1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Topic Thread (Trees and Diplomancy)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by StormbringerGT, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

I hate to impose Monkeyfinger. But is there any chance whatsoever that you could upload your CIV4PlotLSystem.xml? Call me lazy, call me ignorant or call me greedy, but I'm really not in the mood to go mucking about .xml's I've got no prior experience in today.

Throw it up, and I'll name my children after you. Or at least give one of them a Monkeyfinger nickname. :p

I think the rationale is penned down somewhere as it being attributed to building ON the trees, not beneath or around them. Improvements being 'strung up' in small tree villages.

Think Lothlórien. Think Darnassus. Think Ewoks. :p

2. Jules.lt

Jules.lt Prince

Now if that could appear in the graphics it would be awesome :goodjob:

3. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I worked on a special project for alternative energy, using computational fluid dynamic software... and I did my research.... trees within 500 ft or even more cause all kinds of problems for windmills. Even if the mills were on top of trees, the turbulence caused by the trees would break the windmills all the time.

Maybe dwarves could make such a wonder, but elfs just aren't that crafty.

4. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Lothlórien, Darnassus and the Ewoks respectfully disagree. Your argument is void.

5. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

6. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

7. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I don't know the other two, but where are the ewok windmills in forest? I don't remember seeing any.

8. JFSebastian

JFSebastian Scout

Yer really gonna doubt the militant little teddy bears that can hang glide in the forest understory? Don't ya know there are all kinds of crazy updrafts and air currents in sci-fi/fantasy megaflora forests. You just need to be native to know how to find and exploit them... Yeah. :)

9. JFSebastian

JFSebastian Scout

I just found this again on my harddrive and installed it on 0.41a. Seems to work just fine. Is there any reason this wouldn't still be compatible with 0.41a?

Also noticed the above link is dead now so here is a zipped version of it in case anyone else wants it.

Attached Files:

10. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

It's dead because I deleted it because

yes.

(Okay, it's COMPATIBLE with .41, but something minor broke, so I gave it a small update and reupped it.)

Here's the new one.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X34JN1GO

11. JFSebastian

JFSebastian Scout

Ah! Thankyou very much. It really is a huge improvement over the default, thanks for updating it. Out of curiosity, what was it that broke? I hadn't noticed anything wonky yet.

In case anyone is curious, this is what an elven forest looks like with Monkeyfinger's changes.

12. retro V

retro V Prince

Forever Autumn :(;)

And it looks as depressing as the song sounds. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the new (?!) Ancient Forest graphics. Not saying I liked the old vibrant green ones either. What I think they need is to be bigger, huge monoliths of nature, like monstrous Redwoods or the towering canopies of the Amazon. Instead they look like diseased Pines or something.

It is a good thing we can now see them when farmed or cottaged, well done to those involved. Could any reduction be made to the way the forests break up either side of a river? I'm not worried about realism, or real-world geophysics, but it would be nice if forests had a little more continuity instead of being separated the way they are around rivers.

13. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

One of the plantation graphics.

14. Spectral-Fremen

Spectral-Fremen Chieftain

How can you possibly argue that windmills take be built in a forrest because "its not realistic"? Next you'll be saying arguing for the removal of the Infernal because "theres no possible way that one could make a rip in the universe sustainable for long enough to transport matter blah blah ect".
    Its a FANTASY game. If Ulric can turn himself into a god i think its feasible to allow elves a little wind under the trees.

/rant

15. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

I was about to make the exact same point xD

16. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Minor Question(Seems like a somewhat adequate place for this)

Why were watermills removed in FFH2?

17. Ribusprissin

Ribusprissin Warlord

Is this thread still going? By the gods, trees can't diplomacy. Now let's all move on to another topic.

18. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Trees are perfect diplomats...their speech is all-but-inaudible and they are big sticks... :D

19. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

:lol:

That's great.

20. Neomega

Neomega Deity

And let's have water wheels in the desert. Magic!