Egypt Sandstorm + Marble = Emperor Wonder Spamming Delight

Merenptah

Warlord
Setup: Egypt, Emperor Level, Standard Size (8 Civs + 26 City States), Sandstorm Continents, Classical Era Start, Epic pace, Barbarians disabled, all victory Conditions enabled

Strategy in a Nutshell:
1. Egypt (+20% Wonder Production)
2. Tradition => Aristocracy (+15% Wonder Production)
3. Worker => Marble (+15% Wonder Production)
4. Stonehenge => Monument of the Gods (+15% Ancient/Classical Wonder Production)
5. The Great Library => Currency
6. Petra
7. ...
8. 35 World Wonders

The Starting Location:
EgyptSandstorm.jpg

File:
View attachment EgyptSandstorm_0075 BC-2125.Civ5Save

Enjoy!

Really think Desert Folklore would be a better pantheon on that map!

Why does the screenshot say Turn 75??
EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't notice the classical era start part.

I don't think you need monument to the gods to get Petra up on Emperor. Desert folklore will let you get a religion up quickly and you can take religious community (up to 15% production bonus to everything) anyway.

I don't think you need monument to the gods to get Petra up on Emperor. Desert folklore will let you get a religion up quickly and you can take religious community (up to 15% production bonus to everything) anyway.
Midevil era start. I'd agree, but if you purely want to wonderspam like the OP is inferring, and get Petra for sure it might be safest, dunno.

My latest game was very similar. The map type was Terra, but I landed on a similar spot to the one in the shots. I didn't pick Monument to the Gods, because I find it a bit of a waste (I picked the pantheon that gives you faith from wonders). Anyway, I was able to get the Great Library and everything snowballed after that. I had the science lead from them on to the end and, combined with the huge benefits of Petra, I was able to build the majority of the wonders in the game. I missed the naval ones, the ones that needed a mountain and a handful that I didn't try hard enough to get.

It felt quite liberating. Normally I hardly manage to build a few wonders on Emperor.

Too bad your start isn't coastal or mountainous. Also, there is plenty of desert but a lot of it is floodplains and there really aren't that many desert hills (which is the best tile for Petra).

I agree that Desert Folklore would have been a strong choice. I used to like Monument to the Gods but nowadays, even when I am production focused, I find that God of Craftsmen is often more useful. Given that your Egypt setup already has a lot of +X% bonuses, the base production added by Craftsmen might be more useful than the percentage increase offered by Monument.

If you want to go super production, you could always do God of Craftsmen -> Religious Community -> Guruship, though I'd consider dropping one of them for either Desert Folklore or Divine Inspiration.

You do not need Monuments of the Gods for Petra, but you need it for this:

AncClassWonders.jpgRelEnh.jpg

This is the exact same start is in the OP ... I just moved my settler to the coast as I play OCC and don't like being landlocked.
Check the Faith output (all from Divine Inspiration) ... I enhanced my religion the next turn before I even got to Theology and without a Shrine nor Temple nor City-State help.

The whole point of the post was about how to have a Wonder Fest ... easy on lower levels but no longer trivial at Emperor level. And the point of a Wonder Fest is three-fold:
1) Unique (and sometimes game-changing) bonuses
2) Deny those bonuses to your opponents
3) Multiple City-State allies without spending a penny

In general, Fertility Rites is the preferred Pantheon belief ... BUT if you play Egypt and have Marble (even on a Desert) ...

I'm thinking of cooking up a OCC to wonderspam. I'm definitely thinking Egypt. Will Sandstorm give me a likely awesome starting location with the right settings? I'm talking absolutely legendary...?

Also, would IP or RT best protect such a city, assuming that I would be at least 8-10 hexes from the nearest AI city?

You should have moved Northwest with 3 tiles within marble to build coastal wonders.

Also, Desert Folklore would have been preferable.

...Also, I would have just picked the good wonders.

Which defeats the purpose of spamming wonders for the sake of spamming wonders. Role playing ftw... or not. :)

There's just something so inherently satisfying about hogging 30+ wonders and leaving the AI with the pitiful scraps.

How many wonders are there in total? I am trying to beat this.

There are 39 World Wonders in total (including DLC wonders like Temple of Artemis etc.)

Check this thread:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12128587#post12128587; it has a save file attached with an even better starting location: desert, coast, marble + mountain which is missing here and which you need for Machu Pichu and Neuschwanstein.

On that map I managed to build all 39 WW on standard emperor level with classical era start. It is not a Sandstorm map, but a Sandstorm map is very likely to give you a nice Petra start which is excellent for OCC.

Also, would IP or RT best protect such a city, assuming that I would be at least 8-10 hexes from the nearest AI city?

I was wondering the same at some point and have tested this by playing the exact same game twice on a standard size map emperor level. The result was that Religious Texts is significantly more powerful: Tithe giving 156 gpt vs 102 gpt at the end playing Egypt.

But you cannot rely on passive spreading only. Basically, you start spamming Missionaries after you religion is enhanced and the Great Mosque of Djenne is up. When CSs are still small with populations < 10 you just need one spread in order to convert it, meaning that the first two Missionaries will convert 6 City States. Then, once you have Printing Press, nothing can stop your religion.

Itinerant Preachers is only potentially better with a VERY early religion (Boudicca, Ethiopia ?); but even then another Civ will definitely take RT and create an impenetrable and everexpanding zone for their own religion.

I just tried this strategy on deity. It was surprisingly effective even on deity allowing me to get to most of the wonders that I wanted first.

I managed to complete 26 wonders on deity and in the atomic era reached 251 production per turn!

Top Bottom