embassy cause covet your land?

There's some truth to this: AI can't envy what they can't see.
However, chances are that if they were close to you they'd have found your territory soon anyway.

Can't say there is a direct link between them. However, accepting an embassy does clear the FoW around your capital, so AI can evaluate your location in regards to theirs. If you happen to be located really close to AI, then yes, they will covet your land. But if you are far away and have other civs as a buffer you should be fine.

Unless you accepted the Zulu embassy.

The diplomatic AI knows how far away your capital is without revealing your territory, so an embassy doesn't change how much they covet your land

Ya but I was like...pretty damn far from Spain last game playing on immortal.

They saw my capital and they came at me with like 20 units from a long ass ways a way.

I sorta remember that I met Rome (saw his territory, not the other way around) and immediately saw "we covet your lands" - despite the fact that this was first contact and we hadn't even exchanged embassies yet.

Hmm.

some civ AI's auto-covet. Zulu, Russia are examples. i've not noticed specifically an AI auto-coveting if they haven't even seen your border yet. perhaps one of his units had actually uncovered your border tile?

some civ AI's auto-covet. Zulu, Russia are examples. i've not noticed specifically an AI auto-coveting if they haven't even seen your border yet. perhaps one of his units had actually uncovered your border tile?

Greece and Polynesia covets all the lands.

Can't say there is a direct link between them. However, accepting an embassy does clear the FoW around your capital, so AI can evaluate your location in regards to theirs. If you happen to be located really close to AI, then yes, they will covet your land. But if you are far away and have other civs as a buffer you should be fine.

Unless you accepted the Zulu embassy.

good point about the FoW - never thought about that before

The diplomatic AI knows how far away your capital is without revealing your territory, so an embassy doesn't change how much they covet your land

But they don't know about the terrain until they clear fog of war; and terrain is also a major factor that determines how much land envy they get.
Distance is then implied in an inverse ratio; and there's also a factor dealing with that AI's aggressive flavor.

Oops meant Deity difficulty level. I always pick the hardest level of difficulty but I got its name mixed up thinking it was called immortal

Embassy does two things:
1. Reveal your relative positioning to the AI
2. Reveal your city strength.

The first makes the AI covet your land.
The second is factored into the AI's decision to actually invade you.

An embassy can also leave your capital open to spies. If you can get a tech lead, you should avoid embassies because other civilizations could steal a technology or two.

Embassies also attract missionary spam, so that can be a reason to found your religion outside of your capital.

They saw my capital and they came at me with like 20 units from a long ass ways a way.

Were you able to hold up? If not, did you try reloading?

The only time I accept an embassy, is when I am looking for their capitol that is hidden deep in their territory just before I declare war. Otherwise I do not engage them diplomatically. If they constantly hound me for resources, I just denounce them and the spam stops.

The only time I accept an embassy, is when I am looking for their capitol that is hidden deep in their territory just before I declare war. Otherwise I do not engage them diplomatically.

Interesting playstyle.

If they constantly hound me for resources, I just denounce them and the spam stops.

This statement made me laugh so hard it was hard to type this post. Too bad e-mail doesn't have this feature.:)

An embassy can also leave your capital open to spies. If you can get a tech lead, you should avoid embassies because other civilizations could steal a technology or two.

Doesn't actually work that well; if your capital is coastal, they'll find it easily by caravel. If interior, then eventually their scout unit will be on your landmass and will probably find a hill just outside your territory to see it before your culture expands to it.

Top Bottom