Dual Topic Thread (Trees and Diplomancy)

Okay, so, bCutTree:0 works on farms, mines, and some misc improvements (like forts). It fails on the cottage line. Easiest thing to do is find the sections that contain them (farm sections are huge), cut and paste them to an empty text file, find/replace, then cut and paste the modifed sections to where you got the originals from.

To make the cottage line not destroy forests, you have to do the second kind of editing. I found that reducing fCenterCut to 25 for all of them and not touching any other variables worked fine.

Here are screenshots of a maturish elven empire with these modifications made. I played a settler game as Arendel for an hour or so and took these.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/Monkeyflinger/forestmod1.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/Monkeyflinger/forestmod2.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/Monkeyflinger/forestmod3.jpg

Making windmills not cut = fail. Can't figure out how to do that one.
I hate to impose Monkeyfinger. But is there any chance whatsoever that you could upload your CIV4PlotLSystem.xml? Call me lazy, call me ignorant or call me greedy, but I'm really not in the mood to go mucking about .xml's I've got no prior experience in today.

Throw it up, and I'll name my children after you. Or at least give one of them a Monkeyfinger nickname. :p

you cant have windmills in forests anyways. And if you can in the game, You shouldn't be able to. Its not really realistic. Trees are wind breakers. You will never find a windmill farm anywhere near a forest in real life.

However, perhaps coastal tiles should give windmills an extra hammer.
I think the rationale is penned down somewhere as it being attributed to building ON the trees, not beneath or around them. Improvements being 'strung up' in small tree villages.

Think Lothlórien. Think Darnassus. Think Ewoks. :p

I hate to impose Monkeyfinger. But is there any chance whatsoever that you could upload your CIV4PlotLSystem.xml? Call me lazy, call me ignorant or call me greedy, but I'm really not in the mood to go mucking about .xml's I've got no prior experience in today.

Throw it up, and I'll name my children after you. Or at least give one of them a Monkeyfinger nickname. :p

I think the rationale is penned down somewhere as it being attributed to building ON the trees, not beneath or around them. Improvements being 'strung up' in small tree villages.

Think Lothlórien. Think Darnassus. Think Ewoks. :p

I worked on a special project for alternative energy, using computational fluid dynamic software... and I did my research.... trees within 500 ft or even more cause all kinds of problems for windmills. Even if the mills were on top of trees, the turbulence caused by the trees would break the windmills all the time.

Maybe dwarves could make such a wonder, but elfs just aren't that crafty.

I worked on a special project for alternative energy, using computational fluid dynamic software... and I did my research.... trees within 500 ft or even more cause all kinds of problems for windmills. Even if the mills were on top of trees, the turbulence caused by the trees would break the windmills all the time.

Maybe dwarves could make such a wonder, but elfs just aren't that crafty.
Lothlórien, Darnassus and the Ewoks respectfully disagree. Your argument is void.

Yer really gonna doubt the militant little teddy bears that can hang glide in the forest understory? Don't ya know there are all kinds of crazy updrafts and air currents in sci-fi/fantasy megaflora forests. You just need to be native to know how to find and exploit them... Yeah. :)

Here's my edited LSystem

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5ESHZNV3

(CFC doesn't allow you to upload SML files for some reason)
I just found this again on my harddrive and installed it on 0.41a. Seems to work just fine. Is there any reason this wouldn't still be compatible with 0.41a?

Also noticed the above link is dead now so here is a zipped version of it in case anyone else wants it.

Attachments

• CIV4PlotLSystem.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 69
Ah! Thankyou very much. It really is a huge improvement over the default, thanks for updating it. Out of curiosity, what was it that broke? I hadn't noticed anything wonky yet.

In case anyone is curious, this is what an elven forest looks like with Monkeyfinger's changes.

Forever Autumn :(;)

And it looks as depressing as the song sounds. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the new (?!) Ancient Forest graphics. Not saying I liked the old vibrant green ones either. What I think they need is to be bigger, huge monoliths of nature, like monstrous Redwoods or the towering canopies of the Amazon. Instead they look like diseased Pines or something.

It is a good thing we can now see them when farmed or cottaged, well done to those involved. Could any reduction be made to the way the forests break up either side of a river? I'm not worried about realism, or real-world geophysics, but it would be nice if forests had a little more continuity instead of being separated the way they are around rivers.

How can you possibly argue that windmills take be built in a forrest because "its not realistic"? Next you'll be saying arguing for the removal of the Infernal because "theres no possible way that one could make a rip in the universe sustainable for long enough to transport matter blah blah ect".
Its a FANTASY game. If Ulric can turn himself into a god i think its feasible to allow elves a little wind under the trees.

/rant

How can you possibly argue that windmills take be built in a forrest because "its not realistic"? Next you'll be saying arguing for the removal of the Infernal because "theres no possible way that one could make a rip in the universe sustainable for long enough to transport matter blah blah ect".
Its a FANTASY game. If Ulric can turn himself into a god i think its feasible to allow elves a little wind under the trees.

/rant

I was about to make the exact same point xD

Minor Question(Seems like a somewhat adequate place for this)

Why were watermills removed in FFH2?

Is this thread still going? By the gods, trees can't diplomacy. Now let's all move on to another topic.

Trees are perfect diplomats...their speech is all-but-inaudible and they are big sticks... :D

/rant

And let's have water wheels in the desert. Magic!

Top Bottom