Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never search with Google

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Quintillus

Restoring Civ3 Content
Super Moderator
Supporter
A while back, I read a blog post about how to get a more basic Google search experience. No hordes of YouTube suggestions, no AI summaries, no "people also ask", no news section partway down, just... search results.

It's refreshing. Like being in 2004 again, when the focus was on search. The difference is between:

civilization vi - default search

civilization vi - web search

You can always click on the web search, but that's tedious, and you can also add ?udm=14 to your search in front of the query to auto-enable web search.

The blog author also made a website that you can use to search with udm=14 by default, which makes it easy to add it to your browser's search engines.

I'm likely to remain a DuckDuckGo-first searcher, but I find it a significant improvement when I'm trying to find information and don't want a zillion extraneous suggestions, and have now replaced my browser's Google search with a ?udm=14 search.

Other techniques for getting improved search results are also fair game.

Will try this trick going forward! I started using Bing a few years ago for less ad clutter, but AI is getting increasingly more intrusive.

Top Bottom