Doughnut Files Term 7 - 9

Think that was effective immediately?! :confused:

As a safety, I'll draft something here and leave it open for editting for a while:

From MIA to the Government of DNUTs:

According to our Treaty "United Against the Storm", article 1.3, either team may cancel the Non-Aggression aspect of our agreement with 10-turns notice not to be given prior to turn 179. We are notifying you that we may not continue to be non-aggressive after 10 turns have elapsed.

To be sure, we will not attack your units or station our units inside your territory (without permission) during this 10-turn 'cooling off' period, as our Treaty dictates. Likewise, the non-aggression clauses constrain your actions during this time as well, as you have not given prior notice to MIA that you intend to shed these restrictions. After the 10 turn waiting period, of course, all agreements and restrictions are lifted.

The tone of this letter is a departure from the past; that is a reflection of the current issues in discussion publicly in the UN, as well as privately within MIA. We don't like the rancor we've inspiried at all. Therefore, we are trying to be careful in our communications for now, if a little terse. Expect more relaxed communication soon.

Repectfully,
MIA

I've tried to keep it just business, with nothing left to interpretation. I may have erred on the side of severity. Softening the tone might help, but I think we can soften up a little later, after the "sea-change" in leadership the other teams are about to see. But it's important to lay out where we're coming from.

Advice? I really think this should be a team letter.

peter grimes said:
Advice? I really think this should be a team letter.

Not a bad letter. If you're worried about the rancor MIA has inspired then this is a step in the right direction. I would point out though that we intend to bomb the living daylights out of the Nutters as soon as we can. Cozying up to them now risks more rancor down the road when we attack. If we've made a decision to fight them then we should let our hostility be known now. That would be the honorable thing to do. We really don't have much to fear from them. We will lose the one city we have on Battle Island. Big deal. We don't have much to fear from an invasion since we have a railroad network and loads of cannons and cavalry. Also, if we let them see what's coming then they'll divert their energies to military production at the expense of research buildings, cash and cultural buildings. We would start achieving now what our bombers will do more thouroughly later.

I'd simply point out to them that we will live by the treaty and expect them to do the same. Any aggressive act on their part nullifies the treaty and will unleash the full force of our wrath. Heck, I'd even play up the rancor in the UN and use that to let them know we're pissed. In short I'd tell them to KISS off.

I like the letter as it is Peter. Nice job. :thumbsup:

I don't think being "terse" will be a problem. I think we just need to keep our mouths shut about our honor for a while, and things will cool down.

Besides… this is essentially a declaration of war… I don't think any amount of sugar will help this medicine go down. ;)

I'm glad to hear that we're mostly in agreement so far.

@Donsig - there was no intent to 'cozy up' to the Nutters. Do you get that impression? If so, we should edit that out. Also, I'm not sure we want to tell them precisely when we're going to attack. Leave them guessing... they'll be wise to start military builds anyway.

So unless there are other suggestions, I'm inclined to leave the letter as is.

I like the letter, too.

~gbno1fan, the Lame Duck Defense Minister.

nice letter there, you should send it as is.

I was looking at General_W's perpetually optimistic thread (DomesticMinistry), and his ambitious push to get ToE on 195 got me to thinking: Is it possible that DNUTs are also racing to this pivotal wonder?

Checking the Looking Glass, I see that DNUTs have Medicine and Industrialization, and I believe they also have Steam (correct?) If they detour from the top half of the tech tree, they could beat us to ToE, no?

Am I paranoid? :twitch:

Speaking of the letter, should we delay sending it until someone opens the save and makes sure that there's nothing funny going on that needs addressing?

I think the letter should be sent to DNUT's Gmail, from our Gmail - just to keep things a little anonymous until the elections pass. I can do this in about 12 hours from this post, unless someone else can sooner.

Thoughts?

There is nothing funny going on with the save - as far as I'm concerned the letter can be sent anytime.

Dnuts have Steam but do not have Medicine or Electricity (or Industrialization but that's not necessary for Sci Method). If they are going for TofE, then it is mainly for denial purposes - if we are assuming the race to Flight is all-important, then Dnuts would have to research 3 unnecessary techs to get 2 free ones. They may do it to deny it to us, but there is nothing we can do about that - we are building the TofE as quickly as possible.

I believe we could complete the TofE as early as turn 190. We may deliberately delay it until turn 194 just to get more expensive techs if the Nuts do not start researching techs toward Scientific Method.

Thanks for the sedative :)

I will send the letter tomorrow (about 11 hours from this post) unless someone else feels like it. I'd do it now, but crappy imac compy can't handle gmail.

Oops - that's got to be my fault. I always open up the diplomacy screen to see what our rivals have/don't have. The only way we can see what they have is to put peace on the table (similar to single-player). I must have hit send with peace still on the table instead of taking peace back off the table and hitting exit like I should be doing.

It looks like I'm leaving this office just in time :blush:.

:lol:

That'll keep 'em guessing!

That just might turn out to be enough of an olive branch to calm the stormy waters... We'll see :)

peter grimes said:
@Donsig - there was no intent to 'cozy up' to the Nutters. Do you get that impression? If so, we should edit that out. Also, I'm not sure we want to tell them precisely when we're going to attack. Leave them guessing... they'll be wise to start military builds anyway.

The 'cozying up' remark was more a suggestion to be on guard against it in the near future. Didn't really see anything in that letter that was cozy.

I do agree we shouldn't give them our battle plans ahead of time but still think it would be a good idea to be upfront that an attack is coming. That way there will be no more squabbling about breaking treaties.

Also, it seems to me that if peace is ever made between us and the Nutters then the embassy reopens and we're back to worrying about techs getting stolen again. The only way to avoid that is perpetual war and we can't have perpetual war under the MTDG rules unless it is a 'real' war complete with fighting and killing and all that sort of stuff. Might as well get at it and let the world know that's where we are headed.

Top Bottom