DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, if the Zulus were added at some point, they could be white and black (like Japan is white and deep red) and it wouldn't clash with any current civs. The religious CS are the opposite colouration. That would sort of match Zulu shields. It would also match dairy cows, but still, it's something.

You know, if the Zulus were added at some point, they could be white and black (like Japan is white and deep red) and it wouldn't clash with any current civs. The religious CS are the opposite colouration. That would sort of match Zulu shields. It would also match dairy cows, but still, it's something.
The tan and brown from Civ V would still work for them. Civ VI seems to have a preference for flag colors. The colors of the Zulu flag were green, red, and yellow. So two of those in some combination are feasible as well.

Zheng He could be used as a Renaissance-era Great Diplomat, as well as Matteo Ricci.

This would be the ideal moment to have Talleyrand in the game.

If the improved espionage will be a thing, I'm hoping for a Pentagon wonder.
What exactly is wondrous about the Pentagon? It's a five sided building: truly it must take a master architect to take a square building and add another side to it. :sad:

What exactly is wondrous about the Pentagon? It's a five sided building: truly it must take a master architect to take a square building and add another side to it. :sad:

The wonderousness of it is that it was the largest office building in the world by area when it was built. It occupies 33.8 acres. That courtyard in the middle is 5 acres big. There are 17 miles of corridors. 23,000 people are employed within it. It has 6 zip codes.

The wonderousness of it is that it was the largest office building in the world by area when it was built. It occupies 33.8 acres. That courtyard in the middle is 5 acres big. There are 17 miles of corridors. 23,000 people are employed within it. It has 6 zip codes.
To each their own, I guess. To me it's a giant ugly slab of concrete and glorified office complex, with no architectural feats, aesthetic charm, or philosophical or theological grounding to recommend it. Then again, the divorce of the arts from philosophy and theology is part of what I hate about the modern era.

Wow, it's like a small town!

To each their own, I guess. To me it's a giant ugly slab of concrete and glorified office complex, with no architectural feats, aesthetic charm, or philosophical or theological grounding to recommend it. Then again, the divorce of the arts from philosophy and theology is part of what I hate about the modern era.

It's no beauty, but the functionality can't be beat. It is clear that it is an implement of war. Despite its size, a person can get from any one point in the facility to another in less than 7.5 minutes.

It's no beauty, but the functionality can't be beat. It is clear that it is an implement of war. Despite its size, a person can get from any one point in the facility to another in less than 7.5 minutes.
IMO, anything that functional is infrastructure, not a wonder. If they could find some other way to implement it--for example, if national wonders returned--that might make sense, but IMO it lacks the aesthetic and metaphysical qualities of a world wonder. (Incidentally, I'd say the same thing about some "wonders" already in game, like the Ruhr Valley.)

IMO, anything that functional is infrastructure, not a wonder. If they could find some other way to implement it--for example, if national wonders returned--that might make sense, but IMO it lacks the aesthetic and metaphysical qualities of a world wonder. (Incidentally, I'd say the same thing about some "wonders" already in game, like the Ruhr Valley.)

I'm an engineer. To me infrastructure is wonderful.

I'm an engineer. To me infrastructure is wonderful.
Fair. I'm an aesthete (*points to Kahlil Gibran in signature*), so to me if it has a practical purpose it's not art. :p (That's not entirely true: I'm more Aristotelian than Wildian in my views; I regard art as the manifestation of Truth and Beauty rather than simply "art for art's sake"--but I still emphasize the transcendental nature of art over the practical. To me a cathedral is more beautiful because it is not simply an impressive building but the physical manifestation of a theology, for example.)

I think for the gameplay, I think some wonders 'not wondrous' can be interesting inclusions such as Ruhr Valley and Estádio do Maracanã and perhaps the Pentagon.

Edit: In other words, if you want an industry like wonder, Ruhr Valley is a good option. If you want a stadium like wonder, Estádio do Maracanã is a good option. Whether you want a game end wonderl for military use or espionage, the Pentagon is a great name.

Last edited:
Fair. I'm an aesthete (*points to Kahlil Gibran in signature*), so to me if it has a practical purpose it's not art. :p (That's not entirely true: I'm more Aristotelian than Wildian in my views; I regard art as the manifestation of Truth and Beauty rather than simply "art for art's sake"--but I still emphasize the transcendental nature of art over the practical. To me a cathedral is more beautiful because it is not simply an impressive building but the physical manifestation of a theology, for example.)

I see infrastructure and marvel at the number of lives that are affected by it, the amount of hard work it took to achieve it, and the innovations that were developed so that it could exist. And sometimes there is beauty in it, like arches in bridges and aqueducts.

I would love to see a wonder for the Appian Way - infrastructure for sure, but it has had a huge impact on history.

Then again, when I enter cathedrals - especially older ones - my main take away is "ancient people were pretty awesome engineers to be able to make something like this" - I don't really look at the stained glass.

For diplomacy (esp. city states) related wonders, there would be the Reichstag-building. *hinthint*

You can also take the long way - it's possible to walk from the bottom floor to the top floor without using any stairs/elevators.
So many people work there that they have to stagger all of the work shifts or it would be an even worse traffic nightmare than it already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom