Discussion, Turns 3 - 20

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
[starting this thread so that we don't have to have a new thread for each turn. This will be easier to keep track of discussion for this part of the game. Lets discuss the upcoming turns here, and use a separate thread for the Turn Updates 3-20.]

Well, what should we name the capital?

I like the idea of naming our cities after concepts ... starting with our capital: Entropia

I really am fond of this one.

Also, maybe we should become a little more organized. We need some way to track turns and maintain discussion. This is a great way to do discussion (assuming a read you correctly) but we should also have one turn thread with turn updates.

Right now we have like three threads for each turn we've had, this is going to add up quick! I suggest we make one turn thread similar to the way we were doing them with our pitboss game (examples 1, 2). Things that should always be in the turn updates are things like research, military movements, attacks/defense, worker actions, and building updates. I think we need more clear access to important information in an organized fashion.

We also need some way of tracking discussion. vBulletin is a great tool for organization and discussion, if you use it to its fullest.

I suggest that as we finish a turn we post a summary/report in the turn thread and also a small update with a link in the discussion thread with things that need to be discussed.

Example

3920 BC [Also post title and link to turn report]
Discussion topics:

HUSch created a thread to track turns.

There are really several kinds of discussion. There are organizational matters like how many threads to have and how low to let the timer get before someone takes over playing that turn. There are turn by turn decisions to make. And there are strategic discussions like the one I just started to ask whether we should save gold for events. Then we have the info type threads like the aforementioned turn tracker.

Would it help to make liberal use of stick/unstick. One advantage of having a mod on the team is we don't have to bother GA for that. :)

We're on the clock now.

Another screenshot with slightly more info.

The tile N of the warrior is coastal. The three tiles ENE, 2E, ESE (69, 66, 63) are all forest.

Going NE (9) would mean we can't look at the tiles 3S of the warrior's current position until the 2nd warrior or later. It will show the tile 2N of current position, which is probably coastal. It looks like the tile 9,9 of the warrior is also a forest.

Going SE (3) only reveals 2 tiles this turn but going SE again puts us on that hill. The tiles N, E, and SE of that hill seem to be jungle. SW of the hill is either jungle or forest.

Given the jungle border seems to run diagonally to the NE, I'm now leaning towards a move NE this turn.

In other news, here's the demographics screen as it now appears.

Of course, not much changed other than the creative civ's borders popped. I think the life expectancy number might mean we're the only ones settled on fresh water, unless we got a :health: bonus from our civ/leader.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0047.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0047.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 168
I would move the warrior 9.
Later on (after we know the tiles in the NE) we can discuss weather it's more useful to keep moving NE or go to SE...

Dave
In the turn track should be list every turn the moves and changes, for replay. That isn't important now but later on with more towns and some units, it's better this way.

Also, just in case it hasn't been mentioned before: The turnplayer must post that he has played in the turntracker thread in the UN, as well as posting turnupdates in our own forum. This is an important part of the game, and should not be ignored :old:

Here's a link to the UN Turntracker thread, complete with 'goto last post' :)

NE = NorthEast
ENE = the tile reached if moving due East, then North, then East again.

9 = the number pad key you press when moving (if you're not playing on a laptop ;)) = NE
696 = ENE
13 = SouthWest, then SouthEast

and so on....

It took me a while at first to figure it out - I though people were suggesting to move the warrior 9 tiles! :lol:

Yes, it's easier to use the number pad. So NE-NE-E is 996 for example.

Yeah, I think, for simplicities sake, we should try to stick with the numpad and general directions. I think your losing some of us with the ENE, 13, and 696 stuff, lol. ;)

I agree with moving NE for now as well...

Funny, I think the ENE is easier to understand.... but it's easy to forget that our team speaks many different languages!

Yes, let's adopt the number pad system.

Which turn we now discusse,
In one fred, that is the question, relate the last post to turn 3 or 4, perhaps both.

peter
some times one would post for the next and another times you want to say something about the last turn. Then it's better to have a fred for every turn.

I can't remember all post in this fred and I 've no interest allways to look for the posts I've read for information of the next turn.

It's really simple:

One thread for posting the turn update (only person posting there is the turn player)

One thread for posting discussion for the upcoming turn, it also becomes a continuous discussion of the actions we're planning. Much better than having a separate thread for every turn!

Top Bottom