El Justo's Cookbook Thread

Those quesadillas sound and look delicious :eek: I might make them sometime.

A few contributions... The first I made on Thanksgiving, and the others are just desserts I've made many times and turned out great each time. The last 2 aren't mine, the first pretty much is (I say pretty much because I stole the parmesan idea from somewhere.)
Green Beans
1 1/2 pounds green beans
1 slice bacon, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil (light if possible for the higher smoke point)
3 tablespoons fresh herb(s) (sage or thyme would probably work best, but any could work.)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese plus 1 tablespoon, grated
2 cloves garlic
3 shallots
Salt and Pepper to taste
Handful of almonds (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Boil the green beans for 3 minutes, and put it in a bowl with another bowl of ice under it (keeps it a bit greener and will prevent overdoneness.) Melt the butter over medium heat with the olive oil. Cook bacon until it's getting to be done, but not quite. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds or until it smells really good. Add the green beans and continue to sauté (it'll take a while, probably 10 minutes or so. You want them slightly crisp but that's it.) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add about a tablespoon of parmesan cheese, then another, with about a half inch between each one. You should end up with about 8. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until crisp and a little golden brown (shouldn't be too visible or it'll taste burnt.) Sprinkle some of that parmesan cheese on the beans (about a tablespoon), plus the herbs and almonds, then top with the parmesan things you baked and serve. Serves about 8.

The other two recipes are here (cheesecake) and here (brownies) . My only complaints are that the brownies always take about 15 minutes more and I had to turn up the oven to 350F for 45 minutes on the cheesecake.

very nice viper275...

some baking recipes call for extended bake times if you live at higher altitudes. not sure if this is your situation but...

here's my recipe for today. short, simple and delicious!

Grilled Pita Bread

ingredients:
1 package of pita bread (w/ or w/out the pocket, small or lg, doesn't matter really)
olive oil

kitchen utensils:
large sautee pan
plastic spatula

- preheat the skillet on a MEDIUM flame
- once you notice the pan getting hot, add in 1 or 2 TBSP of olive oil
- plop as many pitas into the pan that can possibly fit; make sure each one is in contact w/ the hot part of the pan.
- grill each side for about 2 minutes each on the MEDIUM flame

once nice and browned, remove the pitas from the pan.

i usually cut each pita into 4 triangular shaped pieces. 3 or 4 of pitas is plenty as an appetizer for 2.

recomended condiments: humus is the main thing i use w/ this recipe. there are all types of different flavors available (at least at my local supermarket).

tahini sauce is also used to dip them into.

they also go very nicely w/ fresh cucumbers and/or olives.

if you feel adventurous, you can make your humus from scratch by mashing lots and lots of chick peas and then adding in your favorite spices such as garlic, a dash of olive oil and/or black pepper.

anyhow, enjoy. i know i did (just last night ;) )

Attachments

• pitas.jpg
    pitas.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 244
well, i'm going to deviate some from the kitchen format of this thread and present a bar recipe for all to share and consume (assuming you're of age of course ;) )

Los Margaritas Justos

translated literally as "The Righteous Margaritas" :banana:

the bulk of my time in the restaurant industry was spent behind the bar and as such, i have a wealth of cocktail information stored in my head. it's a shame that my master drink recipe rolodex was trashed when by bar shut down last yr :mad: anyhow...

ingredients:
tequilla (obviously)...recomended brands: Patron Gold or Silver, Don Julio Anejo or Repasado or Cabo Wabo
Gran Marnier or Cointreau
sour mix
limes
kosher salt (optional)
ice

necessary bar components:
a pint glass (16 oz.)
a jigger (measures the liquor in ounces)
tumbler (metalic cup that bartenders use to cover & shake/mix drinks)
blender (only if margs are frozen/blended)
large bar/kitchen sponge (make sure it's clean/new)

- start out by filling the pint glass c. 2/3 the way w/ ice
- measure out 1.25 oz. of tequilla in the jigger and pour it into the glass. if you can't find a jigger or comparable measurement, pour about a '3 fingers width' into the bottom of the glass. measure it against 3 of your fingers.
- measure out .75 oz of Gran Marnier or Cointreau and pour this into the glass. if no measuring instrument is available, it's simply a quick splash. be careful not to put too much of it into the drink. it will overpower the other flavors if you do.
- pour the sour mix into the glass and make sure you leave approx. 2 fingers width space at the top of the glass. in other words, DON'T FILL IT TO THE VERY TOP!

now, if you can, cover the pint glass w/ a tumbler or a larger cup so that you can shake it vigorously. if you don't have such an instrument, simply dump the mixture back and forth into another pint glass or similar sized cup.

not everybody has margarita glasses lying around their house (i do though :D ) so using one isn't completely necessary. however, if you like that rim of salt on your glass, you'll need to follow the instructions below:

pour some kosher salt onto a dinner plate or cutting board.

place your clean/new sponge on a dinner plate and pour some sour mix onto it so that it's completely soaked. now, dip the rim of the glass that you intend to put the drink in onto the soaked sponge and while the rim of the glass is wet w/ the sour mix, dip it into the plate/cutting board of salt and voila! there you have a salted rim for your margarita.

pour the shaken mixture into your salt-rimmed glass and garnish w/ a lime wedge.

bottoms up!

Attachments

• margarita.jpg
    margarita.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 296
El Justo's Famous Martini

ahh...sticking w/ the booze theme, here is my time-tested martini recipe.

i'll admit that it is an acquired taste yet at the same time it is the elixir of all elixirs!

anyhow, martinis are powerful cocktails that can really take the edge off. i like to have 1 or 2 of them before a nice dinner out on the town. be careful though, they're extremely potent. they contain 100% liquor and, if consumed by a light weight, can be disaterous.

this recipe is an "extra dry", "stirred" but not "shaken" and is "straight up".

ingredients:
top shelf vodka or gin (i prefer vodka)
dry vermouth (any brand really...the most common in my parts is martini & rossi)
ice
spanish olives or lemon twist

suggested liquors:
vodka: there are several...absolut, skyy, stolichnaya (stoli), grey goose, mezaluna
gin: tanquerrey, bombay, beefeaters

bar utensils:
16 oz pint glass (for mixing)
spoon
bar strainer
martini glass

start out by either putting the martini glasses into the freezer or into a pile of ice so that they get as cold as possible

- fill the pint glass to the rim with ice
- pour about a cap full (give or take) of dry vermouth into the glass
- muddle it very well w/ the spoon and dump ALL of the vermouth into the sink using the bar strainer (so as to not dump the ice, just the vermouth)
- fill ice to rim again if it melted some
- pour vodka/gin into the pint glass; leave about 2 fingers width space from the rim of the glass
- muddle again very well; add even more ice to the glass if you see that it has melted even more. the more ice the better!
- pull the martini glasses from the cold and strain your mixture into the glass
- garnish w/ either some olives or lemon twist

*if using the lemon twist, wipe the underside of the lemon twist around the rim of the glass so that the oils/flavor of the lemon is added. this is a classy touch :D

the proper way to order this sucker at a bar:
"May I have a Stoli martini, extra dry, straight up with some olives please."

bottoms up!

Attachments

• martini1.jpg
    martini1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 241
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP (I hate vegetables and yet I love this stuff!)

(amounts are approximate because I do all my cooking by intuition rather than numbers, sorry)

2-4 Butternut squash (each one will make about 1-1.5 one bowl servings)
2-4 oz butter (1 oz per squash)
1-3 tsp freshly grated ginger (depends on how much ginger flavor you like. I use a lot, my wife prefers less.)
1-2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (not that crap preground in a bottle!)
8-12 oz stock per squash (I use chicken stock but vegetable works just as well)
4-16 oz heavy cream (optional depending on how creamy you like it. If you don't want it you can substitute an equal amount of stock)
0.5 cup of brown sugar or, even better 0.5 cup of good maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste.

Section and deseed the squash (I prefer longitudinal half sections, but any way will work). Brush theh squash with a small amount of melted butter, salt and pepper lightly. Cover with foil on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 F oven until fork tender (time will vary depending on the size of the sections you cut the squash into. Obviously smaller sections cook faster.) When done, remove the squash and scoop the flesh out of the skin with a spoon and place in a large pot. At this point I add the 4 oz of butter as well as the sugar/syrup and stir it in until it is melted. I then add the amount of stock I feel is needed to achieve the thickness that I prefer and heat on low. Using a stick blender I puree the flesh while adding the cream until the consistency is right. Last I grate in the nutmeg and ginger and cook for just a few more minutes. It can be served immediately but is much better if you allow it to rest in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it.
My wife prefers to leave out the sugar/syrup during the cooking and drizzle the surface with hot syrup when the soup is served. I have also added cinnamon with the nutmeg and it works well.

Well, writing somehting in English if you lakc the kitchen lingo is hard.

What is the english word for a half-inch thick slice fo Turkey breast? In German it would be 'Putenbrustschnitzel' (Turkey brest snitzel).

Killer's quick Turkey stew

serves 2 (hungry)

2 ‚shnitzels’ turkey breast
red chili paste
sake
pepper (freshly ground)
salt
1/2 can of pineapple slices
500 g broccoli
soy sauce
vegetable oil
1/3 coconut milk
juice of ½ lemon
6 to 8 small mushrooms

optional: water chestnuts and other ‘typically’ Asian stuff, spices like lemon grass etc.

preparations:

slice turkey breast into pieces roughly 2 cm3
mix a generous amount of red chili paste, soy sauce, sake, veggie oil with salt and pepper into a marinade.
Put meat into marinade for at least 15 mins
Cut pineapple slices and broccoli into small pieces.
Cut mushrooms into 4 pieces each

Take meat out of marinade, keep the remaining marinade! Fry the meat in a pan on max heat, stir. After about 2 mins turn heat down and add the pineapple, mushrooms and broccoli and let the fluid reduce. After about a minute or two add the rest of the marinade, lemon juice spices to your liking, and coconut milk. Do not cook anymore!

Serve with rice.

carlosMM said:
Well, writing somehting in English if you lakc the kitchen lingo is hard.

What is the english word for a half-inch thick slice fo Turkey breast? In German it would be 'Putenbrustschnitzel' (Turkey brest snitzel).
nice work carlosMM :goodjob:

i'm not exactly certain as to the word you're looking for in english.

however, when i go to the delicatessan in my town, they ask me how i want my turkey breast sliced and i say "thick" which is about 1/3 to 1/2 of an inch thick.

El Justo said:
nice work carlosMM :goodjob:

i'm not exactly certain as to the word you're looking for in english.

however, when i go to the delicatessan in my town, they ask me how i want my turkey breast sliced and i say "thick" which is about 1/3 to 1/2 of an inch thick.

hm, what I mean is not the usual smoked or cooked Trukey Breast you put on a sandwich (obviously), but I must admit I have never seen turkey breast 'shnitzel' sold in the US.

What would you buy if you want to make a salad with Turkey Breast pieces on it?

btw, the lasange will come once I find time to make one :cry:

@carlosMM: :drool: That sounds good. By the way, I noticed that you said "killer's" recipe and have noticed other people call you "killer." carlosMM = Lt. 'Killer' M.?

well, back from holiday!

here's my latest...

i haven't made this one i a while but i will say that for as funny as the name (BBQ pizza :rolleyes: ) sounds, this is a delicious dish; especially if you like BBQ flavor.

serves: 2 as a meal and 4+ as an 'appie

prep/cook time: about 40 minutes or so

Ingredients
one large pizza crust (from the supermarket)
package of shredded mozzarella cheese
one bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
2 chicken breasts
black pepper
garlic powder
olive oil

first thing's first...preheat your oven at c. 400

- chop the chicken into small cube-like pieces and sautee on a very low flame w/ a TBSP or so of olive oil, c. 2 TBSPs or so of BBQ sauce, a dash of black pepper and a dash of garlic powder
- remove chix cubes once browned
- spread c. 1 or 2 TBSP of olive oil on your pizza crust and put it into the oven (w/out cheeses, chix, etc...this is to 'crisp' the crust some)
- remove pizza crust from oven after about 3 or 4 minutes. be vey careful not to burn the crust!
- spread BBQ sauce on the warm crust as you would do w/ tomatoe sauce on a conventional pizza; ie, cover the entire crust w/ a thin layer of BBQ sauce
- generaously spread the mozz. cheese over the crust. don't use it all up at once!
- place the cooked chix cubes generously around the pie and cover w/ remianing amounts of cheese
- place in already heated oven and bake for about 15-20 on 400. keep a close eye on it by checking on it everyminute or so after the first 10. once browned around the edges and the cheese, it;s finished
- pull it out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes

that's it! enjoy....

Attachments

• BBQChickenPizza.jpg
    BBQChickenPizza.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 241
Yom:

indeed. Long long time ago.

the recipe is totally my invention, so do feel free to add especially Thai herbs (I do not know their names) like the tough leaves similar to laurel and such stuff.

carlosMM said:
hm, what I mean is not the usual smoked or cooked Trukey Breast you put on a sandwich (obviously), but I must admit I have never seen turkey breast 'shnitzel' sold in the US.

What would you buy if you want to make a salad with Turkey Breast pieces on it?

btw, the lasange will come once I find time to make one :cry:
neither have i...

anything 'schnitzel' is good in my book :p

just had some weiner schnitzel over the holiday...

i love saying it, too. :lol:

hmmm....what would i use if it were for a salad? probably delicatessan turkey (it could be the processed stuff or real breast). obviously, i prefer the real stuff.

i mean, a "Chef's Salad" has all kinds of deli meats on it (turkey included).

turkey schnitzel is real turkey (not processed)?

i've seen & eaten things such as "ham steaks" which aren't steaks but are "thick" cuts of swine much like the turkey slices you described. however, i haven't seen "turkey steaks".

yeah, still waiting on that lasagna recipe :crazyeye:

El Justo said:
anything 'schnitzel' is good in my book :p
come here and I will take you to the place with the best Wiener Schnietzel ;)
turkey schnitzel is real turkey (not processed)?
yes, real turkey breast cut into slices about a finger thick. Steak would fit as well.

yeah, still waiting on that lasagna recipe :crazyeye:
sorry, I was horribly busy and had very little time to cook, and I jsut can#t jugde amounts from memory.

carlosMM said:
come here and I will take you to the place with the best Wiener Schnietzel ;)
yes, real turkey breast cut into slices about a finger thick. Steak would fit as well.

sorry, I was horribly busy and had very little time to cook, and I jsut can#t jugde amounts from memory.
i'm sure american-made weiner schnietzel pales is comparison to the "real mccoy" ;)

germany i s'pose? i'd love that...someday i'll go there.

no prob on the lasagna recipe. i've been busy myself.

btw, thanks for the thread bump

El Justo said:
i'm sure american-made weiner schnietzel pales is comparison to the "real mccoy" ;)

germany i s'pose? i'd love that...someday i'll go there.

no prob on the lasagna recipe. i've been busy myself.

btw, thanks for the thread bump

Yes, German, and we have a great Schnitzel place here - so I extend a formal invitation to you!

I'll try to add a few things from time to time, but trying out the posted things ehre will have priority :p

carlosMM said:
Yes, German, and we have a great Schnitzel place here - so I extend a formal invitation to you!

I'll try to add a few things from time to time, but trying out the posted things ehre will have priority :p
why thank you!

a european trip is in the works w/in a yr or 2. germany is definitely on the itinerary. i will take you up on that offer!

from time to time is perfect...that's what i shall do myself.

Pecan Pie, made it a couple nights ago and it turned out good. You could leave out the chocolate and you'd have a regular pecan pie, too.

For the dough:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
3/8 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided, diced
3/8 cup cold water, more if needed

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt and mix to combine. Add the butter in and work together with your hands (I tried the food processor but it just didn't work for me, you can try it and if it works for you, that's probably easier [but this method can be more fun :smug: .]) Add in water, one tablespoon at a time, until it just starts to come together.

Roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thick disk. Grease a 10-inch pie pan and place dough into it. 10-inch pie pan and add weights (beans work well), then bake for about 15 minutes.

Filling:

1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups pecan halves
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces chocolate chips

Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, eggs, and pecans, and stir until all ingredients are combined.

Pour mixture into the pie shell, and bake in a pie pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool.

Top Bottom