Do You Cheat?

Do You Cheat?

• Yes

Votes: 87 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 71 44.9%

• Total voters
I pretty much agree with Calavente. He about sums up my cheating experience. Mostly, you could say that I cheat when I stupidly corner a scout into a no escape spot, forget a bit of micro-management, or when a hero loses a defensive battle he shouldn't have (never when he loses on the offensive side though). It's just my playing experience, but in my mind going into the WB and changing stuff around really is 'no-doubt-about-it, you're-going-to-burn-in-heck, full-out' cheating. Others do it and enjoy it, go for it. That's not for me.

i depends on how you do it...

sometimes, reviving your scout and moving back to spider is way quciker than reloading :)

I personally don't like cheating but have done the following at times;

1. Regenerate new map. I do this if the starting position does not look viable, resource or security.

2. Reload from previous save for a better result from combat or because I forgot something. But nowadays I can't be bothered doing that since I only rely on the auto save (How do you Quick Save?) it may have been many turns ago.

Other then that losses are fine.... I generally make an additional fodder unit, this is to weaken the enemy to ensure my good unit gets better.

So I only really do option 1, I am not sure if I call it cheating, but in some way I guess it is....

Off topic now...
I would like the option of who defends within a stack... I say this because in MY army I would have the lowly squire sacrifice himself for my hero. I do not want my hero to always be the defender especially if he is damaged, I would rather loose another unit that has no promotions.

1. Regenerate new map. I do this if the starting position does not look viable, resource or security.
Just a FYI: regenerating the map screws up the resource placement. If you regen, then you are much more likely to have an imbalanced map.

But nowadays I can't be bothered doing that since I only rely on the auto save (How do you Quick Save?) it may have been many turns ago.
Shift+F5 is quick save. You can also set your auto saves to every turn.

Off topic now...
I would like the option of who defends within a stack... I say this because in MY army I would have the lowly squire sacrifice himself for my hero. I do not want my hero to always be the defender especially if he is damaged, I would rather loose another unit that has no promotions.

There is something whacky in the game about who defends. I often cannot understand the units the AI defends with. For example:

1. A barb Goblin (no promotions) and a barb Warrior with bronze weapons are on the tile. I want to attack with my Curley Hill Giant (so the Warrior doesn't pillage an improvement), but the Goblin, clearly the weaker unit defends. My Curley does NOT have Shock.

2. I am attacking a stack of Balserph units with a very strong Basium. Does their strongest unit defend? No. The unit that defends is a Savant. This with Diseased Corpses, Ritualists, Harlequins, etc. in the stack. Why the Savant?

But, as you said, you usually don't have a choice who defends. I have sometimes lost a stronger damaged unit when a weaker healthy one you would think would defend. :confused:

ya, would be cool to have a spell that works like "shrine of sirona" spell, in that any unit can cast it, but rather than heal it would make that unit the first one to defend.

ideally itd be cool to be able to attach a defense priority on units so you could prepare before hand, or being given the option of who you want to defend anytime youre attacked heh

i usually use orthus axe and moving units out of the stack to try to manipulate who will defend sometimes (give the axe to a unit to increase its strength to make it the one more likely to be attacked)

Also, it really needs to show you which unit is a stacks defender. I know you can usually tell the type of unit by the graphics, but it would help to know which particular unit with which particular promotions you are fighting against.

lol... i think I set everyone off topic a bit...

better defensive planning, even just something simple like;
aggressive stance, defensive stance For stacks

And an option to protect units, like a promotion that allows it to nominate another in its stack to die if he loses a battle. It should be a single use promotion. Maybe it can be some sort of quest reward. Find several specific items and bring them together. They could be a drop from a unique or special monster.

maybe something like if youve got a command post in a city you can give units promotions similar to the boat crew promotions heh
but different like, guardsmen/fodder (defends first until dead), protected (defends last), coward (only defends on odds 99.9%+ heh unless last unit left), brave (defends first once, working like blessed promotion), etc.

I would also like a defensive stance to prevent units from stupidly attacking (like when you automate scout and it suicides against an elephant or Orthus. It should just stop and let you know where the threats are, not attack with 1% odds. The same goes for HN units which are automated or which are trying to stealthily move through a friend's territory to harass another rival.

I would also like a defensive stance to prevent units from stupidly attacking (like when you automate scout and it suicides against an elephant or Orthus. It should just stop and let you know where the threats are, not attack with 1% odds. The same goes for HN units which are automated or which are trying to stealthily move through a friend's territory to harass another rival.

Absolutely on all counts!

I was playing as Jonas and sent my Warrior and Goblin on Auto to go explore thinking they would be fine as I was at peace with the barbs. Both were quickly killed trying to take down Elephants. :(

I can't say how many HN Shadows I have lost by not micromanaging their tile-by-tile movements...

I never cheated, except for an occasional autosave in the beginning (scout gone) or when a hero died. But since this thread i started to cheat :lol:

If i have no reagens or insence i put it there with the wb, i just love ring of flames from the priests of AV and/or OfH :cooool:

what i do is in the beginning i go into the world builder and take a unit name it after my leader and give it the hero promotion. I think it makes the game more fun.:D

:lol: :lol:

i always cheat, turn one i open world builder have a sniff around, if i dont like my start location i move to another spot, usually swapping me with another civ, of, if all the starts suck i make my own, usually with a few good resources and 1 mana node. i also search for the unique features so i know where they are and *sometimes* move them to places that seem beter (ie moving broken sephulcher away from enemy civs, or moving a nice one that was near my capital closer... i also re load if my heroes die:mischief: :king:

EDIT: i also plan the location of my first 6 cities and mark the spot with ruins :D

Well, I never open the worldbuilder, since I'm an explorer type of game-player so that would spoil the entire early phase (according to me, the most fun phase). I do use quicksaves before some important battles, but I (almost) never use autosave, because that would be to much I think, perhaps only if one of my decisions have resulted in a total catastrophy (but I have not changed the autosave from /4 turns to /every turn).

Yes it is cheating, but I think some cheating is justified. Sometimes you're totally screwed because of a "bad/unfortunate" decision.

what i do is in the beginning i go into the world builder and take a unit name it after my leader and give it the hero promotion. I think it makes the game more fun.:D

That does sound like fun. Maybe you should accept some handicap to compensate, such as deleting your first Great Person. And say that if your leader unit dies, you lose.

Or maybe you should give such a hero to all your opponents too, and/or force yourself to resign whenever the unit dies.

That does sound like fun. Maybe you should accept some handicap to compensate, such as deleting your first Great Person. And say that if your leader unit dies, you lose.

i never thought of giving up my first great person that's a good idea i'll do it for now on and i usualy consider my game a loss when i lose my leader. It would be awesome if someone made a mod that did something similar to that with all the civs to bad i'm bad at modding.:(

no i should give all my cities but my capital to the barbs when my leader dies. then maybe i could get a brand new leader with no promotions (except hero and racial promotions).

Top Bottom