(E&E) Civilization VI - Deep Dive: Haiti

TyrannusRex

Warlord

Empire of Haiti
Pearl of the Antilles

Natural wonders within Haitian cities provide +2 Appeal to all tiles within the city. Improvements over luxury resources provide +1 additional Amenity and provide bonus Tourism in later eras. Reefs provide +1 Appeal to adjacent land tiles and +2 Culture, boosted to +4 with Conservation.

Maroon
Renaissance Era unique unit. Melee unit that is cheaper to train than others, has high movement speed, and gains a +3 combat bonus when attacking or defending on Hills, Woods, or Rainforest terrain. Upgrades into Infantry.

Mache nan Lari
Unique District that replaces the Commercial Hub. Provides +1 Amenity to its city and provides Tourism in later eras. -2% discount on Gold purchases with each one built, -3% with Guilds, -4% with Banking, and -5% with Economics.
(For balancing purposes, I'm sure this discount needs to be capped at some point, but I'm not sure where would be a good place. Please sound off in the comments!)

Jacques I
Freedom from Bondage

Haiti can declare Protectorate Wars from the beginning of the game. +30% Production towards military units and Encampment Districts and buildings and +2 additional movement for military units during the first 5 turns of a Protectorate War.

Freed Man’s Republic
Dislikes civilizations that conquer or oppress civilizations or city-states not on their home continent. Likes civilizations who avoid doing this or who keep their conflicts internal.

Jean-Jacques Dessalines, you know what it means to face adversity and to rise above it, as do the people of your nation. You helped lead Haiti out of bondage and into a prosperous future, and once more do your people call to you for guidance. Build rich and vibrant cities that embrace the culture and strength that Haiti has within her, and soon all the world will know that a people who control their own destiny in spite of hardship need fear no oppressor.

Jacques I's Details

Religion: Catholicism
General personality: Quiet and cautious, generally seeming closed-off.

Dialogue:
Jacques would speak Haitian Creole.

Spoiler Dialogue :

Voiced Lines:

Greeting:
“I am Jean-Jacques Dessalines, Emperor of Haiti. What brings you to our shores?”

Agenda-based Approval: “It is good that you keep your blades and barrels pointed away from foreign shores. Fight for your own homeland, not that of others.”

Agenda-based Disapproval: “All the effort your armies exert to conquer land so far from home. Why do you insist on creating a fractured empire?”

Attacked: “Instead of peace, you have chosen war. Instead of prosperity, you have chosen devastation. Instead of flourishing, you shall perish.”

Declares War: “What do I care for the judgment of posterity, provided I save my country? The time has come to stamp out your threat to my people! Long live Haiti!”

Defeated: “If Haiti has fallen, let the blame fall upon me. But my people will not forget your cruelty. One day, your nation will fall, and no one will be to blame but yourself.”

Civilopedia Quote: “I want to keep with me only brave men. Let those who want to become French slaves come out of the fort. Let those, on the contrary, who wish to die as free men, rank themselves around me.”

Unvoiced Lines:

Invitation to Capital:
“You must come visit our capital, see our grand dockyards, our beautiful architecture, and the welcoming spirit of our people.”

Invitation to City: “If you’d so desire, you may visit our nearby city and take in the sights and sounds of the Mardi Gras festivities.”

Sends Delegation: “Greetings. My delegates come to your lands with poul an sòs, accra, tchaka, and plenty of pâté. Please enjoy with my best wishes.”

Accepts Delegation: “Your ambassadors toured the wilderness with me on horseback and took in the staggering beauty of our lands.”

Rejects Delegation: “I think not. I have no time for your delegation, I’m afraid.”

Accepts Declaration of Friendship: “Stand with me, friend, on the side of liberty.”

Rejects Declaration of Friendship: “I cannot accept your offer until I am sure you can be trusted.”

Offers Friendship: “I believe that our peoples have much to stand united around. Will you accept my declaration to the nations of the world?”

Player Accepts Offer of Friendship: "Let our people stand together in freedom, for all time."

Player Rejects Offer of Friendship: "A pity. This alliance would have been beneficial for you."

Trade Deal Accepted: “Thank you.”

Too Many Troops Near Border: “I see your forces making themselves known beyond our borders. I would hate to show you what happens when I must act unfriendly.”

Denounced by Player: “Your lies and calumny will deceive no one but yourself.”

Denounces Player: “Wise men lead with care and forbearance. I see no such traits in you.”

Haiti's Details
Start bias: Tier 2 towards Coast, Reef, Rainforest; Tier 3 towards luxury resources
Ideal victory types: Culture, Domination
Jerseys:
Haiti default.png
Haiti alt 1.png
Haiti alt 2.png
Haiti alt 3.png

The hibiscus is the national flower of Haiti.
These jerseys take inspiration from the current version and past variations of the Haitian national flag. The last one represents the
flag of the Haitian insurgents during the Haitian Revolution.

City list:
Spoiler Haitian Cities :

🌟Port-au-Prince
Petion-Ville
Fort Liberte
Dessalines
Cap-Hatien
Jacmel
Saint-Marc
Miragoane
Anse-à-Galets
Verrettes
Petit Goave
Thomazeau
Jean-Rabel
Port-de-Paix
Grand Goave
Kenscoff
Milot
Dame Marie
Dondon
Saint-Raphaël
Saint-Michel-de-l'Atalaye
Arcahaie
Lascahobas
Anse-a-Veau
Ganthier
Port-Margot
Desdunes
Capotille
L'Estère
Chardonnières

Citizen list:
Spoiler Haitian Citizens :

Males
Agwé
Armand
Augustin
Baptiste
Étienne
Henri
Janjak
Laguerre
Moïse
Toussaint

Females
Anaïca
Asefi
Dieufely
Hypolite
Jesula
Judeline
Manouchka
Medjine
Wideline
Yphigenie

Modern Males
Emmanuel
Francois
Jean
Joseph
Junior
Louis
Marc
Philippe
Pierre
Solomon

Modern Females
Farah
Guerlande
Lovely
Marie
Nadège
Natacha
Nephtalie
Rose
Stéphanie
Tamara

(I usually try to keep each civ's name list as unique as possible, but then I realized that France and Canada share a few citizen names, so screw it, I'm using a couple too.)

River names: Artibonite River, Grande-Anse River, Dajabón River, Rivière de Saint-Marc, Grande Rivière du Nord, Rivière Blanche, Rivière de Grand Goâve...
Lake names: Bassin-Bleu, Lake Azuei, Lake Enriquillo, Lake Peligre, Lake Miragoâne, Trou Caiman
Sea/Ocean names: Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Canal de La Gonâve, Canal de Saint-Marc, Golfe de la Gonâve, Canal de la Tortue, Baie des Cayes, Baie des Cayemites, Baie de Garcons...
Mountain Range names: Chaîne de la Selle, Massif de la Hotte, Montagnes du Cibao
Volcano names: Thomazeau, Morne la Vigie

Civilization theme: Wongolo (or Wangolo)
A Haitian song said to refer to the first King of Angola and the peace that African people enjoyed before colonization. In it, the singers call out to a distant African ancestor, saying that the times are changing and asking when they will come home.
Example for inspiration: "Ancient Era"

Another song that could just as easily qualify for a main theme (or some excellent ambient music otherwise) would be Haïti Chérie, a highly recognizable patriotic song about the pride Haitians feel for their country and culture. I would be more than pleased to hear either of these, with or without lyrics, as the civilization's main theme through the ages.
Example for inspiration: "Medieval Era"

In designing Haiti and Jacques I, I wanted to focus in on the strength and perseverance of the Haitian people, both in their unique culture and in their struggle for freedom and independence. Aside from the story of the Haitian Revolution, the other thing that fascinated me about the country is its sheer beauty. Haiti has some absolutely breathtaking natural sights, and I wanted to reflect that in its ability. Additionally, Alexander's Hetairoi pointed out that Haiti, being an island, could be the first civ to get a bonus from Reef tiles - and, upon further research, Haiti does have about 620 miles (1000 km) of coral reefs, so I threw that in there as well.

Maroon's Details
Era: Renaissance

Promotion Tree: Melee
Upgrades from: N/A
Upgrades to: Infantry
Unlocks with: Gunpowder
Obsolete with: Replaceable Parts

Cost:
•10 Niter
•100 Production
•680 Gold
•2 Gold maintenance cost
Stats:
•Movement: 3
•Melee: 48
•Sight: 3

Mache nan Lari's Details
Unlocked by: Currency

Pillage award: Gold
Production cost: 54
Yields:
•+1 Great Merchant point per turn
•+2 Gold from each adjacent River and Harbor
•+2 Gold from each adjacent Pamukkale tile
•+1 Gold from every 2 adjacent District tiles
•+1 Amenity
•Tourism equal to its Gold output once Flight is researched
Citizen Yields: +4 Gold per citizen
Trade Yields:
•Domestic destination: +1 Production
•International destination: +3 Gold
Unlocks
Buildings:
•Market
•Bank
•Stock Exchange
Projects:
•Commercial Hub Investment
Other:
•+1 Trade Route capacity
•Grants a 2% discount on all Gold purchases when built. This stacks with each successive Mache nan Lari built. Discount increases to 3% with Guilds, 4% with Banking, and 5% with Economics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom