Dr kossin #39

I play unmodded BTS 3.19 so perhaps it was changed in a mod or from another patch, because when I mouse over cities or city ruins over FP it says desert. Peace to you too

FP is technically desert with some cherry on it. The problem is cherry is rather unhealthy by design:)

EDit: rechecked clearly plopping on cherry is healthy action:)

FP is the same as a forest - if you settle on it, it goes away. A bit weird but that's how the designers made the game.

This is right, all features (like forest, jungle, floodplain, fallout and city ruins) are removed, along with their effects, if any.

Settling 1N makes it a usual desert tile (0F, 0H, 1C because riverside)

FP is the same as a forest - if you settle on it, it goes away. A bit weird but that's how the designers made the game.

I do not believe this should have happened this way in original design, as it is terra-forming (not allowed in Civ IV), and has let me cheat a bit in certain cases. But I'm not complaining as Firaxis is sure to mess it up worse if they tamper with it.

Anyhow, I couldn't refuse an industrious leader and ran a short session through this last night. After liberalism I quit since the game is already won for me by this point and I don't see the point of hitting turns for another few hours.

However, I suppose a lot can change for other players so I'll keep my mouth shut for now.

Anyhow, I couldn't refuse an industrious leader and ran a short session through this last night. After liberalism I quit since the game is already won for me by this point and I don't see the point of hitting turns for another few hours.

However, I suppose a lot can change for other players so I'll keep my mouth shut for now.

When did you hit lib?

What do you guys do when two AI's are at war with each other and they both are at pleased, then one of them asks you to cancel OB with the other? Pre-cancel OB with both so then you don't get any rep hit's?

It's a tough decision indeed. Moving 1W adds the unhealth, as mentioned already. And the extra 1 flood plain doesn't become a factor until the city becomes large enough to work it...which is well after the point when the unhealth kicks in.

The question really boils down to this: what are you willing to sacrifice in order to have a Gold in your capital's BFC? Without any visible food source with >4 food in sight, it will be a hard effort to provide enough food to work the Gold. Without the burden of working the Gold, you could otherwise work 2 flood plains cottages instead of farms...as the cottages mature, they will eventually make up for the lost commerce from having no gold (assuming that you want to keep the same level of food surplus).

Another way to see it is ask, how would you otherwise work the Gold? 1W of the Gold is one option, providing a plains hill, although missing the fresh water bonus. However, such a city would have only 3 flood plains, and therefore less unhealth.

Gold + cow + PH city tile = a nice little powerhouse at size 2. Slowish growth from there need not be a problem I say.

Kind of echoes the gems discussion last time. I think I must be in Kossin's "greedy player" category :lol:

1W is an awesome city. Not like you'll be growing beyond size 5 at least until you get a few more health resources hooked up.

I took a look at this start again, and I think settle 1N could be better than 1W. Settle 1N only gives 4 flood plains in capital, you can then settle another river side city south to cottage spam the flood plains. That city will only have 4 FPs in BFC. Explore the southern coast for seafood.

These flood plains will give you 2 very good cities early on. Farm the FPs in capital for a worker/settler pump, and cottage the southern city as a commerce city.

This is definitely an above average start.

I also like 1N. Gets the gold in BFC, no health problems. And clearly there is a coast south of you, so moving north means you'll get slightly more land, other things equal.

Also by moving 1N you free up a few tiles as sites for the city that will inevitable go in the south, which will give additional flexibility in placing it. (Specifically it opens up 2S1W and 2S2W, also 1S3W although the latter seems less likely to be desirable.) This means that absent seafood down there, you can place the city where it can use mines in the hills south of your start. Might or might not make a difference.

I hate it when farming floodplains is the only way of getting a 4F tile, always such a slow early game.

I'd not complain about fps on this start, 1N is fantastic for an industrious civ.

I thought about that too...Gold seems pretty good for getting to + building an early wonder, Gold + multiple Floodplains + Plains Cow + grassland hills should make for a decent midgame wonder factory.

Of course, one trait shouldn't determine the strategy for a map, but it's something to keep in mind.

Round 1

I apologize for the sorry look of this round... but somehow the screenshots I took didn't register. I might go back to the autosaves tomorrow but I'm not in the mood tonight.

I settled 1N to avoid most of the unhealthiness.

AH>Mining>BW>Myst>Medi>Priesthood>Pottery>Fishing

After 60 turns, The Oracle is 1 turn from completion. I kinda wish I'd had planned this better now (I played very poorly looking back, I'm ashamed) and have 2 forests ready to be chopped instead of farming a floodplain - with an obsolete gambit in mind: run an Engineer and hope for the best -> rush Pyramids!

Anyway, there appears to be a large peninsula that I can block off so this shouldn't be a very difficult map. (maybe GLH can happen here - The Colossus I'll build for certain) Still I should prioritize the jungle area as that's more likely to fill out after I've blocked off the east.

Well I didn't plan very well so let's see how it plays out. (I hate foodless starts aka obsolete starts)

The known world
Spoiler :

Diplo
Spoiler :

Techs
Spoiler :

Attachments

• DR39 kossin BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    111.7 KB · Views: 71
With the Rice/Fish city, that should give you enough for what, 6 or 7 cities? Maybe more if you can get to those jungle cities?

Hope to ride out diplomacy, and that Darius ends up getting picked on.

Seems like a solid plan. Although my only question looking at the map - you don't have a lot of high food specials. Are the Pyramids really worth it? If you get an engineer, wouldn't it make more sense to try something more daring, like a rush for the AP or something like that?

First time I see somebody cry over a start with cows, gold and an abundance of flood plains. Propably has to do with the difficulty setting because at monarch I would love this start, especially with a start on a plains hill. A run at the pyramids could be fun and then maybe even make a run at the hanging gardens later on for some extra health. However I feel rexing is the most important now as the other ones are closing in and you know very little of the world so far. Too bad you haven't got horses.

hi guys :), first time posting a game on forums.

played 300 AD
Spoiler :
i am no deity player but i think i did pretty well as i play with barbarians off.

settled 1N- expanded east- -sucked at barb(lost initial warrior first animal encounter:lol:)-cottaged those fp -lost oracle-HR -philosophy bulb-boxed in-nothing else special.
looking for advice
1.darius and pericles are both in war with qin. should i declare on him too?
2.have i lost this game?

Attachments

• DR39 kossin AD-0300.CivBeyondSwordSave
    203.8 KB · Views: 44
Since I started playing on Deity, I've only built one early wonder so far in all of my games - I already have a hard time getting a decent number of cities when I just make Settlers, Workers and anti-barb units. Which factors (apart from Industrious) made you decide to go for Oracle on this map instead of making cities? I can't really see much from the map unfortunately, but it looks like at least Pericles can set up some cities on that peninsula (though he's not the fastest to expand, like the others you've met so far).

Top Bottom