1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Ctrl- G?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by royfurr, Jan 7, 2002.

?

Do YOU use the Grid on Map feature

Poll closed Jan 10, 2002.
  1. YES! Its a GREAT planning tool. I leave it on constantly.

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. SOMETIMES. I use it and then turn it off.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. RARELY. Only on important or confusing situations. Then off with it!

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. NEVER! ITs for wimps and it messes up how the map looks!

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

Just curious. Do you play with the grid layed out on the map, or never, or sometimes?

Why or why not?

YES! I ALWAYS play with the Grid on- it helps me plan things!

SOMETIMES. I turn it on to check something and then usually turn it off.

RARELY. On occasion, I use it.

NEVER! The grid is for wusses and it messes up how the map looks!

(DARN! HOW DO you set up one of those nice radio button polls??)

2. Cunobelin Of Hippo

Cunobelin Of Hippo Site Pachyderm

NEVER! Wusses :sniper::D

Tis a blight on any self respecting map! :eek:

3. Selous

Selous King

yea ...i use ctrl G .... but only when something is looking a little confusing and that city cetre must be in the RIGHT SPOT .... yea ... or whatever ... when it is real important i turn that bloody ugly thing on

4. PirateMac

PirateMac Chieftain

Grids... Great!

Being a Merchant Marine and always using charts with a grid system (lat & long) I feel lost without it.

5. FullofHoles

FullofHoles Warlord

I have nothing but hatred for a gridless world. My object, within any game, is to do everything possible to win. Any type of information that I have access to, I consider it in defiance of my principles to not use. Games that allow information BUT make it tedious to collect (gridless worlds in general, Jagged Alliance 2 in particular) only make me alternate between fury and tedium. I still gather all of the information, it just vastly decreases my enjoyment of the game.

JA2 could have been a good game if it had been grid-girt.

On a related issue, I have stopped playing Civ3 until they fix stacked movement. Hundreds of thousands of (imaginary) lives are at stake. I will be damned if I will overlook the slightest advantage merely because it is convenient to do so. Moving some 60+ workers every single turn is too tedious, but automated workers are not intelligent enough. Until stack-movement makes worker-handling less tedious, I will go back to Rogue Spear.

(Rogue Spear challenge for any other relentless perfectionists out there: Take out Siberia 1 as a veteran-30-tango-terrorist-hunt with only one operative! I did it. It only took me about 60 separate tries...)

6. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

poll should be augmented with:

YES! I have it on constantly so I won`t make mistakes moving my units....

really: I have it on all the time since my display somtimes is really hard to interpret (cheap Laptop 14``)

7. Hobbes

Hobbes Utilitarian Despot

First thing I do when I load the game. A pretty map is for fancy pants artists. ;)

8. Cerryl

Cerryl Warlord

I used to in the previous two games sometimes, to see how my cities are intersecting, but with CIV III it shows the outline when controlling a settler.

9. Ripley

Ripley Warlord

I did for my first three games. I turned it off after that.

Once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to visualize the grid as if it were there. ;)

10. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

I only use it occasionally. The map is pretty easy to interpret without the grids. About the only thing I need to check with grids is whether or not a tile has railroads going into it (when that annoying little miniscule curve of railroad in one corner or the tile icon is used).

11. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

You can turn on a grid?:scan:

12. Soufie77

Soufie77 Chieftain

I used to play with grids only during wars when unit placement had to be more accurate. Nowadays, I've found that the best way to play is to use those circular highlights for units, as they give acceptable spatial awareness without ruining the graphics. They're also good for quick scans of the map to check for border incursions when you're in a rush. Some of the units can become a little bit indistinct when you're whizzing past them with jerky scrolling.

13. Divis

Divis Ball5 groupie

I checked the sometimes radial, because sometimes I play with it on, sometimes I forget... I do think it helps though, sometimes...

14. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Ctrl-G will toggle a grid overlay for the map showing each tile.

Or was that a facetious question? ;)

15. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

I new there was a grid, but I never bothered to find out how to turn it on, because I would never use it. I am trying to convince myself that I am really an immortal ruler of a civilization after all.

I am pretty sure Julius Caesar did not have a grid overlay for his map of Gallia.

16. filmic10

filmic10 The Polish Flash

When you need to manuver a ship through a hazardous area, grid mode is the way to go.