Does moving and attacking with the same unit in a turn weaken the attack value?

I've often wondered and never saw an answer to this question.

If you have a unit with say 2 movement points per turn, you move 1 tile and then attack, is the attack value weaker than being right next to the enemy tile and attacking immediately, which comprises the whole turn?

If there is no difference in attack value, then why can't we attack and then move one tile afterwards?

Also, slightly different question but related, does it matter how far away a ranged unit is when attacking? For instance, does an archer attacking from 2 tiles away have a different attack value than 1 tile away from an enemy?

I've often wondered and never saw an answer to this question.

If you have a unit with say 2 movement points per turn, you move 1 tile and then attack, is the attack value weaker than being right next to the enemy tile and attacking immediately, which comprises the whole turn?

No. It worked this way in Civ2 only.

If there is no difference in attack value, then why can't we attack and then move one tile afterwards?

By game desing only mounted and armor units have the advantage to move after attacking.

Also, slightly different question but related, does it matter how far away a ranged unit is when attacking? For instance, does an archer attacking from 2 tiles away have a different attack value than 1 tile away from an enemy?

No.

No. It worked this way in Civ2 only.

And even then, didn't you only take the attack penalty if you only had fractional movement left (eg 1/3 of a move having moved two road squares)? Been ages since I've played 2 :p

And even then, didn't you only take the attack penalty if you only had fractional movement left (eg 1/3 of a move having moved two road squares)? Been ages since I've played 2 :p

This is correct. I'm almost positive this was also the case in Civ1, but there was no in game feedback telling you so. I believe it was Civ2 that added a popup "these men are tired" warning you before doing so.

Yes, but keep in mind that infantry only had 1 move to begin with, so they could never move then attack unless it was on a road.

I remember being thrilled when it disappeared in Civ3, but, every so often, I've had a longing desire to bring it back (combined with the ability to use enemy roads again).

It's noteworthy that distance to attacked unit CAN influence damage. Ranged units, like all other military troops in the game, contribute to flanking dmg. It's sometimes a good idea to move your ranged unit closer in order to get the flanking bonus.

Top Bottom