Election!

Why not allow a propaganda campaign so that I can get the senate to approve. Eg get war quest to capture a resource but are a republic and senate does not like the idea so you run a propaganda campaign "their leader eats babies" so you can get the senate on side. Eg WWI. Just another option somewhere when you try to declare war with a cost related to era and size of your civ.

Heh...Heh.. Diabolical. I like it. I haven't gotten started yet with the Senate stuff yet though, just elections.

You don't have to assassinate the other guy running to get him out of the race, just arrange a scandal (large opportunity for humor here). Also, if the senate is going to interfere, as a matter of reaslism, you might think about giving them a look at all of the player's diplomatic options for "oversight." You might even combine the effects of elections-you may stay in power, but the senate/parliament is filled with 'loyal opposition' that go out of their way to interfere out of shear spite-and if they make you look bad eough, your chances for reelection the next time are diminished.

One could indeed add event based quests for civics that allow political debate. something of the type 'bulild this or that in 20 turns or the workers will go on strike'. and other quest events for other civic types. could really help to make each civic very unique.

hmm, also such things could be used to prevent certain civic combinations like democracy and slavery... that might even end in a small civil war, heh? and the demostrations of '1st May' to enforce certain other civics: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Riot.

Brilliant! I love this idea more and more. I have often thought that the end-game (assuming I'm doing well enough to get there) starts to get a bit dull, e.g. "oh look, I'll just muster another 20 riflemen/infantry/what-have-you and wipe you out too."

I figure I should update everyone with a progress report, and a tantalizing screen shot:
Spoiler :

Progress:
  • Opponent Selection Mechanic (Done, but Untested)
  • Alternate Civic Selection Mechanic (Done, but untested)
  • AI (0% Complete)
  • Election Timers (100% Done & Working)
  • Text Entries (2% Done, a long way to go)
  • AI control over your country (0% Done)

This is looking great :)

You've also helpfully provided a shot of the brown interface, so I'm happy to stay with blue. (The gold interface from BM is frightful!)

The AI doesn't need(but it can if the player chooses) to take control of the civ your playing, You could just become the other leader.

i.e:
Bismarck(Player) and Fredrick(AI) are running for re-election and Bismarck loses, the player can choose to:
-go into exile leading a rebel civ(same or similar type)
-take control of Fredrick and keep control of the empire/nation
-or becoming the 2nd in command(not sure how this could be represented though) type thing

Going to make the end game much, much better.

The AI doesn't need(but it can if the player chooses) to take control of the civ your playing, You could just become the other leader.

Shh... Don't tell them how AI's taking over another AI's civ works. I doubt I'd add that for humans, but that's exactly how the AI's will work. I'll change the personality though.

Racial traits might vary, depending on whom won the election? That sounds like a great idea :p

what does race have to do with anything?

nothing, arakhor is clearly racist...

lol no i think he means attributes/traits like imperialistic, industrious, scientific. I think he assumes that if your civ is lacking scientific progress and the people want it then the opponent will have a great chance to have scientific as one of his traits.

I figure I should update everyone with a progress report, and a tantalizing screen shot:
Spoiler :

Progress:
  • Opponent Selection Mechanic (Done, but Untested)
  • Alternate Civic Selection Mechanic (Done, but untested)
  • AI (0% Complete)
  • Election Timers (100% Done & Working)
  • Text Entries (2% Done, a long way to go)
  • AI control over your country (0% Done)

Lol, Screenshot failed.

lol no i think he means attributes/traits like imperialistic, industrious, scientific. I think he assumes that if your civ is lacking scientific progress and the people want it then the opponent will have a great chance to have scientific as one of his traits.
Well, that's logical, surely? Either that, or Bismarck is picked to contest your Frederick and wins and then Germany will still be led by someone with different traits.

Well, that's logical, surely? Either that, or Bismarck is picked to contest your Frederick and wins and then Germany will still be led by someone with different traits.

some one will need to code it so it works with unrestricted leaders and with the Mega leader pack

I agree that makes sense and i would want that. But it would be fine if the opponent is Bismarck the Second and he has different traits reflecting what the people want. That would suffice. I wasn't criticizing your idea i was just explaining what you meant, because racial traits isn't the right term.

Wait, so the replacement leaders might have different traits than they would if you had started as them? It's possible (in FfH, one leader has the trait Insane, which randomly picks new traits for him every once in a while), but I don't know how hard the code is.

Wait, so the replacement leaders might have different traits than they would if you had started as them? It's possible (in FfH, one leader has the trait Insane, which randomly picks new traits for him every once in a while), but I don't know how hard the code is.

Oh yeah i remember that.

One could indeed add event based quests for civics that allow political debate. something of the type 'bulild this or that in 20 turns or the workers will go on strike'. and other quest events for other civic types. could really help to make each civic very unique.

hmm, also such things could be used to prevent certain civic combinations like democracy and slavery... that might even end in a small civil war, heh? and the demostrations of '1st May' to enforce certain other civics: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Riot.

Democracy and slavery have worked well together in the past, you just have to define a citizen as not a slave and there you have it :mischief:. By which I mean democracy and emancipation are not the same thing.

Athens said you should reconsider

Top Bottom