Domination victory

camfrlas

Chieftain
Hi guys, i have one question about Domination victory.
In my last game as Venice i was going to try dominate this game, only 2 players had their original capital city left and so i successfully attacked London and was expecting victory screen. however it turned out, that Seoul in English hands was a problem and i was forced to take it from Elizabeth. after this, game ended.

Civilopedia on the other hand claims, that domination victory goes to the player who is the last one to hold his original capital. they even mention a scenario, where you have captured all of the capitals but one, that civ then takes your capital and you lose the game.

it looks like civilopedia is wrong in this entry, right? this is for my gamestyle quite rare situation.. was this always like this in civ5, or is it GnK/BNW change?

thanks

I thought it was always like this. If the only check was that you are the last person with your original capital, you could have someone do all the work and then snipe his capital for a cheap win, never even declaring war until the last turn. Obviously, it doesn't work that way, and the domination victory screen shows you a checklist of who you need to conquer to win, and it hasn't changed since vanilla.

I thought it was always like this. If the only check was that you are the last person with your original capital, you could have someone do all the work and then snipe his capital for a cheap win, never even declaring war until the last turn. Obviously, it doesn't work that way, and the domination victory screen shows you a checklist of who you need to conquer to win, and it hasn't changed since vanilla.

Sorry, you could not be more mistaken. In BNW the Dom VC was changed to require that you control all of the original capitals. In vanilla and G&K it was sufficient for you to be the last man standing. (On 2 occasions I let a CS conquer the last capital.)

Sorry, you could not be more mistaken. In BNW the Dom VC was changed to require that you control all of the original capitals. In vanilla and G&K it was sufficient for you to be the last man standing. (On 2 occasions I let a CS conquer the last capital.)

This be truth. Domination is a bit harder (or longer) now.

This be truth. Domination is a bit harder (or longer) now.

Yup. I actually like it this way. Although, I always thought that taking someone's capital was somewhat arbitrary and I think that there should be a different mechanic in play. Something along the lines of letting you 'transfer' your capital at a cost in both gold/culture and giving you a set amount of time to get it back before your remaining cities start suffering consequences.

I loved it when unhappiness and the like caused other Civ's empire to slip and a new Civ popped up as a 'rebel' faction. What if the remaining Civ's cities became CS's instead? That would be an interesting twist, especially if they were far flung yet decently developed.

Top Bottom