1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DLL development discussions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Koshling, Aug 28, 2013.

1. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

There are actually not that many calls over the DLL boundaries that are problematic. Main issue are the few ones that use vectors or pass CvString and similar or return it.
    It seems like several of the programmers at Firaxis were aware of the issues of passing STL classes over DLL boundaries and some were not.
    The calls into and from the DLL are not that performance relevant in general because the AI turns happen nearly entirely in the DLL.

In regards to Python: The calls from Python to the DLL do not touch the exe at all but currently they do go over a Boost Python DLL. In my tests I bypassed that by linking a new version of Boost Python statically which then directly communicates with the Python24.dll.

2. wowa30

wowa30 Chieftain

Can I make 512 civilizations instead of 50? Then I can make a script of my dreams on a huge map of medieval Europe

3. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

Can you post the changes that you made to Boost Python? I want to do some testing with newer versions.

4. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

We have a rare CTD then a new City is founded. I saw this one happening a couple times in the last 3 Months and it was never really repeatable. What can be the issue that leads to a CTD in marked line?

Code:
    void CvCity::FlushCanConstructCache(BuildingTypes eBuilding)
    {
    	//OutputDebugString(CvString::format("[%d] FlushCanConstructCache (%d), workitem priority = %08lx\n", GetCurrentThreadId(), eBuilding, (m_workItem == NULL ? -1 : m_workItem->GetPriority())).c_str());
    	EnterCriticalSection(&m_cCanConstructCacheSection);

if ( eBuilding == NO_BUILDING )
    	{
    		[B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]SAFE_DELETE(m_bCanConstruct);[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    	}
    	else if ( m_bCanConstruct != NULL )
    	{
    		(*m_bCanConstruct).erase(eBuilding);
    	}

LeaveCriticalSection(&m_cCanConstructCacheSection);
    }

5. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Likely cause is that the m_bCanConstruct pointer is not initialized to NULL in the constructor of CvCity.

6. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

m_bCanConstruct is a mutable std::map<int,bool>* should i try to initialize it to NULL or new std::map<int,bool>();?
    It's not crashing everytime and if it crashes i load the save from the turn before and the city is founded on the same plot, by the same settler.... without a crash.

7. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Initilize it to NULL. That way the SAFE_DELETE will not attempt to delete it (which is bad if there is a random non NULL value in there from whatever was in memory before the city instance was constructed).
    Some other piece of the code will create the map once it is needed.

8. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

Thanks for the help!

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm wondering if I can trust the results I'm getting by applying a new trick I've figured out with a minidump file.

If I can... this is a problem I cannot begin to hope to be able to self-determine a solution for and will need some advice. I believe we've seen this sort of thing before but I can't fathom how it happens nor how to determine that nor how to fix it.

When I pull up these mini's I've been getting (which don't repeat for me but then maybe that's BECAUSE I'M RUNNING THE DEBUGGER TO CHECK THEM) I get the following in the call stack:
    Code:

73616220()	
    >	CvGameCoreDLL.dll!CvUnitAI::AI_update()  Line 430	C++
     	CvGameCoreDLL.dll!CvSelectionGroupAI::AI_update()  Line 293 + 0x7 bytes	C++
     	CvGameCoreDLL.dll!CvPlayerAI::AI_unitUpdate()  Line 1909 + 0xb bytes	C++

My presumption is that the final reference in the stack there is in the EXE?

This only shows when I'm running the minidump in a folder with both the dll and pdb documents in the same folder as the minidump.

When I run it from the Final Release or Debug folder that includes all the codes - not JUST the pdb and dll, I get a very different call stack that runs through a LOT of python calls then ends the same way but never gets back far enough to report anything taking place in the dll.

But here's the trick I discovered that I finally tried tonight: When I double click on the last dll call there in the stack, it directs me to search through my computer for the location of the source files. Guiding it to that source folder it immediately opens up that file and shows where it last visited the function:
    Code:

#ifdef _DEBUG
    	if ( NULL != getGroup() && !isDelayedDeath() )
    	{
    		getGroup()->validateLocations();
    	}
    #endif

return (!isDelayedDeath() && AI_isAwaitingContract());
    }
    Pointing to the last return line there in the AI_Update() function.

Now HERE'S the VERY WEIRD THING: When hovering over isDelayedDeath() it shows a hover that states:
    0x05363be0 CvUnitInfo::isNoRevealMap(void)

Now... if I'm not mistaken, this is telling me that whatever isDelayedDeath() is returning is 'whatever the value of isNoRevealMap(void) happens to be'.

How on Earth does this happen? And of course... how is it repaired?

10. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

I also noticed what you are saying about the minidump.

I think this could be a Compiler Bug and if not :confused:!! This is from the diassembly
    Code:
    		// if no longer automated, then we want to bail
    		return (!isDelayedDeath() && !getGroup()->isAutomated());
    05732400  mov         ecx,esi  
    [COLOR="Red"]05732402  call        CvUnitInfo::isNoRevealMap (05733BE0h) [/COLOR] 
    05732407  test        al,al  
    05732409  jne         $L228152+245h (0573241Dh)  
    0573240B  mov         ecx,esi  
    0573240D  call        CvUnit::getGroup (05697670h)  
    05732412  mov         ecx,eax  
    05732414  call        CvSelectionGroup::isAutomated (056613E0h)  
    05732419  test        al,al  
    0573241B  je          $L228152+29Ah (05732472h)  
    0573241D  pop         edi  
    0573241E  pop         ebp  
    0573241F  pop         esi  
    Code:
    	return (!isDelayedDeath() && AI_isAwaitingContract());
    0573245C  mov         ecx,esi  
    0573245E  call        CvUnitInfo::isNoRevealMap (05733BE0h)  
    It is calling CvUnitInfo::isNoRevealMap and not CvUnit::isDelayedDeath():confused:

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

hmm... compiler error does sound like it might explain the situation. I'm glad you could find further cause to confirm what I'd discovered there. Could this be a matter of my using 7.0 and you 7.1? What other causes could produce such a compiler error do you think?

And of course this is only one theory of who knows what else could explain it.

12. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

I look into this because it is very strange.

Edit:

With a recompiled dll the game still crashes but the diassembly looks fine.
    This means the error has to be somewhere else.

13. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

I strongly suggest that from now on we always perform a Full Rebuild when we build the Dll in the Release or Final_Release configurations. Just using Build can lead to such problems because of the Compiler Optimizations.

14. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

I got around to doing some more tests now and to reduce the complexity I tried the intermediate step of a newer Boost library with the 2003 toolset.
    Boost 1.55.0 caused some building issues so I went with the older 1.44.0 you mentioned.

The main important change is to remove the new and delete overrides (linking statically to the newer Boost library causes some allocations before the gDLL pointer is set properly) and then adding three lines to CvDLLPython.cpp.
    If you are interested I guess we could add a branch for this to the SVN and then I could check that stuff in there.

While the game loads like that, there are several Python issues that need to be addressed. As the Boost Python stuff is split with those changes between EXE and DLL, there are some issues with Boost Python not knowing about a type that the other part has exposed.
    The result is that some calls from Python to C++ fail and vice versa.
    Looks fixable though.

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I haven't looked deeply enough to say but if that's the case, could it be possible that the debug dll taking this action prevents the crash that the final release isn't avoiding somehow?
    Code:
    #ifdef _DEBUG
    	if ( NULL != getGroup() && !isDelayedDeath() )
    	{
    		getGroup()->validateLocations();
    	}
    #endif
    If this is making the difference between crash and no crash then might we want to remove the #ifdef _DEBUG condition entirely?

16. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

If it makes the difference then yes but you have to test it both ways.
    Run the debug without this code and then with it and check if there is a difference.
    Then do the same with the release.

If this code makes the difference the debug should crash without it and the release not crash with it!

And keep this in mind

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah on that last point I always do anyhow. (Well... sometimes a quick adjustment after the main rebuild I won't but I'll always make sure to now.)

18. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

Same here:mischief:

19. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

Sorry for the late answer.
    I'am interested in this but first i want to finish the things i work on right now.

20. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

We have two different CTD's reported. Today i had 2 AIAutoPlay's running and played one game myself in sum about 4000 turns but i never saw one of them. The only thing i found was that sometimes NO_BUILDING is built i found three places in the code there this seems possible.

The one CTD reported by Joe is in CvUnit::killUnconditional but it never happens to me not even with the saves he posted. This makes it very difficult to say if possible changes fix it or not or....

The other one reported by Strategyonly is very :confused: i never had something like this happening.
    Code:
    		// if no longer automated, then we want to bail
    		return (!isDelayedDeath() && !getGroup()->isAutomated());
    05732400  mov         ecx,esi  
    [COLOR="Red"]05732402  call        CvUnitInfo::isNoRevealMap (05733BE0h) [/COLOR] 
    05732407  test        al,al  
    05732409  jne         $L228152+245h (0573241Dh)  
    0573240B  mov         ecx,esi  
    0573240D  call        CvUnit::getGroup (05697670h)  
    05732412  mov         ecx,eax  
    05732414  call        CvSelectionGroup::isAutomated (056613E0h)  
    05732419  test        al,al  
    0573241B  je          $L228152+29Ah (05732472h)  
    0573241D  pop         edi  
    0573241E  pop         ebp  
    0573241F  pop         esi  
    Very strange i would like to help more but i'am very very burned out this week sorry.