1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Downsides to state religion? (other than unhappiness from other ones?)

Discussion in 'Old World' started by Stringer1313, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

In every game i've played, if one of my families is the religious one, I immediately want to found a religion and adopt it as the state religion since there are so many benefits.

Does anyone NOT do this? I know that one downside is that other religions in your city cause -2 happiness, but I've found that to pale in comparison with the benefits.

2. Sephi

Sephi Deity

It can be useful to assign your first city to a different family, for example if one family gives +100% from nets and camps and you happen to start with 5 of them near your first city.

3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Do you ever skip the clerics family altogether? I'm mainly asking whether anyone skips the clerics family when getting a religion has so many benefits.

4. Sephi

Sephi Deity

in competetive multiplayer I would never skip them. In singleplayer it can be fun to try different strategies even if they are not that powerful.

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Yeah, I tend to. Probably a holdover from Civ again, since I hate the religious victory gameplay. Too chaotic and micro-intensive. Maybe it's easier and better in Old World.