do resources seem more scarce since the updates?

In a recent game (just before the most recent update) I had 3 niter in a single city. I haven't seen any observable scarcity that wasn't already there. I always have virtually no access to one of the later resources.

It seems they are scarcer. I play large maps, usually continents and islands, and one of my last games had 7(!) sources of iron throughout the map. 3 were within 6 tiles of each other within the borders of a Mongol city on another continent, in the tundra. Most of the AI's on my large continent were running around with spearmen (later pikes) and horses for half the game, because there were only 2 sources between 6 civs. Swordsmen were non-existent. I was one of only 4 civs with nitre in the game, too, so I ended up trading iron for nitre with my friend Saladin throughout the Renaissance and Industrial just to upgrade my chariots to knights. It was one of the more fun games I've played, actually.

Oil also seems to mainly show up near far-off one or two tile islands while the deserts on the continent stay empty. Not always, but significantly enough that I have noticed games where most oil is offshore and huge deserts may have one nitre and no oil. Having massive Saharas no-one settles in (including the AI, who spams everywhere) because of few resources is now common.

Iron, eh. My latest game I was selling iron all game, so maybe they did something to iron...

Talking of niter, in my current map, on drowning in the stuff. One city has 6 sources either within the boundary or so will be!
So U don't know. It seems that it is less uniform. Uranium certainly seems rarer.

Oil and uranium seem very rare. I was lucky and settled a small island that had 6 oil deposits, but the main continent seemed to have only 1 or 2. I didn't find a uranium deposit the whole game, but the AIs seemed to be getting some...

Playing Earth map, with abundant resources there are tons of them. Each city for me has at least 3 resources. Strategic and luxuries.

I get the impression that Abundant Resources only has a slight effect on the rarer strategic resources. Like it's multiplying all resources by a constant. Twice the usual amount of, say, Amber, means it's all over the place, but twice the current level of Uranium might mean you have two mines on the entire map instead of just one.

Frequencies from the resources.xml file as they currently stand. I'll check through old versions when I get on my laptop tomorrow, bound to have changed in patches somewhere
The oil sea frequency is 8 on all versions
Personally, last game I played there was loads of oil and I do not feel it was always this way in GS. Uranium feels about right too

upload_2020-9-6_22-46-11.png

Last edited:
Frequencies from the resources.xml file as they currently stand. I'll check through old versions when I get on my laptop tomorrow, bound to have changed in patches somewhere
Personally, last game I played there was loads of oil and I do not feel it was always this way in GS. Uranium feels about right too

View attachment 568453
Could you clarify what the frequency means? Obviously, higher means more of them, but what does an 8 actually mean, for instance?

I would like a clarification as well, because I was under the impression these are relative frequencies.

So they could still have modified the absolute amount of strat resources under the hood without touching the frequency of each, and there would still be less. But this sounds like a significant change they'd at least mention in the patch notes.

In amy case, frequency of Horses is now 11. I checked yesterday. Can't recall the other ones. Could swear Uranium has dropped down to 2 and Oil to 5. Or maybe I just have poor memory.

Edit: It's poor memory.

Last edited:
In amy case, frequency of Horses is now 11.
Mine came out of the xP2 resources.xml yesterday but using sqllite I can see it is 11 also so must be in an extra pac somewhere.
Yes, they are relative frequencies
Just fired up a standard continents game and searched for resources
Horse 16
Oil 22
Iron 14
Uranium 6
Niter 14
Aluminium 10

So you can see relative also has a random element but gives you a rough idea. Oil has more because it has a sea and land opportunity

to update, my most recent game had an abundance of oil but a coal shortage....

I had 1 aluminium in my territory but luckily there was an uninhabited tundra island at the south of the map which had 2 aluminium resources on it

For me, oil is feast or famine. Many times there seems to be little oil on land but lots on water tiles next to otherwise useless 1 or 2 tile islands. Even if all you have access to is water-bound oil is close by, you still have to beeline plastics to get to it. By then it may be too late to feed your tanks and artillery, or to wean yourself off of coal power plants.

Top Bottom