EmbarkedallWaterPassage Help

jfoytek

Chieftain
I am planning to give this to a technology before Astronomy. My question is how do I remove it from Astronomy. If I set it to false wouldn't that in effect take Embarking across the ocean away when it gets researched. So how do I strip this trait away from astronomy completely?

I am planning to give this to a technology before Astronomy. My question is how do I remove it from Astronomy. If I set it to false wouldn't that in effect take Embarking across the ocean away when it gets researched. So how do I strip this trait away from astronomy completely?
By default every technology has this column set to "false". You really need to look at the defnitions of the game tables for technologies (and in fact for any game-table you are working with) to see what the default settings are, and also the type of setting allowed, as well as what other tables or game elements an individual column is referencing all entries to.

for BNW, look at the definitions at the top of the file called CIV5Technologies.xml in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Technologies*

*your exact path might be a little different dependant on whether you have Win8, Win7, etc.

[hint]I have a short discussion on how to "read" these table and column definitions in the Common Novice-Modders Mistakes thread

What LeeS said. But to ensure that it is removed from Astronomy completely, all you would need to do is use the following code:
Code:
<Technologies>
     <Update>
          <Where Type="TECH_ASTRONOMY" />
          <Set EmbarkedallWaterPassage="false" />
     </Update>
</Technologies>
I think he was concerned that if he did so, when the player researched TECH_ASTRONOMY, this would shut off being able to embark. I should have been more obvious, I guess, and explained that the column only has an effect for that technology when the boolean is set to "true", and then only to enable ocean-tile crossing.

Also, EmbarkedAllWaterPassage.

I think he was concerned that if he did so, when the player researched TECH_ASTRONOMY, this would shut off being able to embark. I should have been more obvious, I guess, and explained that the column only has an effect for that technology when the boolean is set to "true", and then only to enable ocean-tile crossing.

Also, EmbarkedAllWaterPassage.

D'oh! Fixed.

Heh...I may have misread the OP, but I thought he was asking how to disable it for Astronomy because he wanted to give it to a prior tech.

Oh well!

Thank you guys.

For the record I am looking at the tech tables and Astronomy is the only one that even has this listed among its traits.

That's why my belief that if it were set to false would trigger embarking across ocean to go away...

D'oh! Fixed.

Heh...I may have misread the OP, but I thought he was asking how to disable it for Astronomy because he wanted to give it to a prior tech.

Oh well!
I think you were correct in what he wants to do, but he thought (anyway, that's how I interpretted his OP) that by setting it back to false in Astronomy that would cancel the effect from whichever earlier tech he wants to give it to.
Thank you guys.

For the record I am looking at the tech tables and Astronomy is the only one that even has this listed among its traits.

That's why my belief that if it were set to false would trigger embarking across ocean to go away...
Yeah, it only shows in the Astronomy tech because it is a column that enables for the rest of the game. So you can safely set it to "false" (ie, the default setting) for Astronomy, and give it whichever tech you were wanting to give it to.

You guys have been awesome but I must admit I am getting quite discouraged.

I keep running into issues at every turn, and this actually isn't the first time I have attempted to create a mod, but I was quite determined this time lol....

Alas this lattest issue where I cant get the dds files to load is likely the final drop in the bucket I am quite sure I am doing everything right but for some reason they just refuse to load....

Here is the CIV5IconTextureAtlases. xml file

Code:
<GameData>	
		<IconTextureAtlases>
			<Row>
				<Atlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS</Atlas>
				<IconSize>256</IconSize>
				<Filename>SquareRig256.dds</Filename>
				<IconsPerRow>8</IconsPerRow>
				<IconsPerColumn>8</IconsPerColumn>
			</Row>
			<Row>
				<IconSize>214</IconSize>
				<Filename>SquareRig214.dds</Filename>
			</Row>
			<Row>
				<IconSize>128</IconSize>
				<Filename>SquareRig128.dds</Filename>
			</Row>
			<Row>
				<IconSize>80</IconSize>
				<Filename>SquareRig80.dds</Filename>
			</Row>
			<Row>
				<IconSize>64</IconSize>
				<Filename>SquareRig64.dds</Filename>
			</Row>
			<Row>
				<IconSize>45</IconSize>
				<Filename>SquareRig45.dds</Filename>
			</Row>
		</IconTextureAtlases>		
</GameData>

My Technology xml file

Code:
<GameData>	
	<Technologies>		
		<Update>
			<Set Disable="True"/>
			<Where Type="TECH_ARCHAEOLOGY"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Set GridY="27"/>
			<Where Type="TECH_ARCHAEOLOGY"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Set Cost="1600" GridX="9" GridY="1"/>
			<Where Type="TECH_NAVIGATION"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Set Cost="1150" EmbarkedAllWaterPassage="false" GridX="8" GridY="1"/>
			<Where Type="TECH_ASTRONOMY"/>
		</Update>
		<Row>
			<Type>TECH_SQUARE_RIG</Type>
			<Cost>780</Cost>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_TITLE</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_DESC</Civilopedia>
			<Quote>TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_QUOTE</Quote>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_HELP</Help>
			<Era>ERA_RENAISSANCE</Era>
			<EmbarkedallWaterPassage>True</EmbarkedallWaterPassage>
			<Trade>true</Trade>
			<GridX>7</GridX>
			<GridY>1</GridY>
			<PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>
			<IconAtlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS</IconAtlas>
			<AudioIntro>AS2D_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_</AudioIntro>
			<AudioIntroHeader>AS2D_HEADING_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_</AudioIntroHeader>
		</Row>
	</Technologies>
	<Technology_PrereqTechs>
		<Delete TechType="TECH_ARCHAEOLOGY" PrereqTech="TECH_NAVIGATION"/>
		<Delete TechType="TECH_ASTRONOMY" PrereqTech="TECH_COMPASS"/>	
		<Update>
			<Where TechType="TECH_ASTRONOMY"/>
			<Set PrereqTech="TECH_SQUARE_RIG"/>
		</Update>
		<Row>
			<TechType>TECH_SQUARE_RIG</TechType>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_COMPASS</PrereqTech>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_EDUCATION</PrereqTech>
		</Row>
	</Technology_PrereqTechs>
	<Technology_Flavors>
		<Row>
			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_NAVAL</FlavorType>
			<Flavor>5</Flavor>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_EXPANSION</FlavorType>
			<Flavor>10</Flavor>
		</Row>
	</Technology_Flavors>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_TITLE">
			<Text>
				Square Rig
			</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_DESC">
			<Text>
				Square rigs allowed the fitting of many small sails to create a large total sail area to drive large ships. Fore-and-aft could be sailed with less crew and were efficient working to windward or reaching, but creating a large total sail area required large sails, which could cause the sails and cordage to break more easily under the wind.
			</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_HELP">
			<Text>Leads to the Caravel the first Ocean going ship and the ability to embark on water.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TECH_SQUARE_RIG_QUOTE">
			<Text>[NEWLINE][ TAB ][ TAB ]"The crew of the caravel Nina also saw signs of land, and a small branch covered with berries. Everyone breathed afresh and rejoiced at these signs."[NEWLINE][ TAB ][ TAB ] - Christopher Columbus[NEWLINE][ TAB ]</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

and I am sure that I re sized each and every dds file and the icon is in position 0
SquareRig256.dds
SquareRig214.dds
SquareRig128.dds
SquareRig80.dds
SquareRig64.dds
SquareRig45.dds

But all I get is an Texture Error SquareRig64.dds fails to load.

I have deleted that file twice and remade it twice... also all the other pictures do not display either...

post the mod itself. whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial

also if you have not done so, enable logging whoward69's enable error logging tutorial and then look in the Database.log as the 1st place to look for errors related to your xml code.

But if it were me I would not use the atlas name CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS, as I think that is an example atlas name Kael used in his how-to-mod-CIV5 guide, and it seems that everyone and their brother uses that same exact atlas name, which can cause problems.

Additionally, to check that the code is working (minus the new art-work), temporarily just borrow an IconAtlas and PortraitIndex reference from one of the existing techs.

If it is not an issue with code, you've moved beyond my area of expertise concerning the artwork troubles. That stuff is still just pretty much a murky enigmatic confusing wall-of-fail for me, too.

Nothing in the log I have uploaded the Mod

Attachments

• BlackSails2.zip
    295.5 KB · Views: 48
Nothing in the log I have uploaded the Mod

No, you've uploaded the ModBuddy project - read sig link #2 again ;) And while your reading the links, also #3, as you've omitted VFS=true on all the DDS files

See your modbuddy settings for your dds files. None of them are set Import Into VFS=true in modbuddy. whoward69's what ModBuddy setting for what file types tutorial. This common mistake is also mentioned in my evolving Common Novice-Modder Mistakes thread.

Alos, re-look at whoward's tutorial on how to attach your mod. We generally only want what is sent to your "Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS" folder by Modbuddy, because anything else is unnecessary, can't be easily used by anyone else when trying to trouble-shoot an error, and does not guarantee we are all looking at the same info as is the game.

[edit]Looking at your icon files in gimp I notice they all have a solid black background. Most Icon files I've seen have a "checkerboard"
background of grey and white. Unfortunately I don't have enough art-work expertise to know if that makes a problem for the game, or is perhaps an indication of a wrong setting for the icon's background in whatever program you used to create the icons.

WOOOOO HOOOOOO

Thank you Who!!!

Its Kind of working lol.... The black square section of the grid is actually showing and covering stuff up.... I am guessing its some sort of transparency and layer issue but I know nada about graphics... time to pound the head against the wall on this lol

I know nada about graphics... time to pound the head against the wall on this lol

Why not try searching the Tutorials sub-forum, as there are several tutorials on making icons in it!!!

Woot got the icon thing solved, And yes Who I have been looking at the tutorials but the problem with them is there written for photoshop or gimp...

Photoshop costs money so a no go for me and

Gimp made my head hurt, then I found out it needed a DDS plugin so got that which then found out the pluggin needed additional dll's etc to download to get it to work which was to much for me so I found Paint.Net

Which does dds with no pluggins needed and its simpler to use but no tutorials listed for it lol.... but anyway got the layer thing figured out...

Now next step to make my very own first unit the the Carrack first of many Renassaince ships I plan to add, but if my previous adventures are a judge of how things are going to go I am sure making my first unit will take me two days.... off to read more tutorials...

Top Bottom