Early Republic

jc011

Rider of Rohan
when i started a new game, i was off to a pretty fast start, (for me anyway). i was the romans, i could already build a phalanx and colossus. I was playing on king, and got two settlers. i reasearched code of laws, and then amazingly monarchy, i was thinking :eek: . Soon later i got republic, usually i wouldn't be able to use republic until i had colosseums, but when i went to republic, there were no dissorders and my science was 7 per turn in a early game!! is it better if you have republic early?

I usually stick to Monarchy until I can build the Statue of Liberty. By then I've got my feet off the ground, and paying support for all my units isn't a problem.

Early republic is effective, but your production suffers. You mostly just need to go into it prepared. Have your land improved already (roads, irrigation, mines). Settlers will eat 2 food instead of 1, so you may want to settle them first. Many early republicans advocate completing a happiness wonder first, to make sure nothing goes awry. Mike's Chapel is far cheaper than a colluseum in each city, anyway. Once you are set, revolt!

Your 7 turns per tech should speed up significantly - I can often get that in monarchy. Trade heavily, and your republic will advance quickly and rake in the gold. Good luck!

Early republic is effective, but your production suffers.
The switch from Monarchy to Republic/Democracy is often a tough pill to swallow at first... the apparant production hit plus loss of food (the +2 per settler) is sometimes hard. But if you make the switch, do not languish... get right into WLT_ days immediately. If you grow by 2 or 3 citizens per city, the production deficit should be offset. Two gold = 1 shield, for improvements, BTW. So even 2 or 2 shield cities can use their newfound gold to buy what is needed. The big cities build the 4 gold items: wonders.... and any city can build Carvans (2.5 gold).

The nice thing about Republic is that the Democracy transition is usually easier when it comes :).

My general rule is no representative government unless I can immedaitely celebrate a decent # of cities to size 7 or 8.When and what I need to do that depends mostly on difficulty level.

My cities will need to be size 3 or better for sure.

What is military situation?Is there threats?Would it be wise to maintain a large army?Absolutuely neccessary?

Do I have a raft of settlers/enginners?They will need more food..

For deity,only in occ will I go straight Republic.Lower levels...depends.

I tend to go the "prepare first" route with markets,trade routes and/or Mich's.
Others go right in and manage the best they can until things get running.If you go early Republic,you should be prepared to manipulate taxes and spend gold.You are sacrificing sheilds..more like trading sheilds for trade arrows.

The gardens can be most helpful to a real early Republic.That extra happy citizen can make all the difference at that point.

Well i'm just reaffirming what they've said, if you go into early republic and like it like i do, then you must go in prepared, unhappiness is a problem so early in the game because of the lack of happy buildings or wonders for that matter. But if you can handle the people republic is worth the unhappiness. Better science discovery and better income:goodjob:

Top Bottom