Turn Phases

Like the 2010 board game - turns have different phases. Although I think we only need two "phases" to complete each turn.

So playing the game would look like
Turn 1 - Unit Movement
Turn 2 - Empire Management (Everything except unit movement) (Press enter to end phase)
Turn 2 - Unit Movement (Press enter to end phase)
Turn 3 - Empire Management
Turn 3 - Unit Movement etc

On face value it may seem like doubling moves up but it's really halving the number of actions per "end turn/phase". This does allow everything to be calculated at the same time which together has the following effects
1) Any 'ties' can go to the faction with the most overflow (wonders/great people). There is no instance where "player 1" wins by default.
2) Units move at the same time. This opens up the possibility of a unit being intercepted 'mid-movement'. For example a unit crossing two grassland tiles to get to a hills tile, could be attacked in the grasslands before reaching the hills
3) Cuts down the time multiplayer games take, since phases can be taken at the same time. You will complete actions more regularly, since there are less actions to complete per phase (as opposed to per turn)
4) Removes "fastest clicker" advantages in multiplayer

What if I like to alternate between empire management and unit movement?

I start moving units in the eastern part of my empire, I realize I should adjust production, I adjust things. Then I resume unit movement.

(2) is close to something I've long thought makes sense, in theory at least - giving units orders, and having all players' orders be resolved at once. This is how the board game Diplomacy handles it. It both eliminates that multiplayer "fastest clicker" advantage, and adds a layer of tactical consideration - indeed, you planned move could be countered by your rival.

The top "phase" I miss in VI is a "move all the units with orders" phase. Endless Legend has this, so I click the button to do that near the end of my turn (usually; I could do it at the beginning), and all those units move. If any of them is blocked or still has movement points left, deciding what to do with them becomes part of the queue of actions for that turn, and once all those actions have been addressed, End Turn becomes available.

In Civ VI, End Turn does both of those functions. So it's not uncommon that I press End Turn, a few units are moved, and then... nothing happens. The turn doesn't continue. Because my Knight only had orders that used 3 movement points out of its 4. So the game is sitting there waiting for me to give that Knight an order, and I'm thinking it's processing the AI turns.

Top Bottom