1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Early War vital?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by benjspurs, Jul 14, 2017.

1. benjspurs

benjspurs Chieftain

Since i started playing the GoTM i have noticed how many other players go to war early and i can see the obvious advantages (unit promotions, expansion without settlers, and cripple opposition)

I use to enjoy more peaceful playthroughs but now think the advantages of early war are to great to miss out on.

Does everyone else feel Early War is vital? especially if going for a fewer turn victory. Or is there a good strategy to get ahead in the game without early war?

2. juanpavo

juanpavo Chieftain

Growing your empire fast, early in the game, is vital. Whether you get that by spamming settlers or taking AI cities is your choice. It is easier to take a bunch of cities. Also, the AI will bring war to you if you expand in their face. Bottom line: expect war if you intend to win.

JamesCivFan and Japper007 like this.
  3. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Chieftain

My religious games (which are almost always peaceful) have still been much faster victories than domination by pretty large margins. Domination and science are about the same, with culture lagging very far behind. I also always shuffle map type though which probably naturally gives me more peaceful games (due to isolated island starts) than someone just using continents or pangaea.

4. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Because science victory is a fixed objective which scales with the number of campuses you have, the fastest win requires enough cities (~15-20) that it always seem easier to just take the other Civs out of your continent.

For culture, the objective is a moving target which makes it worth investing in culture early, plus you get actual tourism bonuses for being at peace with civilizations nearby. On high difficulty (when the AIs start with more than one city), some early war might be preferred, but on medium difficulty it's easier to imagine a peaceful route being competitive on time.

5. Hep Roc Heretic

Hep Roc Heretic Chieftain

Maybe not so much early war, but certainly build a strong military and use it aggressively from the beginning. Almost all of the unpleasant surprises in the early game will make you wish for strong military, so you may as well have one.

If war is an option early on, then by all means, declare war. Or not -- you will at least have a choice.

A strong military is a good start for whichever path you choose for victory.

6. Thalassocracy

Thalassocracy Chieftain

I prefer to go for expansion first, city improvements second, large army third to go for an attack (combine new production + classical units improvement).
    This is my favorite path of development during the game. I usually wait for a technological breakthrough to make the latest improvements and launch the attack.

Usually, AI does not improve its old army. It is very costly for its upkeep and quite uneffective in front of your more modern units.

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It does not have to be early, If you leave war a little then you get better eurekas and districts off the cities you take.
    You are far better off delaying while you get a settler and a builder and agoge ... and even then delaying can have greater rewards, as long as you can still pwn

8. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

I usually open with a scout and a pair of slingers to help my warrior deal with the first barb wave. If I find a close neighbor I can transition into war mode, if I find I'm fairly isolated I have a good defense for the swarms of barbs which will pour out of the fog with nobody else nearby to harass. It's definitely worth it if you can cripple or eliminate an aggressive AI like Montezuma.

9. Ornen

Ornen Chieftain

I plan for an early war, but not before I get a worker and settler up. Depending on the circumstances, I might get a trade route up as well – you not only get the bonus food and production, but get your units into battle much quicker as well. That second city should be pointed towards an opponent and used as a forward base against them.

stinkubus likes this.
  10. drmuser

drmuser Chieftain

I usually do not fight early wars, frequently I find it better to build up my economy, science, and culture. On the other hand, if another civ or city state starts way too close to me or takes one of my chosen city expansion locations, then I will usually conquer them.

11. MIS

MIS Chieftain

Vital? No. Optimal? Yes

stinkubus likes this.
  12. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

The weaker your military is the more likely the AI is to attack you.

13. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

No matter what VC your going for kill your first neighbor is still rule #1. In fact, one of the issues with civ has always been that once you sack your fist neighbor it feels like the game ends on the spot because you are now so far ahead.

MisterBoomBoom and Sherlock like this.
  14. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

My experience is even if you leave them alone sooner or later they'll attack you. Unless you have a BIG army.

15. drubell

drubell Chieftain

The AI cannot handle an early classical war with battering rams and great generals at any difficulty. In my experience it takes more resources to deal with wars in the mid game and late game than the early game. Whether or not early war is vital, I would argue that it's certainly easier.

16. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Agoge and Maneuver make it easy to create most of the units you will ever need, with any Civ, during the first 30-40 turns of the game on almost any map, so it makes sense that early war is always advisable. The only real exceptions are if your nearest neighbor is Gilgamesh, Montezuma, and Cleopatra (since the last patch). AI Cleo spams those chariot archers now. They are brittle, but a plain old warrior or archer will die if the chariot archer gets the first shot.

Any of those early UUs can be problematic if you are trying to rush with warriors and archers and if I see more than one I usually wait for better units. If they are that close and I can't rush them early I really like giving the DOF and getting them to expand right up next to me. I'll expand in the other direction and go find another target. Once the DOF is up I can go claim the cities they were gracious enough to build for me.