Egypt Easy Opening Startegy

Ianwill93

Chieftain
This strategy is for King (im only at King Level).

I generally use Egypt:egypt: but perhaps a good production civ like Russia could take advantage of it too. The point of this strategy is to build some nice Wonders so as to get off to a fairly insurmountable lead. Ive never lost using this strategy. The Wonders you'll be building will be Stonehenge, The Oracle, and The Great Library. You'll have them all around 70-75.

SPs(in order): Tradition, Aristocracy, Liberty, Citizenship, Meritocracy, Collective Rule (Oracle)

Techs: I usually start near Marble as Egypt and beeline for Masonry. If you dont have Marble (which really helps the timing) Beeline for Calendar. After Calendar go for Writing then Philosophy.

Builds: I always build Monument first. When using about 5 hammers I get it done at around turn 8 and get my first SP at turn 14. I then begin building a worker which doesnt take long at all. I usually start on Stonehenge as soon as i unlock the tech and then (with Marble & Aristocracy) I get it done in about 20 turns. During Stonehenge id have rush bought a Library after Writing completed and then after Stonehenge I build my NC. After NC is done i begin hard building the Oracle. During your building the Oracle you should unlock Meritocracy. I then take a GE, pause the Oracle, and rush the Great Library. I pick Civil Service and then continue building the Oracle. With the Oracle i take Collective Rule and from there you pretty much have the game. :king:
REX to your hearts content or if you play like me you Mini-REX to about 3-4 cities then Puppet everything. That way you can win whichever way you want.

Of course all of this can be adjusted for your games and i hope the very good players maybe tailor it a bit to fit whatever level they play (Ive played deity a few times and Stonehenge goes on turn 29 sometimes!!!:cringe:) I sometimes build the National Epic and the Great Pyramids before I Mini-REX. With that ive popped both a GE and a GS on turn 110!!! And of course you have to worry about early protection but between the NC and the Great Scientists you gain you're pretty much safe the entire game.

Well I hope this helps my fellow King players and those trying to reach King. Id love to get comments from all the players though so i can improve my game. Thanks all and I hope you enjoy playing!

I've done this one to good effect as Egypt on King - you can also pull it off with any other civ, just might go a bit slower. When I wonderspammed, I typically detoured to get National Capital and passed on Stonehenge (post .217 patch where early culture is easier to come by). I'm also a big Pyramid fan, especially as Egypt :)

Word of warning - the hardest adjustment for me when I moved to being an Emperor player was that early wonders were no longer spammable, and I had to use discretion as to which ones to pursue. This is a function of tougher barbs and more aggressive neighbors requiring a bit more of a military investment and also of AIs producing things faster. You can still build a decent set of wonders on Emperor, but you might have to choose 2 for an era rather than taking 3-4.

I do enjoy tripple-buffering +20% to wonders with egypt although it is much harder to play at higher difficulties. On emperor though, prepatch (spent my last 20 hours of play trying to figure a way to beat deity w the over-agressive new AIs) I used to like doing a NC/stonehenge/HE(heroic epic) start, and then slingshotting Steel and doing a longswords rush to puppet a weak neighbor.

The edge that egypt gives you in that setup, as opposed to say a natural warmonger civ, is that NC and HE are also considered as wonders so they are sped up in production. Allowing you to snag stonehenge and possibly more valueable wonders later in the game if you manage to retain tech lead. Obviously playing it as warmongering you kinda dump oracle or GL and possibly both if you get to renaissance before your 5th policy (aka b4 meritocracy). You can still get a free GE for a later wonder or a GS for a tech bump later in the game, patronage-scholaticism just happens to be way too strong when you get so much wealth from warmongering that you can ally every CS out there.

Word of warning - the hardest adjustment for me when I moved to being an Emperor player was that early wonders were no longer spammable, and I had to use discretion as to which ones to pursue. This is a function of tougher barbs and more aggressive neighbors requiring a bit more of a military investment and also of AIs producing things faster. You can still build a decent set of wonders on Emperor, but you might have to choose 2 for an era rather than taking 3-4.

It is still possible as egypt to hard build a few early wonders on emperor but definitely not all. The main reason why you won't take em all though is that emperor+ AIs get a lot of significant buffs, namely faster/more great persons and they use their GEs to hurry wonders all the damn time.

An alternate strategy to using Egypt for raw production power is to use Babylon and their early GS (made into an academy, of course) along with a NC start. You will miss the very early wonders like Stonehenge while you set everything up, but you can build a nice tech lead, even on Emperor. On Prince or King, this is going to be a very substantial tech lead.

So how does a tech lead help wonderspam? It unlocks wonders at the early edge of the global timeframe for them rather than the latter edge. If you beat the world to, say, Civil Service, by 10 turns, that is 10 turns more you have to crank Chichen Itza out before anyone else starts - and 20 turns more when compared to lagging in tech, which is a major issue on Emperor and beyond.

Using the meritocracy ge to build a manufactory should have a better long term advantage than rushing one single wonder, especially as Egypt

Top Bottom