Early rush: How long?

BWS

Big Bradd Wolfe
Lately I have been getting the hang of early attacks on neighbors and nearby city states. However, I don’t yet have a good feel for when to stop attacking and focus more on developing my civ. What factors should I take into account? I think I understand general strategies, like timing attacks: get an offensive advantage from tech, like archers or UUs, attack until defenses catch up, then build up another tech imbalance. I’m not sure about the detailed tactics though, and I don’t know whether I should care about things like diplomatic warmonger penalties. What are good guidelines to follow?

You stop when you see the samurai swing his sword. They will all hate you no matter what. Somewhere along you need to get musettes and cannons.

For me the early rush ends when the AI starts building walls. That’s when I stop capturing cities and start concentrating on the longer game. The introduction of warmongering penalties also is about when I stop

Last edited:
Well, it depends of course but.
1) When it starts getting too difficult. You find yourself out-teched, or the walls they have started building are proving too much trouble.
2) Don't stop. If your UU comes at the right time you can usually just plough through the problems in 1.
3) Run out of opponents. Either you have cleared your starting continent or island, or the next opponent is just too far away to bother.
4) Some other random reason that boils down Its time to stop because I want to stop.

I stop when I can’t conquer more Cities with my Archers/Warriors/Swordsmen or when I have conquered all Cities on my continent.

Top Bottom