Does the AI know how to use Forts and Citadels?

Vhozite

Warlord
I ask because the AI seems bad at using the defensive improvements. They’re good at using Citadels to steal land which also means their placement tends to be pretty decent because it’s on a contested border, but that’s it. They habitually abandon citadels after a land grab, don’t really build forts at all, and they don’t build roads to support either. As mentioned in the other thread they also struggle with building canals.

I’m playing on the current version, but I think it’s been like this a while. Anyone else see similar behavior or is this unique to my game/difficulty level?

I ask because the AI seems bad at using the defensive improvements. They’re good at using Citadels to steal land which also means their placement tends to be pretty decent because it’s on a contested border, but that’s it. They habitually abandon citadels after a land grab, don’t really build forts at all, and they don’t build roads to support either. As mentioned in the other thread they also struggle with building canals.

I’m playing on the current version, but I think it’s been like this a while. Anyone else see similar behavior or is this unique to my game/difficulty level?
Yes, they are bad at using defensive improvements like citadels & forts, usually deserting them. Worse than this though is the constant abandonment of cities in wars, where their garrisons go awol. Same is true for CS. I wish they had a rule in place whereby a garrison couldn't leave a city in times of wars. In my current game, Songhai, who need no help as it is, smashing through the US in classical age, who decided it was a better idea to go after a barb camp then stay at home, with all troops destroyed. Then medival age the Dutch doing the same.

I haven't found AI bad at using forts to make canals... but that's because the auto-improvement mode on builders are really solid about it (And I assume AI just has that on all the time).

I never seen auto workers build forts outside of canal reasons though, which might be why you never see AI build them.

I haven't found AI bad at using forts to make canals... but that's because the auto-improvement mode on builders are really solid about it (And I assume AI just has that on all the time).

I never seen auto workers build forts outside of canal reasons though, which might be why you never see AI build them.
Yes very few if any defensive forts, CS does build them but not many.

Yes very few if any defensive forts, CS does build them but not many.
That is one thing I forgot to mention. Occasionally I will see a CS build them but that’s it. Extremely rare for a major Civ.

Top Bottom