District Discount Mechanism

I don't look down on people based on this. Sorry for letting you have a feeling about that. But I do believe a longer finishing time is less persuasive on anything you say. What you said about the mechanism is correct, but if you attached a save, a >200t finish just tells everyone to do the reverse of what the author said.

Alright, fair enough. I just don't understand this obsession about finishing dates. CIV is heavily based on RNG, especially when going for peaceful victories.

In this particular round, I was stuck with 7 cities on turn 100 and wanted to colonize other continents on -20 loyalty tiles (it worked, thanks to Hic Sunt Dracones GA bonus). In the end, I had 13 satellite cities but since they were all coastal, I didn't prioritize campuses right away.

The screenshot is only here to show that it works. 100 peacefully constructed districts in 221 turns means roughly 2 completed districts per turn. In my book, that's a successful use of this mechanism :lol:.

I dont get the discount mechanism. Why does it exist? To encourage players to build all of one district type before the next tech/civic? But tech/civics usually finish way faster than build times anyway...so it will just keep resetting...
No, that's not how it works. The deciding factor is how many districts you build in total, the type of district doesn't matter. You can spam campuses to get the discount for all the other districts for example.
You only want to delay researching some of the techs to keep "a" at a low value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, im confused.

Lets say I build 4 campuses. Somehow that gives me a discount for all other districts, but the discount is lost if i research a tech/civic?

Uh, im confused.

Lets say I build 4 campuses. Somehow that gives me a discount for all other districts, but the discount is lost if i research a tech/civic?

Only if you research a tech/civic that unlocks a new specialty district because that increases "a". At that point you MIGHT need more districts than you currently have to keep the discount.

It's hard to tell why you are confused. I guess words are more confusing than math. ^^

I used my formula from page 2 and made a quick spreadsheet on a piece of paper. At any point in the game I can look at it and know how many districts I need in total to unlock the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. discount.

I keep getting 11 not 9 or 10 for the max - Am I missing something?
Campus
Commercial Hub
Government Plaza
Encampment
Holy Site
Harbor
Theater Square
Entertainment
Industrial Zone
Waterpark
Aerodrome

I keep getting 11 not 9 or 10 for the max - Am I missing something?
Campus
Commercial Hub
Government Plaza
Encampment
Holy Site
Harbor
Theater Square
Entertainment
Industrial Zone
Waterpark
Aerodrome

Wow, I feel stupid now. That explains why I ran into some problems in late game. I calculated with a = 10 :D

I edit my posts so others dont get confused.

Only if you research a tech/civic that unlocks a new specialty district because that increases "a". At that point you MIGHT need more districts than you currently have to keep the discount.

It's hard to tell why you are confused. I guess words are more confusing than math. ^^

I used my formula from page 2 and made a quick spreadsheet on a piece of paper. At any point in the game I can look at it and know how many districts I need in total to unlock the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. discount.

Can you upload the spreadsheet please?

Also im still confused as to what the point of the district discount is. Its not referened ingame. Whats the aim of it?

Can you upload the spreadsheet please?

Also im still confused as to what the point of the district discount is. Its not referened ingame. Whats the aim of it?

But IT IS already referenced in the game: when the discount applies, you will simply see that some districts take less time to build than others.
The formulas proposed here will only help you predict when such a discount will occur in the game.

As to WHY...

1. Victory Condition Incentive
Win conditions: strongly incentivize you to build only 1 type of district (maybe a 2nd type)
ie religious victory => get as much faith as possible => build as many holy sites as possible
(BUT maybe you need some Trade Routes to increase food and production so that you can work more tiles with faith yields)
(BUT maybe you could generate more faith through Combat with the God of War pantheon, so maybe you could use an Encampment)

2. District Discount Mechanism Incentive
This discount mechanic only incentivize you to:
  1. Avoid as much as possible Civics or Techs that unlock districts that you do not need to win ie making "variable a" (as presented in OP) as small as possible
  2. Go as wide as possible to increase the potential of making "variable b" (as presented in OP) as big as possible

...I will let you draw your own conclusion

Sorry for reply in to old post, didn't want to make a new thread...

I am facinated with this discount district mechanic but I haven't been able to reproduce it.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

3 attempts as follows: tech into Bronze Working then Writing, build 2 Encampment to get discount Campus.
Issue: no discount on Campus.

According to conditions outlined in OP, I should have a discount. Bronze Working + Writing = 2 (a). Encampment x2 = 2 (b).
b>=a, and b/a=1>0 Campuses.

What am I missing? I verified no Astrology, no State Workforce, no Drama and Poetry learned.

I am facinated with this discount district mechanic but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

3 attempts as follows: tech into Bronze Working then Writing, build 2 Encampment to get discount Campus.

According to conditions outlined in OP, I should have a discount. Bronze Working + Writing = 2 (a). Encampment x2 = 2 (b).

What am I missing? I verified no Astrology, no State Workforce, no Drama and Poetry learned.

Remember that you need to finish a civic or a tech to "update" the discount. Other than that, your example works fine.

Did you finish both encampments first or just start them? Did you have state workforce if on R&F?

Remember that you need to finish a civic or a tech to "update" the discount. Other than that, your example works fine.

This seems to have fixed my issue. I believe I got 2 discount campuses in a row. Thank for the tip!

Will any tech/civic work to "update" the discount or does it have to be one that unlocks a district?

Also what does b>=a mean?

Isn't it just b=a?

In the above example. He has Bronze Working and Writing. 2 (a) and two encampments. 2 (b)

So

a (2) = b (2)
2/2 = 1

1 is bigger than the 0 campuses he owns. So he gets a discount on 1 campus.

Have I understood this correctly?

What's the > for?

Last edited:
Will any tech/civic work to "update" the discount or does it have to be one that unlocks a district?
Yes, any tech/civic works.

Also what does b>=a mean?
Isn't it just b=a?
What's the > for?

It's b=a only for the first discount. For the 2nd discount b must be >a. For example if a=3, you need 4 districts (b=4) to get 2 of each type of unlocked district discounted, 7 districts (b=7) for 3 discounts etc.
You can use my formula on page 2, post #35 to calculate these exact values for b.

Have I understood this correctly?
Yes, you have ^^

Last edited:
Yes, any tech/civic works.

It's b=a only for the first discount. For the 2nd discount b must be >a. For example if a=3, you need 4 districts (b=4) to get 2 of each type of unlocked district discounted, 7 districts (b=7) for 3 discounts etc.
You can use my formula on page 2, post #35 to calculate these exact values for b.

Yes, you have ^^
Holy moly. This has made things less clear not more.

Let me see if I can unravel this.

So it's a=b for the first discount of each type or the first discount full stop?

And then subsequently b>a for the second district of each type or the second district (and every one after)

Finally an example.

Let's say I have researched writing, astrology and currency. I have 4 campuses.

a=3 and b=4 This satisfies your example above.

So I now get 2 districts of every type I have unlocked discounted?

So 2 Holy Sites, 2 Campuses and 2 Commercial Hubs?

Let's leave it here for now. I do have more questions but we'll break it down bit by bit.

Is my understanding correct so far?

EDIT: Forgive my poor manners. Thank you very much for helping me try to understand this. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Holy moly. This has made things less clear not more.

Let me see if I can unravel this.

So it's a=b for the first discount of each type or the first discount full stop?

Yeah my wording was a bit lazy ^^. It's a=b for the first discount of each type. Same with b>a.

Finally an example.

Let's say I have researched writing, astrology and currency. I have 4 campuses.

a=3 and b=4 This satisfies your example above.

Yes, that's correct. Just to be clear though, you do have 2 campuses already. The 5th campus obviously isn't discounted at this point. Only holy sites and commercial hubs.

Ok good. Feel like I'm getting somewhere. In your example it sounded like I'd be getting 6 discounted districts, but the reality is it's only 4.

By my reckoning if a=3 and b=4 then 4 is the maximum amount of discounts available.

Also in the example of b=7 and a=3 the maximum amount of discounts available would be 6.

I think.

Assuming you had 7 districts of any one type. Which would be the way to maximise the amount of discounts available to you.

I think.

Crikey this is convoluted. :D

Ok good. Feel like I'm getting somewhere. In your example it sounded like I'd be getting 6 discounted districts, but the reality is it's only 4.

By my reckoning if a=3 and b=4 then 4 is the maximum amount of discounts available.

To be honest, it's better to use the formula I mentioned.

b = a*(n-1) + 1

If a=3 and you want a discount for the first 2 (n=2) of each type of district you have unlocked so far, then it's b=3*(2-1)+1=4 ... you need 4 districts. So 4 campuses would work.

I think this is where your confusion comes from. When I say you get 2 districts of each type discounted, I mean the FIRST 2 of each type of district. In this example, you already have 4 campuses, the first 2 campuses are already finished. But the 1st and 2nd holy site and the 1st and 2nd commercial hub is discounted.

I get what you're saying and your formula works. But it is a little misleading.

It's not a discount on 2 districts of every type you have unlocked because you have to use some of the districts that you have unlocked to satisfy the formula. So for example like we discussed if you have 4 campuses you wouldn't get any further discounts on campuses (and therefore it's inaccurate to say you get 2 of each type of district you have unlocked discounted)

The amount of discounts you get depends entirely on the make up of your 4 districts.

So I'm using your formula and then trying to use it to work out the maximum number of discounts available.

Top Bottom