Dr kossin #37

Just to make sure we're clear on this:

Updated April 2010.

Map submissions are allowed again. The only restriction this time is isolation. Semi-isolation is fine and no-strategic resources as well (although the games might end fast in those situations).
However, there will be no fiddling with worldbuilder allowed for map creation. None whatsoever. If I should find evidence of it, I'll just use my own maps.

This is from post #2 of my bullpen.

I'll give you credit for this time but if I play the map and find it obvious that it is tampered then I'll just stop using submitted maps.

@Metzi: To remove the suspicion that the map was tinkered in his favor somehow.

@kossin: To be honest, it's obvious that it's tampered (he even admitted it and there's an obvious "fun" thing in there) but I don't know whether or not it affects the game as I'm unfamiliar with a certain mechanic. If said mechanic doesn't exist, then the map is presumably as it should be.

@Moroktonos

Spoiler :
Doesn't fallout generate global warming? He'll never use maps by you ever again if the world starts turning into desert in the BC's.
QFT. Pls do not do fancy stuff like that again. Ever.

Spoiler :

He could have just been mean about it and place oil in form of a smile in the middle of the ocean. :)

Spoiler :
Well, I for one am pretty certain the fallout does have an impact. Maybe not in the BCs, but later as the populations grow, global warming will hit sooner. And any naval unit moving there will have to pay double cost.

As long as Kossin has not played the first round, it should be trivial to remove the graffiti (yea, that is essentially what it is), as we know what should be there and upload a nonmodified.. well, at least less modified version. And do not replace it with oil, assuming oil would be visible when he was moving a naval unit to explore, he'd be inclined to think there was land nearby while there is not, wasting some moves.

As to the changes related to russia.. why? Sometimes the player gets a crap start, sometimes the AIs get a crap start. It's part of the game. Why did you have to go and poke there? In some other comment I read most if not all AIs are grouped far from Kossin and he has a lot of room to expand. I'm quite tempted to load the map and look for potential "starting city" areas closer to his spawn to see if the have been relocations. Yes, after the stated changes, I'm that doubtful of the map.

If I were playing this series, I'd just drop the map right now as any change, regardless of (lack of) impact on gameplay is a sign that the map cannot be "trusted". Just my opinion, though.

Edit: I'm surprised no-one was direct enough to point out the clear violation. Not even me the first time around. So here goes:

This:
However, there will be no fiddling with worldbuilder allowed for map creation. None whatsoever.
plus this:
Moved catherine inland a little more, replacing a fish tile with a crab tile, and removed a mountain that would have cut off cathy completely from the mainland. I also made a fallout smile in the middle of the ocean, but this cannot possibly change gameplay.
equals: ...

I haven't started playing yet but I see a lot of suggestions to not even attempt the map. Let's see... I'll try it out and report back sometime later if I find it adequate. Otherwise I'm scrapping submitted maps for good.

Seems my edit happened after you posted that message. I recommend you read my edit.

I see. That's certainly more obvious as I didn't look at the spoilers.

I understand the references in the thread now.

I can't play this map knowing this now... especially with a spoiler about an AI.

To everyone wishing to submit maps: sorry.

Sorry for the trouble I may have caused, but I just could not combine the "no tweaking at all" clause with moving a civ, altering a resource and removing a mountain and decided you simply needed to know.

(Not sure why I am sorry for blowing the whistle, though. I was not the one altering the map.)

Ouch!

Ok. I entirely admit the smile thing was idiotic, and I am sorry about that. I'm retrospectively surprised I didn't think of that myself (yeah, hindsight... I know). (BTW, does anyone know for sure one way or the other about the mechanic?)

I will say in my defense, however, that multiple posters commented that the map looked like it would make for an educational DR. I did put in quite a bit of time trying to find maps that offered interesting strategic situations to players, and that were challenging (i.e., didn't have players starting on 1 tile wide penninsulas blocked in by mountain ranges) without being too difficult (not all too common on Deity). My intentions were good; this map is otherwise untouched. Only a flimsy and distinction-bluring comparison to the original Louis XIV DR map can even be made. It's really a pity this one is unusable.

So, let's move on, let Kossin make a new map, watch him soak the world in delicious nuoc mam, and keep any further unnecessarily sanctimonious comments about map tampering to ourselves. I will say nothing else about it.

Good luck to Kossin; I'm still a fan of the series.

Top Bottom