• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Drum Solos

John Bonham. Drummer for Led Zepplin.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I feel like 17 minutes is going to be more than I need. A 17-minute song of any kind has to be something special. "The Poet and the Pendulum" by Nightwish is 14 minutes long, and that has, like, different acts. It's like seeing a play. Another 3 minutes, it might need an intermission. (I recommend the YouTube vid of the live 2015 performance at Wembley, if you're into symphonic metal. I don't think there's a big drum solo in it, though, so it's not something I'll post here.)

Bonham is great!

Michael Shrieve is my favourite.

It's not just the skills of a drummer.

It's being 19 years of age.

In front of a crowd of 500,000 people.

While being relatively unknown (and becoming living legends after coming out at Woodstock).

Also, it's about being free (and probably high as a kite). Yeah, more than probably.

Rare chemistry, if you know what I mean.

Enjoy.

The solo is 3:40 -- 5:40, but watch the whole thing. Musicians were there for each other that day.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I feel like 17 minutes is going to be more than I need. A 17-minute song of any kind has to be something special. "The Poet and the Pendulum" by Nightwish is 14 minutes long, and that has, like, different acts. It's like seeing a play. Another 3 minutes, it might need an intermission. (I recommend the YouTube vid of the live 2015 performance at Wembley, if you're into symphonic metal. I don't think there's a big drum solo in it, though, so it's not something I'll post here.)

One thing about Bonham, it's not that he was a great drummer, and innovative in what he could do. But also, a big part of it was the dynamic of the band. Most band wouldn't just walk off the stage for 17 minutes and let one member do his thing. It says a lot about the band that they would.

I'm trying to remember, and I think it was KISS, that I saw in concert where most of the band walked off so that the drummer could solo.

Two early entries for history nerds.
1. Gene Krupa from the mid 1930's was very influential.

2. The 2nd side of the 1968 album by Iron Butterfly is In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, a 17 minute song with a 2 1/2 minute drum solo.

Neither are my favourites, but worth knowing, just for the street cred. :)

The other examples in this thread are boring.

Top Bottom