Downsides to state religion? (other than unhappiness from other ones?)

Stringer1313

Emperor
In every game i've played, if one of my families is the religious one, I immediately want to found a religion and adopt it as the state religion since there are so many benefits.

Does anyone NOT do this? I know that one downside is that other religions in your city cause -2 happiness, but I've found that to pale in comparison with the benefits.

It can be useful to assign your first city to a different family, for example if one family gives +100% from nets and camps and you happen to start with 5 of them near your first city.

Do you ever skip the clerics family altogether? I'm mainly asking whether anyone skips the clerics family when getting a religion has so many benefits.

in competetive multiplayer I would never skip them. In singleplayer it can be fun to try different strategies even if they are not that powerful.

Do you ever skip the clerics family altogether? I'm mainly asking whether anyone skips the clerics family when getting a religion has so many benefits.
Yeah, I tend to. Probably a holdover from Civ again, since I hate the religious victory gameplay. Too chaotic and micro-intensive. Maybe it's easier and better in Old World.

Top Bottom