1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you cheat? How?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by mcwill123, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Rimland_Thesis

Rimland_Thesis Chieftain

when you loose a unit with 100XP... who doesn't re-load!!! Especially in FFH2

BTW!!!

anyone know how to change the Armaggedon Counter in WorldBuilderMode... ?

2. Lord Alvon

Lord Alvon Chieftain

I usually find my favorite unit and give it a bunch of promotions it would normally never get...
    Or, I change the race of the unit to make the art look cooler...
    It's always fun to have a 4+ movement marksman who can shoot down champions and longbowmen from 3 to 4 squares away...

3. Folket

Folket Deity

II never rreload unless the game crashes which is quite often.

4. Evalis

Evalis Prince

Reloading is a fun part of the game. I use this feature often. Although I've noticed that the auto-save feature automatically seems to save any time you lose a unit.. because it's ghey like that. I've also been known to enter the world editor to kill those impossible monster spawns (this has mostly been in FF and RiFE) with 24 str invisible, 100 combat bonus... Yeah.. love when it wanders in and attacks my city because there weren't any free non-culture tiles available for it to stand upon.

Seriously though... I've lost 99.9% combat odds before.. this shouldn't even be possible. After you hit 95% chance the only possibility of you 'losing' should be to suffer more damage or less damage.

5. Breunor

Breunor Deity

Why shouldn't you lose a 95% combat 5% of the time?

Best wishes,

Breunor

6. Keeper_GFA

Keeper_GFA Prince

Not to offend, but, that has to be one of the most :lol: :crazyeye: statements I've ever seen.

7. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Emperor

It doesn't take long to rack up 100's of combats in civ... you cant expect 99.9% to win forever.

8. SurahAhriman

SurahAhriman Chieftain

I think that's the point though. FFH focuses less on the big macro picture than Civ4, I think, and more on a handful of carefully managed units. Losing a special unit, not through bad planning, or through a tactical blunder, but because you got smacked with a 1 in a thousand loss just sucks.

To use my current game as an example, if Vampire, Blur, Shadowwalk, (etc. Fully buffed) Tum-Tum (who recently freed Brigit) were to die to a rusted, half-health axman with no defensive bonuses, I'd almost certainly be reloading. I know the game is in feature lock, but I would support/use a small change or modmod that would make it such that losses with a greater than 99% chance just give the unit Held and -20% healing for 3 turns, or something.

9. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Emperor

Always fighting to the death is a pretty bad combat system in general. Limiting combat rounds would solve this problem compeltely, though it would change the game drastically, I don't know how to do it, and finding the right number of rounds may be impossible due to variable damage rates and first strikes. (if you limit combat to 5 rounds and a unit gets 4-6 first strikes its essentially invincible, but most combat is done in 10 rounds or less...)

But if that was done the only units that would die in one combat would be vastly outgunned ones, a hero that loses a 99.9% odds battle would be left with 1\3 str or so and have the chance to retreat and recover.

As it is though you have to count everyone except spell casters as expendable, and just hope that hero gets 20-30 kills in before it gets a bad roll.

10. Nylarathotep

Nylarathotep Chieftain

I used to cheat a lot when I first started playing Civilization IV back in 2005 and then eventually FFH. The concept of a worldbuilder was very alluring. I started with blatant cheating: I gave myself free units, better resources, more technology, etc.

As I played more it changed. Some of my cheating experiences were actually pretty interesting: Once I played a One City Challenge Game with Cardith Lorda where almost every tile in my culture area had at least one resource. Another time I played as the Illians and gave myself Auric Ascended to roam the countryside with. A few of my most interesting games have involved some type of strategic cheating, but most of them just felt empty and like I hadn't accomplished anything. I might as well have given myself the victory from turn 1.

Now, the only thing I do is reload if my hero dies in combat at 99.9% odds or change/reload when I accidentally misclick and move a unit into a deadly position. I sometimes think about going back to my old way of playing but I've found that wars are a lot more fun when you put it all on the line just you versus the AI.

11. Olaf_The_Great

Olaf_The_Great Omnicidal Oligarch

I use worldbuilder to delete 50% of all AI faction's soldiers and give them infrastructure in exchange, because I really really hate that if I go conquesting, my massive army is attaced by FOUR massive armies that only exist because the AI just builds builds and builds and builds soldiers.

I don't get why Civ 4 messed up recruitment so much, for every single AI city to have 40+ defenders and no money to go around....

12. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Personally, if someone was to rework the combat system it should work like this:

Attacker odds (AO in the rest of the text):

If(AO > 50%)
    Attacker always wins and suffers damage to his health calculated as 100% - AO (in percentages)

if(AO < 50%)
    Atacker always looses but the defender suffers damage to his health calculated as 100% - AO (in percentages)

If(AO = 50%) both units suffer 50% damage and none is destroyed.

This of course is a grose simplification that does not take into account withdrawl chances and first strikes. But I think it conveys the point quite nicely.

13. Luned

Luned Chieftain

I confess to having used WB to alter the AC back to around 15 from 30 in a game where I thought the rising AC was caused by a neighboring civ. I was gearing up to roll into their territory when the AC jumped 10 points in one turn and triggered Blight. Before reloading 5 turns back to declare war earlier, I did go into WB to figure out what city/event caused the spike, because it was going to be my first target. Much to my surprise, it wasn't my neighbor at all, it was a civ I hadn't even known was in the game (I used random by alignment to set up the game) 200+ turns in!

I was interested in seeing how my war was going to turn out, and wasn't planning on building the Mercurian Gate... so I took out just enough of the AC-raising civ in WB to get the counter a safe number below Blight, then proceeded to "forget" the offending Civ was around on that other continent until they contacted me later.

14. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

I reload for misclicks.

I also amp up the AI once the game gets boring. Now that they can use magic, the game is a lot better but they still need a bit of help getting those archmages or mithril weapons.

15. hbar

hbar Constant

I use a 3lb hunk of meat to make decisions instead of running a collection of interrelated logical rules through a crystal of nearly pure silicon. Is that cheating? It seems to work pretty well...

I also reload when something unfun happens. I only get about 4 hours a week for Civ now, and I like to enjoy it.

16. Lade

Lade Prince

I've always had issues related to this. I positively hate having to wait for an hour as someone throws giagantic stacks at my army. Watching mooks die is BORING.

17. Breunor

Breunor Deity

You can use stack combat, then it takes seconds. I think pretty much everyone does this with the new AI especially at high levels.

Best wishes,

Breunor

18. OpheliaImmortal

OpheliaImmortal Chieftain

The biggest 'cheat' i do is edit in an appropriate religion for each civilization in the game. Spices things up a bit :p