[Warlords] Does anyone share their .CivWarlordsSave files @ 4000BC?

kagentes

Chieftain
I don't use any cheat or mods, just running Warlords. For some time I would spend hours just regenerating maps (start custom game, then regenerate until I got what I wanted). Mainly, I am looking for the perfect map to start a game. That is: 15hammers+, on shore, with fresh water, near special tiles (rock, marble, rice, wheat, animals), with village nearby for chances at free techs.

Question 1: Does anyone else do this? that is- regenerate game, like I mention above, to get a better start?

Question 2: Is there a better way to generate a great start?

Question 3: Is there any place for people to share their base game files (ie "UserName BC-4000.CivWarlordsSave" files) with each other?

My best game start I've found is a 17Hammer shore with fresh water.

For context , my typical settings are:

Worldsize: standard
Continents: Pangea
Era: Ancient
Speed: Marathon
Sea level: High
Climate: Tropical

I turn off domination, but leave the rest of the settings to default.

I add all 18 slots for random civilizations (including mine)

Last edited:
1. Playing casually, not really. If I get a really spiteful or overly generous start, or I'm planning on trying out/playing around with something specific, sure. But that's about it.
2. Not really. Mapfinder, maybe, but if you need mapfinder for casual play than I feel like you're facing an entirely different problem.
3. Base game files? You mean like vanilla Civ IV maps? Not really, no. Many people play with Warlords and Beyond the Sword these days, so most maps you'll find are made with/for BtS.

That all said, unless you're trying for some sort of challenge map I would really recommend playing with standard settings. 18 teams on a standard sized high sealevel Pangaea sized map, on Marathon, would be...well, it'd certainly be a sort of challenge map. If you are trying for some sort of challenge map, however, I'd recommend trying out mapfinder. It's absolutely unnecessary for casual play, but rolling very specific maps for crazy challenges is basically what it's made for.

Not sure Acametis meant exactly what he wrote on Item 3, but folks don't play Vanilla or Warlords much at all these days or for years really. BTS is the way to go for playing Civ IV and most all mods are for that version. Plus you get to us BUG/BULL mod with your games for improved UI and information.
(I did tool around with Warlords around 12 years ago or so mainly to play the scenarios which are kinda cool - and some WOTMs here and there, but BTS was already out then and the way to go)

Honestly, your settings are a bit wonky. As AcaMetic wrote, 18 civs on a standard size Pangaea map is just looney tunes..ha. Maybe adding 1 or 2 additional AIs is reasonable. But furthermore, Mara speed is better suited for Huge maps anyway in which 18 civs is far more reasonable idea. I don't play Mara/Huge. I play Normal/Standard which I find makes for very satisfactory gameplay and more games played. Most do also but Mara/Huge does have its niche.

Not sure why you turn off any VC unless you simply want to win by Conquest while still hitting Dom level benchmarks.

I sometimes use the regenerate map button when setting up casual games if I don't like the start. However, I don't think in terms of hammers. I want food. In Civ IV food is King not base hammers. It is actually a key concept to understand about this game.

Don't like coastal starts in general but on a Pangaea map I would definitely want a nice inland start. Coast is pretty irrelevant on that map.

Over in the Strategy and Tips forum here, which is most active and a good place to learn more about the game, folks do share games quite a bit and there are usually on-going forum games like Nobles Club. You can upload files to any post here on the forum.

I meant that people generally play the game with all of the expansions these days. Guess I may have worded that poorly :mischief:.

If you only want to play specific starts, why not save time and use Worldbuilder? For some, it's 'cheating', but if you are playing a single player game for fun, does it really matter whether you get your coastal/green hill/food special/hut start via WB or by regenerating a bazillion times?

Top Bottom