1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion: What should be researched?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Ankka, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I was thinking of putting this up, so we could have a little discussion here on what to research ater Monotheism and also a little more far-sighted discussion.

AFAIK, we got Monotheism from CGN, and we are going to trade Chivalry for something. Now, what should we research?

Discuss, all opinions are appreciated and wanted. Even the ones you think are stupid...:D

2. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Well, we still don't have a deal with Netatolia about Chivalry, but I think we'll get it.

Anyway, since everyone else are going for Invention and gunpowder, I guess we should take the other way to.. Theology? (The tech between Monotheism and Education andways)

3. croxis

croxis Chat room op

I agree, I was doing something like this in my single player game, except all the Ais were going for Education rout, so I went invention/gunpowder

4. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Trip of Apolyton told me of an idea that Poly had to allow us to have a much faster tech rate than either one of us could achieve alone.

CGN can research techs at a much faster rate than either of us acting alone can (6-8 turns on most of them). Therefore, Poly and we can act together to research the techs. We would drop our slider to 0% and pull in as much gold as possible. We would gift this gold at regular intervals to Poly, who would then work at a much faster rate than they normally could, using defecit spending supported by our gold. Once they research the tech (or buy it from CGN) they would gift it to us. This plan would be put into effect starting 18 turns from now, when Poly researches Invention naturally, while we are meanwhile building up a large amount of gold.

So, how does it sound?

5. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

I like the developing gold idea. The technologies cost too much money and will take too much time to even worth spending how much we spend now. We should develop an economy and infastructure (libraries and marketplaces) and buy techs until we are ready to start researching them. I also think peace should be made with GCA (if it is or not, I am kinda behind) so our infastructure can be made for war and until we get the necessary technologies to defeat them. Military upkeep wont help this at all and spending our shields on worthless troops wont help either when we can just wait a little bit, buy techs (Chivalry) and build the troops which are worth the shields.

Attacking with no infastructure or industry is why we have not won this war yet. We have the potential, according to our geography (grassland and mountains) and should be able to use it to good use.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    The first question to as is, "What is Apolyton researching?". If we know what they are reasearching, we can cooperate and research on what they have not and trade with them.

7. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

That is not the goal of this proposal. Instead, it is to help Apolyton get the gold they need to follow a research path (namely the invention and gunpowder path), and we would be gifted the techs after they research them. So we would basically be following only one path, however we would be following that path much faster than if we both choose different ones and gift the technologies to each other that way. In fact, with maximum research, Poly can get gunpowder in 4 or 5 turns. Also, CGN is believed to be following the theology and education route in their research.

8. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I like that idea, if Poly and CGN both think it's ok, we could be a powerful triad. :)

We and poly could smash GCA, and CGN could cripple GWT...:nya:

9. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

As GBM stated in the firechat thread, we need to decide what to research now. And I want a discussion on this. And info on what we have.

Thanks.

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I like Trip's proposal. It also means we don't have to focus on building libraries, and can be the world's economic superpower (wishful thinkin)

11. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

Let's go for Theology.

12. croxis

croxis Chat room op

I think we shoudl go with trip too.

13. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I would second that :)

14. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Oh, I almost forgot Trip's idea, but I like it. :)

If CGN is wishing top be in the pact, it would be a great plan. :)

15. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Hm... Just remembered it still has to be ratified by all the three of us, so please Zarn say to them that at least the Science department supports the idea.

Should this be polled? We need to discuss this thorougly, and I don't know how far this has ben planned, or has it only been suggested by Trip at a chat.

16. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

I think the outcome of this chat is that we will help pay for Poly's research.

If there are any disagreements, we will poll the issue.

17. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Yes, that is a good idea.

How about trade techs with CGN, then?