Do you usually tech or trade for Monarchy?

CivIVMonger

Emperor
I usually tech for Monarchy, however, the AI seems to prioritize that tech for some reason but getting it early is the key IMHO... For me, the tech path when not researching Monarchy is usually something along the lines of, (or at least remotely close) going down the Writing/Alph/Currency/CoL/CC/Paper and trading along the way path. But, Monarchy disrupts this pattern and makes me usually go down something along the lines of the: Mon/CoL/CC/Paper route. But since AI usually prioritizes researching Monarchy is it worth it getting it early?

For me, the benefits of getting Monarchy early is growth, and simply put, I think this is one of the most powerful edges in the game, especially early on… Unless I am a Charismatic leader, I think that the extra happiness is really needed from HR IMHO. However, I am not saying that a religion or some other resort won’t work, but HR for me is the easiest, cheapest, and most effective way of getting that needed happiness without spending a lot of time on infrastructure or religion. My intuition says that a beeline for Monarchy after getting the needed worker techs is very strong and useful. On the other hand, if the AI gets it usually somewhat quickly, (but slower than I would like) should I trade Alphabet or some other equivalent? I just hate giving the AI alphabet, it somehow in my mind makes me think that they will broker techs behind my back and out-tech me. Anyway, there is also the obvious and needed knowledge of the map/leader and other variables before you consider this. But as always, in a general sense what do you think is the better alternative, trading for, or simply researching Monarchy?

I usually trade for it personally.

Monarchy I don't view as game breaking, especially Early on, as I whip instead of grow. So I just wait for them to tech it and trade for it.

I normally trade for it too.
Construction and currency my tech targets.

Depends - if I need happiness early I might tech it. If I have 1-2 happiness resources, will usually trade for it.

Monarchy I don't view as game breaking, especially Early on, as I whip instead of grow. So I just wait for them to tech it and trade for it.

Well, I may have overstated... I ment *growth* as 'essential' not exactly game breaking though...

I normally trade for it too.
Construction and currency my tech targets.

Interesting. I normally target Currency but I almost never war early, even when rushing... For some reason building up my population and economy *then* fighting a medieval war works wonders for me. Honestly I find this funny because most people think that the medieval era is the hardest?

Oh well, back on topic. I guess building more cities at a more standard size is better than fewer with a quick developement?

The lower the difficulty the stronger self-teching monarchy IMO. On high difficulties getting something to trade becomes more crucial as many AIs may have monarchy before alpha. Though using oracle to nab a trade-worthy tech while self-teching monarchy can work well (or just oracle->monarchy while teching what you please). HR is great for growth, slaving an army and just for diplo since many AIs have it as a favorite civic.

Access to several early happiness resources points towards teching down some other path.

Depends on situation ... I don’t go outa my way to B-line for it. What I do b-line for is the Oracle and usually pick up casting but have on occasion picked up Mono ... usually go for highest cost available for free but if I have some grapes that I can advantage. Since I B-line Oracle … and Stonehenge if I can get away with it, I get an early G prophet and noticed you can bulb Mono not that I have but it can be done. ... Organized Religion and the building benefit is my main focus of start to that point in tree.

I will often take it with Oracle, especially if I really think I need it or CoL is already blown - likewise, I'll tech if needed too. Otherwise, I'll trade Aesth or Alpha for it.

I think Monarch/HR is synergistic to Slavery not the opposite. Let's you whip more.

I pretty much always trade for it, and how soon usually depends on whether or not I get the 'Mids or not. I play LoR, and the Revolutions component adds great extra value onto getting the 'Mids, and if I'm in Rep, Monarchy can wait a good while.

More difficulty or more AIs met = higher probability you can trade for it in time. I'd almost always self tech it on noble, and usually will not on immortal or deity.

I agree that it's difficulty dependent. Barring serious happiness problems, I will usually trade for it. The AI does a pretty good job teching it on Immortal. I find that Compass is also a good trade chip.

Welcome to civfanatics Stopstopp! :beer: :cheers:

In a typical game there is land to grab yet when the AI gets to monarchy. By then I usually focus on other things than grabbing more happyness since I am pumping workers and settlers, so in a typical immortal game I trade for it. Also because I tend to pick a religion once I feel safe it will not cause my doom it ypically means that any detour through the religious techs is not very helpful so it i not that often that I will tech through mono or PH early in the game. This favors trading for monarchy even more.

For levels like Monarch and lower, self teching is no brainer as it pumps up capital asap. And also gives you alternative route to CoL and CS (math needed of course). I guess Emperor level would be a tough choice and I see Immortal and higher levels seldom bother to go south tech lines themselves.

I've had Civ4 for a long time but just got into it in any depth these last few months. I'm also new to the forums, with this being the first post.

I had a question about Monarchy that was probably too basic for a post on it's own, so let me just borrow this for a sec. I was watching the Justinian Meinteam series and he said "monarchy allows you to build your cities to max capacity". Is he referring to the happiness benefit of hereditary rule or am I missing something?

Mainly he is referring to the happiness benefits of HR, although Monarchy will aslo let you develop any wine squares you have.

I've had Civ4 for a long time but just got into it in any depth these last few months. I'm also new to the forums, with this being the first post.

I had a question about Monarchy that was probably too basic for a post on it's own, so let me just borrow this for a sec. I was watching the Justinian Meinteam series and he said "monarchy allows you to build your cities to max capacity". Is he referring to the happiness benefit of hereditary rule or am I missing something?

Welcome to CivFanatics!

He must be referring to the fact that HR allows for limitless happiness *if* you have the appropriate number of units stationed in that city. And since you can virtually grow up to your food cap with unlimited happiness, (excluding health but that isn't a big deal anyway) you can 'grow your cities to max capacity"...

I have never teched monarchy above noble. Better just to go for mids and stay in rep.

I have never teched monarchy above noble. Better just to go for mids and stay in rep.

If you say that, then you are not going TOO far past noble, because while pyramids will sometimes be better, it gradually becomes harder to get them without giving up several city sites. On immortal and especially deity, you stand an excellent chance of failing pyramids no matter what if you don't have stone or industrious, even if you queue them up ASAP and chop.

Rep is an excellent civic, but rookies overrate it.

If you say that, then you are not going TOO far past noble, because while pyramids will sometimes be better, it gradually becomes harder to get them without giving up several city sites. On immortal and especially deity, you stand an excellent chance of failing pyramids no matter what if you don't have stone or industrious, even if you queue them up ASAP and chop.

Rep is an excellent civic, but rookies overrate it.

I only play monarchy or emp. Immortal and Diety aren't worth the stress to me.

Top Bottom