1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you Always take Rationalism?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Marshall Thomas, Nov 11, 2013.

1. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Always, it's the policy opener I beeline after I complete Liberty.

2. Beaver79

Beaver79 Warlord

Yes and you should finish it too. Being able to use faith to buy great scientists for the closer makes getting the whole thing worth it. I usually am able to buy 3-4. That helps with any victory condition.

3. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Yes. Always.

4. DarthSheldonPhD

DarthSheldonPhD Warlord

I stand corrected: overlooked that militarism was 2 happy/XP building. Still, you have to agree that a higher percentage of your cities would make workshops/monuments/public schools than barracks/castles, but the point was total happiness available, and I stand corrected.

5. Barghaest

Barghaest King

I agree with you there, I tend to have workshops/monuments/schools in every city while I restrict barracks (after heroic epic - prior I'll build in all but sell unused when it's complete) to my top production cities (usually a third or less of my total city count); however, when I unlock that tenet, my economy is usually strong enough to treat barracks as merely another happiness building and put them in every city.

6. Rombizio

Rombizio Chieftain

Yes. Always. And I always finish it to get the free tech. Science is the key to any other victory. Tech lead is critical.:king:

7. Ninakoru

Ninakoru A deity on Emperor

Rationalism was nerfed, but still you get more than 50% extra sience output plus other science-related bonuses with Rationalism alone. Science is a core resource, needed for every victory condition, and affect every aspect of the game. Now add up the huge boost: rationalism is the best option.

8. Bagi

Bagi Warlord

I play on emperor/immortal and I usually just take the opener at most, secularism if going freedom. Sometimes ignore it altogether.

I'm not a fan of playing every single game the same way just for the sake of having a tech lead by industrial. I can deal being a few techs behind the top AI, if anything it often makes for more interesting games.

9. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

I think rationalism is also well suited for conquerors that have a lot of puppets with trade posts. I forget which policy it is, but one of them gives you 1+ science for each TP.

10. danieladler

danieladler Warlord

Rationalism can easily be skipped at Emperor level, and you still win science victory or any other victory. One of the two trade policy trees are often more attractive for me. But i am one of those who are stuck between "emperor is too easy" and "deity is just boring and corrupt".