• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

DLC + Modding = ?

Trickster7135

Prince
DLC will add new civilizations, ect for money payments. Doing something like this would be pretty silly if you have complete freedom to mod in new civilizations, ect. The only way DLC like this would work is if they disable adding new civs into the game. Anyone else worried?

DLC will add new civilizations, ect for money payments. Doing something like this would be pretty silly if you have complete freedom to mod in new civilizations, ect. The only way DLC like this would work is if they disable adding new civs into the game. Anyone else worried?
There have been a lot of official statements that mods won't be gated or subject to DRM restrictions. So yes, this means there's probably going to be a lot of folks trying to pirate the DLC content.

Well, I don't mean to show any disrespect to our modders, but I think Fraxis is the only one that has the resources to create full fledged character models and voices in the game. So that would be at least one reason to buy DLC...

Well, I don't mean to show any disrespect to our modders, but I think Fraxis is the only one that has the resources to create full fledged character models and voices in the game. So that would be at least one reason to buy DLC...

This ^

The modders, try as they may, simply don't have the resources to compete with Firaxis.

So can someone change like 2 letters in the DLC XML file and call that a mod then upload it? Is this legal?

I love how people think modding in leaders is so easy! Civ iv leaders were one thing, this is a whole new ballgame. I'm sure modders will be able to use the leaders in game already and reskined them, but I don't think it will be anywhere near the quality of future dlc civs. Atleast not for a few years.

I love how people think modding in leaders is so easy! Civ iv leaders were one thing, this is a whole new ballgame. I'm sure modders will be able to use the leaders in game already and reskined them, but I don't think it will be anywhere near the quality of future dlc civs. Atleast not for a few years.

I wouldn't mind reskins in all honestly.

Really? What do you think?

Yes? :p

Perhaps Fraxis will be a nice company and make the DLC free considering how easy it would be to pirate.

>_> Hey, it could happen.

They might as well get the money from those who will pay for it.

But one could easily make the argument that Fraxis could make a bigger profit by touting free DLC, enticing more people to by their $50 product.

It's a long shot, I know, but one can dream.

Fallout 3 had an extremely versatile modding tool set, Betheseda used the same tool set to create their own DLC which they charged for, the DLC they sold was locked and encrypted so that it couldn't be tampered with.

DLC does not mean that modders will be limited in their content, nor does it mean that DLC will be easy to pirate.

I, for one, am not buying DLC for this game.

If I want variety, I'd turn and support the modding community. What Dane and Wolfshanze did for Civ 4 was amazing. Not to mention Rhye's work as well, and Fall From Heaven! That was something else. The modders have turned Civ 4 into something Firaxis couldn't even dream of back in 2005. And I can already think of two really good mods that would work well with the new Civ 5 game systems. One, of course, is a WW1 mod. The 1upt and ranged units tie into that perfectly. Another would be a "Pirates" mod. The Hexes are practically perfect for naval movement and renaming and altering the Social Policies Tree would provide an opportunity to grow RPG style. Rename the Honor Tree "Weapons Training" and change the Warrior Code policy to "Improved Cannons" for example. The possibilities are endless.

Fallout 3 had an extremely versatile modding tool set, Betheseda used the same tool set to create their own DLC which they charged for, the DLC they sold was locked and encrypted so that it couldn't be tampered with.

DLC does not mean that modders will be limited in their content, nor does it mean that DLC will be easy to pirate.

Exactly. Not to mention that it would be illegal to mod this and share the mod over sites like CivFanatics and would probably incur cease and desist letters from the devs to the site.

But one could easily make the argument that Fraxis could make a bigger profit by touting free DLC, enticing more people to by their $50 product.

It's a long shot, I know, but one can dream.

If they are willing to steal the DLC then they are probably willing to steal the game.

I own Fallout 3, but I dont own any of the dlc, though I have played it before, through a friend. Its easier than youd think, to pirate, but I dont condone it!

nor does it mean that DLC will be easy to pirate.

It will probably be just as easy to pirate as the game will be, and other Steam powered DLC. (In other words, it has been done before)

Top Bottom