Domination victory

wozza120490

Chieftain
Hi all,
Long time stalker first time poster. I am currently playing a game as the Maya on the Eastern United States map. I've taken out one of the other civs and the other civs have taken out another 2. It has gotten to the stage where I'm building up to wipe out a small civ (England) but my main enemy, Darius has just declared war on Germany (another smallish civ). He is just ahead on score and military and has been engaged in a war with everyone but me so far. Civs keep telling me he is plotting against me etc etc. I have faced these kind of situations before but never really 'won' in dominating my last major enemy. What would you do in this situation? I'm not that great a player and I'm still learning. This is on prince.

Edit: tried uploading a picture but didn't work sorry

Darius being ahead on points doesn't mean much (larger pop, more cities and perhaps more wonders - all of which makes him a a tasty target). I'm curious how you conclude Darius is ahead on miltary. Are you relying on the pointiest sticks report (not a good measure), or have you seen specific advanced units running around (e.g., he has gatlings and you are still 20 turns away from industrialization)? How far along are you in researching the military techs?

Thanks for the reply,

I'm furthest ahead in tech (according to the info provided by the game). The military I concluded from the same info. I have artillery, gatlings etc and we have both just entered the modern age. Would I be better going after him then a smaller civ?

The longer you let him develop, the harder he will be to take down. The smaller civs will be there for the taking later.

Hi all,
Long time stalker first time poster. I am currently playing a game as the Maya on the Eastern United States map. I've taken out one of the other civs and the other civs have taken out another 2. It has gotten to the stage where I'm building up to wipe out a small civ (England) but my main enemy, Darius has just declared war on Germany (another smallish civ). He is just ahead on score and military and has been engaged in a war with everyone but me so far. Civs keep telling me he is plotting against me etc etc. I have faced these kind of situations before but never really 'won' in dominating my last major enemy. What would you do in this situation? I'm not that great a player and I'm still learning. This is on prince.

Edit: tried uploading a picture but didn't work sorry

What I usually do(if I have Oil) just wait long enought for bombers and Tanks to be available get a few and steamroll thru their land

Where is his capital ?

If it's on the coast use Frigates to bring it down, if inland use your artillery as it can fire at a range of 3 hex's, most other weapons only have 2. Use them and tanks, just make a path through his army with other units, sacrificing some if necessary.

Once you have flight it's a real game changer, just make sure your he has cities within range.

the easy way... destroy him destroy his army using your artillery (then bomber) take (raze in case of lack of happiness) his cities and win by domination
the fast way: take his capital then take the last small civ capital while destroying his army ...

Your choice depending how much you like war ... personally i would go "the easy way" ;)

The longer you let him develop, the harder he will be to take down. The smaller civs will be there for the taking later.

This is the way I usually look at it. You could go after the weaker civ and have an even tougher Darius to face later or you could take out Darius now and by the time you're done with that you should be so far past the weaker civ that it will be like swatting a fly.

If you're even or ahead on tech level you should be able to beat any AI, even one who has the superior numbers, since they aren't very good at getting the most out of their units. Humans are just better at using the terrain to an advantage, placing units where they'll be asy to defend and do the most damage and pulling damaged units back and protecting them when they need healing. Always look at the "pointiest sticks" list with a grain of salt.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I took the advice offered and went to war with Darius over my smaller neighbor. As I was amassing my troops nearish to his border one of my allies shared that Darius was mounting a surprise attack on the city where my troops were all stationed around. Queue his troops running into brute force and being destroyed. Have taken two of his cities so far and am pushing onwards.

on the other hand u can quickly engulf the weaker civs makeing u even stronger.
imo modern era is pretty late to start warmongering, for dom u need to start early on
gl wit Darius tho he becomes a monster to deal with on the harder difficultys

Keep in mind that you don't have to wipe out a civ to win at domination. You only have to take their capital. So for the smaller, weaker civs, just move in, take the capital, offer a peace treaty (they will probably accept), and move on.

You just need to be the last one with their original capital city.

I didn't even know this until a few months ago when I was playing a duel map. The first city I took was the AI's capital. Game over.

Apologies if you already knew all of this.

Top Bottom