Dynamic Name editing

Shadow Warlord

Warlord
Does anyone know where/how to edit the dynamic names for civs in this mod? One of the things i've noticed is that some civs get stuck with static names (France as Frankish Empire) long after they should change while others have innapropriate names for their time period (England starts off as Kingdom of Great Britain).

Since this mod isn't being actively developed, and changes that can be made individually would be neat.

Look for Assets\XML\Civilizations, then open the file CIV4CivilizationInfo.xml. Inside the file, you can find the tags that start with <DCNConditions> (dynamic civ name conditions)

Each condition is processed in order and the civilization adopts the first name where all conditions are satisfied. The name itself is either given by a TEXT_KEY_... or you can just write what you want in the box.

Ok, got a chance to play around with this a little.

I started out trying to change France's DCN so their name would flow this way:

Frankish Empire > West Francia (844 AD) > Kingdom of France (987 AD).

I discovered that the latter two names had entries under the Text XML file, but didn't have corresponding ones in the CIV4CivilizationInfo.xml file. I tried setting it up this way(all these lines are near the bottom of the DCN Conditions before it ends and goes to actual Civ unit/Leaderhead info):

Spoiler :

<DCNCondition>
<DCNConditionCivic>NONE</DCNConditionCivic>
<DCNConditionOrCivic1>NONE</DCNConditionOrCivic1>
<DCNConditionOrCivic2>NONE</DCNConditionOrCivic2>
<DCNConditionReligion>NONE</DCNConditionReligion>
<DCNConditionNotReligion>NONE</DCNConditionNotReligion>
<DCNConditionVassalOf>NONE</DCNConditionVassalOf>
<DCNConditionGenericVassal>0</DCNConditionGenericVassal>
<DCNConditionMasterlOf>NONE</DCNConditionMasterlOf>
<DCNConditionMasterlOf2>NONE</DCNConditionMasterlOf2>
<DCNConditionGenericMasterl>0</DCNConditionGenericMasterl>
<DCNConditionAfterTurn>129</DCNConditionAfterTurn>
<DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeType>0</DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeType>
<DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeNum>0</DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeNum>
<DCNConditionConqASpecificProvince>-1</DCNConditionConqASpecificProvince>
<DCNConditionHasRespawned>0</DCNConditionHasRespawned>
<DCNName>TXT_KEY_DN_FRA01</DCNName>
</DCNCondition>
<DCNCondition>
<DCNConditionAfterTurn>86</DCNConditionAfterTurn>
<DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeType>0</DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeType>
<DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeNum>0</DCNConditionConqNumOfProvincesOfTypeNum>
<DCNName>TXT_KEY_DN_FRA02</DCNName>
</DCNCondition>
<DCNCondition>
<DCNConditionAfterTurn>0</DCNConditionAfterTurn>
<DCNName>TXT_KEY_DN_FRA03</DCNName>
</DCNCondition>

Basically what i did was make it so the names would change after a certain turn (86 for West Francia, 129 for Kingdom of France). I also tried rearranging the tag order so it would flow logically (FRA01 is Kingdom of France, FRA02 is West Francia, Etc...)

However, loading back into a game the name still shows after turn 86 as Frankish Empire.

Is there something else i need to change for the names to work? I tried looking at Arabia and Bulgaria for examples because their name changes work, and for Arabia going to Fatimid, Ayyubid, and Mamluk seems tied to Province #103, while Bulgarian Empire and Second Bulgarian Empire appears tied to Type/Number of Provinces (2).

Any Suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, i loaded a new game as Burgundy and going to turn 87 made West Francia appear. It looks like you need to start a fresh new game for the change to take effect. i'll need to experiment to see if it is consistent though.
EDIT2: after turn 129 name is stuck at West Francia. I'm wondering if tag FRA01 needs to be changed to something else?

Any change to the XML files requires a new game altogether.

The tags seem correct, however, make sure there are not other tags associated with the Franks that may overwrite the conditions set by you (for example, state religion and/or vassalage).

Any change to the XML files requires a new game altogether.

Oh just noticed you are active! sprt is back too. What is going on , I wonder. Perhaps Rhye will also make a comeback and Morholt at some point of this spring. :goodjob:

Ok, so a few weekends ago i had played around with the names and i was able to get names to change based on what year it was, or i changed default starting names to something more appropriate (i.e., England now starts as Kingdom of England instead of Kingdom of Great Britain).

Does anyone know if there's a condition for dcns that involves another civ being alive or dead? For example, if Poland collapse Lithuania (or other way around) and/or controls the other's core territory, it'd be cool to have the name read "Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth". The conditions already in the file mostly deal with civics, religion, turn, province #, being a vassal, and respawning, but i don't know how to write/code a condition involving whether or not another civ is dead/alive.

Dead or alive is not currently implemented and it cannot be done without recompiling the .dll file (which is pretty complex process).

As far as controlling the core territory, that's where provinces come to play. Controlling provinces is equivalent to controlling territory.

You can also make both Poland and Lithuania switch to the Commonwealth name if either one vassalizes the other, or if either one has the other's territory. The point here is that if you control someone else's core provinces, than more likely than not, they will collapse. This is as close to a "dead" condition as you can get right now.

@Shadow Warlord:
Here is our Dynamic Civ Names thread
There are lots of good suggestions there

Oh just noticed you are active! sprt is back too. What is going on , I wonder. Perhaps Rhye will also make a comeback and Morholt at some point of this spring. :goodjob:

I'm no Rhye, but I'm still around
And this might be even better for RFCE ;)

@Shadow Warlord:
Here is our Dynamic Civ Names thread
There are lots of good suggestions there

There doesn't appear to be a link, but i know which thread you're referring to. I'll need to look through it again. I only recently started playing RFCEurope again (mostly been on DOC and sometimes SOI).

Dead or alive is not currently implemented and it cannot be done without recompiling the .dll file (which is pretty complex process).

As far as controlling the core territory, that's where provinces come to play. Controlling provinces is equivalent to controlling territory.

You can also make both Poland and Lithuania switch to the Commonwealth name if either one vassalizes the other, or if either one has the other's territory. The point here is that if you control someone else's core provinces, than more likely than not, they will collapse. This is as close to a "dead" condition as you can get right now.

I like the controlling province option. Looking at the dcn conditions again it appears it determines provinces via number (ex: Egypt is province 133 or so). Is there a list anywhere of the provinces by number? I'm assuming it's organized left to right, but figuring out the order by looking in game would be hard.

in the end of the xmlconsts.py file (or the consts.py?)
but probably you should wait with your updates for the release, as there are already some dcn changes implemented in the next version

Top Bottom