Doviello

I'm playing as the Doviello right now, and the weapon upgrades are incredible. The Dovi's are now on my list of Favorite Civs.

My Beastmen (Warriors) are all 4 strength with promotions, and I can still upgrade them to Axemen if I wanted to.
I wonder what would happen if you made a Flesh Golem out of a Battlemaster and an Adept...

I htink that doviello if someone should have a starting tech.

I mean, they must have cleared the age of ice best?
So what is the staring tech?

After playing around with the metal upgrade options a little more, I have to say that I like the way it is implemented. I think that there should be a way for other civs to get this benefit, but later in the game. That would give Doviello the early "tank rush" benefit like it is now, and yet allow other civs to use this great game mechanic as well. There should be limitations to the types of units that could be upgraded in the manner. The Baron is one example of a unit that does not need to have additional bonuses added to him (although I would love to have a Baron or great wearwolf unit with fully upgraded weapons, it would probobly be unbalancing).

I see the similarities between the FfH mechanic and the TAM mechanic and think that the way it is implemented now is fine. Keep up the great work.

Aren't all the units except the melee line useless for Doviello though? They don't get an increased strength, but do get an increased cost which quickly outweighs the benefit of not having to build buildings.

*hits M@ni@c over the head with a mithril axe*

Doviello units can be built without resources at reduced strength, but will become just as strong as their counterparts from other civilizations if they do have a forge and access to the metal. In fact, their bronze-requiring units are much stronger than their counterparts when the Doviello get iron, and improve even further with mithril and a weaponsmith.

This means they don't have to upgrade old hordes of units using money when getting a new metal, and it also means they can build huge masses of very cheap units that are still powerful enough to kill stuff, once they have mithril (and to a lesser degree, iron).

Also don't forget the 'free' upgrading of axeman to battlemasters. For 85 gold a piece you can recruit a beastman (in 1 turn) - upgrade him to axeman (85 gold) and upgrade him to a battlemaster (free).

Only problem is when you don't get bronze or iron (in this case go for runes of kilmorph and get iron that way, you NEED iron)

You can do quite well without Iron - just base your forces on the awesomeness that is the Skull Catapult, and use your weak battlemasters for defense and cleaning up after them. Those things come almost as early as axemen, and destroy anything below rangers/longbowmen/macemen easily.

Good point, but things go alot easier with iron in your hands, therefore I see it as a nessecity you get your hands on some, even if it means changing alignment to neutral.

"Arg, there is no iron here, I am going to have a talk with the gods about this"
"How dare the gods tell me its not their problem and I need to talk to Kilmorph about it, huff"
"You, scientists - find a way to talk to Kilmorph" - "But sir, you burned the book that told us how to do that"
Later
"Kilmorph, where is my iron, my warriors have spent hours and hours of training on how to make weapons yet you give me no iron"
"Ok, he told me that to get iron I must abondon my evil ways... and worship him bla bla bla... you got that. Great"
"Ahh, iron - lovely lovely iron..."

Doviello have been my favorite civ since I first started playing FFH2 but they're also the civ I do the worst with. Conversly the civ I thought I'd do horrible with: Lanun, I finished my first FFH2 victory with (Prince level).

Anyways, I was curious how ya'll win with Doviello? Every game I play I instantly tech for Bronze Working so I can pump out Axeman and start invasions against Warrior and Archer armed civs. My best game I expanded to about 30% larger than the 2nd largest Civ. Unfortunately out of 6 civs left I was ranked 5th....and half the score of the 2nd largest Civ. At this point I'm incredibly far behind in technology and eeking away at 10-20%...since that's all I can afford without going under, even with just 1 stack of 10 invasion units and 3 or 4 units at each city for defense and anti-war declaration deterants. My neighbor is 1/3 the size of me yet is sporting half a dozen str 6 or 7 Crossbowman in each city which I simply can't break with str 7 battlemasters and str 6 catapults. Thus the golden age of Doveillo seems to pass.

I tried re-arranging to Tech but I'm so far behind and I have to dump boatloads of my units to keep afloat which inevitably causes other civs to declare on me by virtue of weakness.

Anyone have any victory stories and suggestions? Thanks all.

Yeah, I would agree with that, its the leader I play the (love raider trait).

If you´re falling behind in tech, try playing with Mahala. She isn´t barbarian, so she doesn´t get the -10% beakers that Charadon gets.

You mean he isn't barbarian

I rest my case.

Do ya'll tech for a specific religion or simply let whichever religion finds you first...then conquer the owner? Are there specific religions that work well with Doviello (assuming not OO since their units are undead and such are not subject to weapons upgrades)?

Actually, could anyone highlight on their tech order? It would be interesting to compare and contrast to see where I'm going wrong.

I wish there was an ability to absorb beakers when you win a combat (though I'm sure this could be abused...hello hidden nationality units) to at least keep Doviello from falling way way behind. Especially since we can't build Libraries and such for bonus research.

Grakl said:
Do ya'll tech for a specific religion or simply let whichever religion finds you first...then conquer the owner? Are there specific religions that work well with Doviello (assuming not OO since their units are undead and such are not subject to weapons upgrades)?

I wish there was an ability to absorb beakers when you win a combat (though I'm sure this could be abused...hello hidden nationality units) to at least keep Doviello from falling way way behind. Especially since we can't build Libraries and such for bonus research.

OO is actually a wonderful choiice: Beastmen upgraded to drowns keep their weapon promotion.

Master_Hugian said:
Also don't forget the 'free' upgrading of axeman to battlemasters. For 85 gold a piece you can recruit a beastman (in 1 turn) - upgrade him to axeman (85 gold) and upgrade him to a battlemaster (free).
Actually, that isn't true. It still costs cash to upgrade using a battlemaster. The advantage is just that you can do it away from town.

Grakl said:
Doviello have been my favorite civ since I first started playing FFH2 but they're also the civ I do the worst with. Conversly the civ I thought I'd do horrible with: Lanun, I finished my first FFH2 victory with (Prince level).

Anyways, I was curious how ya'll win with Doviello? Every game I play I instantly tech for Bronze Working so I can pump out Axeman and start invasions against Warrior and Archer armed civs. My best game I expanded to about 30% larger than the 2nd largest Civ. Unfortunately out of 6 civs left I was ranked 5th....and half the score of the 2nd largest Civ. At this point I'm incredibly far behind in technology and eeking away at 10-20%...since that's all I can afford without going under, even with just 1 stack of 10 invasion units and 3 or 4 units at each city for defense and anti-war declaration deterants. My neighbor is 1/3 the size of me yet is sporting half a dozen str 6 or 7 Crossbowman in each city which I simply can't break with str 7 battlemasters and str 6 catapults. Thus the golden age of Doveillo seems to pass.

I tried re-arranging to Tech but I'm so far behind and I have to dump boatloads of my units to keep afloat which inevitably causes other civs to declare on me by virtue of weakness.

Anyone have any victory stories and suggestions? Thanks all.

On large landmasses I've found the best way is to simply raze most of the cities you come across and let the inevitable barbarian horde that arises from the ashes soften up the guys ahead of your army. On island/archipelago maps, a hero/skull catapult army works better in most cases than an axeman rush.

BCalchet said:

I rest my case.
Heh. Brilliant. I can't wait to see the backstory. I always suspected that Mahala was a woman (as Kael said she was named after one of his wife's characters), but I wasn't sure. Now I am.

Top Bottom