District Discount Mechanism

Lily_Lancer

Deity
District Discount Mechanism was a mysterious thing, but after examination I figured it out today.

First, district cost:

Spaceport:1800

Others:

Cost=(1+9*max(percent of science/percent of culture) researched)*base_cost, usually base_cost=54,
except for Aq=36, Government Plaza=30, Cost is fixed upon placement.

UD=50% original cost

Discounted District: The discounted district costs 60% than its original cost, 75% for government plaza.

This discount only applies to districts except Spaceport, Aqeduet and Neighborhood.

It shall satisfy the following conditions.

1: a=number of tech/civics you have researched that allows you to build a district (except Aq/Sp/Ne)
2: b= district you have built (require full district instead of district bases, except Aq/Sp/Ne)

Condition:

1: b>=a, if a>b no discount is applied.
2: b/a> your total number of that type of district(include full district and district bases)

Under such circumstances the cost is discounted for a certain type of district. (except Aq,Sp,Ne)

Also, a and b are refreshed if and only if you finish a tech or civic.

Mention @antimony , you made a wrong understanding. Only a and b are refreshed this way, and "your total number of that type of district (base+full)" is refreshed immediately.

Example: If you can built Holy Site and Campus, while cannot build other type of districts, you build 2 holy sites, you get a=b=2, which satisfy condition 1, then b/a=1>0=num of campuses, so then you get a discount for your first campus.

But if you researched Currency before that, then you get b=2 and a=3, which does not satisfy condition 1, in that case you don't get a discounted campus.

@Victoria ,I think you have been working on it for a long time, and your idea of the discount only get refreshed when sci/civ being finished helps a lot.

Also @c4c6 and lots of other users contributed to this.

Last edited:
Thank you @Lily_Lancer ... I knew it was there somewhere but gave up because the testing was dull and also it depended on restart of not as to the effects which seem to delay a turn unless you load.

I tip my hat to you sir and I know a certain admin on MP will be pleased also.

Thank you @Lily_Lancer ... I knew it was there somewhere but gave up because the testing was dull and also it depended on restart of not as to the effects which seem to delay a turn unless you load.

I tip my hat to you sir and I know a certain admin on MP will be pleased also.
There is one thing I would like to mention that the original research on the district discount is in a Chinese forum.
here is the link(unfortunately it is in Chinese):
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5436448944
Lily should at least make a citation or quotation for a basic respect to the researchers.

There is one thing I would like to mention that the original research on the district discount is in a Chinese forum.
Lily should at least make a citation or quotation for a basic respect to the researchers.

I don't know what you're talking about. @Victoria and many other players began working on this long time ago. And I did a lot of experiments on that.

If you discover sth., you shall publish it, instead of saying nothing, then begin claiming credit after someone else discovers it.

Can you please provide the date they identified it. It looks like most of the thread is Noivember to december this year? I cannot read Chinese and so cannot have looked at that site so why should it get any credit anyway? I applaud anyone who looks at stuff to work it out but it is not for fame. I do it purely because I enjoy doing so.

For the record... the original thread we started is here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/district-costs.617087/
The venerable @CPL_Yoshi started it for a MP site on the 12th June. You will see @Lily_Lancer was involved then also so his citation is correct. I doubt he can read Chinese either.
Did they find the answer like Lily did?

the original research on the district discount is in a Chinese forum
I have no idea what you mean by original reasearch. There is threads in other forums in October last year, they were quite wrong but they did research in this area and identified district costs.

Last edited:

Speaking of Chinese players, I recall one called "11248", I met him in MP game, and he is definitely one of the best Chinese players, I used to learn a lot from him. Maybe it is him who found the formula himself independently and posted on your forum? If this work is done by him I'm happy to mention him.

Otherwise I'm not sure if it is correct. For example in Gotm 27, some Chinese came and got a good finish date, but it turns out that they didn't obey the rules. So I have to make reasonable doubt for Chinese forum discoveries.

As @Victoria point out, we're much earlier in terms of research on this issue, so they shall cite us. Not sure if they have cited us.

Last edited:
Can you please provide the date they identified it. It looks like most of the thread is Noivember to december this year? I cannot read Chinese and so cannot have looked at that site so why should it get any credit anyway? I applaud anyone who looks at stuff to work it out but it is not for fame. I do it purely because I enjoy doing so.

For the record... the original thread we started is here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/district-costs.617087/
The venerable @CPL_Yoshi started it for a MP site on the 12th June. You will see @Lily_Lancer was involved then also so his citation is correct. I doubt he can read Chinese either.
Did they find the answer like Lily did?

I have no idea what you mean by original reasearch. There is threads in other forums in October last year, they were quite wrong but they did research in this area and identified district costs.

I'm sorry that this guy questioned such directly and rudely. I'm one of the administrators of the Chinese forum and I knew this just two hours ago.
I'm here not for arguing who was the first who found the formula. I like the atmosphere of CFC and I really don't want to break that. I respect all players who dig into this game, so please trust me I am friendly.
I think it's unfair to you that just listen to what Lily said. I'll tell you something about who 11248lly is and what he did.
To tell the truth, all people who know this guy considering lily as another ID of 11248lly. I know that it's nearly impossible to prove this, but I believe a civ player can make his/her own decision sanely. So please listen to what I will say below.

If there are some words that make you uncomfortable, tell me please and I'll not use those words.

To tell the truth, all people who know this guy considering lily as another ID of 11248lly.
Hi @Wandering_Dandelion, thank you for your reply.
You seemed to finish your post early before you said anything. Feel free to PM me if you want.
I am not one of the best players nor do I want to get credit for anything. I just help out with some hard work when others have the brain power.
I am happy to credit people where it is right.
The only thing I care about is understanding the rules.

Hi @Wandering_Dandelion, thank you for your reply.
You seemed to finish your post early before you said anything. Feel free to PM me if you want.
I am not one of the best players nor do I want to get credit for anything. I just help out with some hard work when others have the brain power.
I am happy to credit people where it is right.
The only thing I care about is understanding the rules.

I think he is just making reprisals about me pointing out his disobeying the rules. His words are ridiculous.

I have to admit that it is "11248"who introduces the builder starter and not building CHs for me. Moreover, he also introduced a very valuable value system. (The 2prod=1science=1culture system, it is very useful.) Our contact is basically a few words when we're grouped together in an MP game, but he really helped me a lot, and his gameplay is fantastic, too.

It is an honor to be treated as him. Although that Chinese forum admin seems hostile.

Last edited:
Rise and Fall Update

1: Government Plaza and Water Park are counted in the discount mechanism.
2: Government Plaza has a base production of 30, but will only -25% cost if being discounted
3: Water Park has a base production of 160, triples other districts, making it actually as expensive as a Spaceport.

Rise and Fall Update

1: Government Plaza and Water Park are counted in the discount mechanism.
2: Government Plaza has a base production of 30, but will only -25% cost if being discounted
3: Water Park has a base production of 160, triples other districts, making it actually as expensive as a Spaceport.

Couple of things - I really don't understand devs rationale about these production costs. Whats so special about the water park to warrant such a high cost. Similar with that food market that costs 400+ production and gives 3 food in return... c'mon.

As for the district discounts - the fact that Government Plaza couts as a district is both good and bad. Bad as in - it reduces the opportunity to chase discounts and good because by doing that makes the game more relaxed.

Couple of things - I really don't understand devs rationale about these production costs. Whats so special about the water park to warrant such a high cost. Similar with that food market that costs 400+ production and gives 3 food in return... c'mon.

As for the district discounts - the fact that Government Plaza couts as a district is both good and bad. Bad as in - it reduces the opportunity to chase discounts and good because by doing that makes the game more relaxed.

There's always garbage buildings.

Food Market are build in neighborhoods, if someone builds a neighborhood I guess he already does not care about profit or something, so it's not surprising to add a Food Market for him to build.

Update 2

If you have Reyna, the discount does not work when purchasing districts, but appears on the screen and allows you to purchase when you only have enough money to buy a discounted district. It will always cost the amount of a full district, so you may go bankrupt if you do that when your money is between a full district and a discounted district

Purchasing districts cost 4x its production( rounded down to 5)

Update 2

If you have Reyna, the discount does not work when purchasing districts, but appears on the screen and allows you to purchase when you only have enough money to buy a discounted district. It will always cost the amount of a full district, so you may go bankrupt if you do that when your money is between a full district and a discounted district

Purchasing districts cost 4x its production( rounded down to 5)

Project cost overruns finally implemented in Civ. :)

Thanks to all who delve deeply into the mysteries of the game. Can someone tell me how, or even if, the formula is affected by the pantheon that gives a 25% discount for the first district built in a city?

Thanks to all who delve deeply into the mysteries of the game. Can someone tell me how, or even if, the formula is affected by the pantheon that gives a 25% discount for the first district built in a city?

No, that pathenon adds a 25% bonus to your production instead.

Wow I always thought it was dependent on the number of districts built by the AI.

So if I do get two early holy sites, I can get one discounted campus before I hit currency?
What about two discounted campuses? Would I need 3 holy sites before currency?
3/2 = 1.5 which is >1 ?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom