Embassy

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Civ Fans

What are the pro s and con s to having embassy's with other civs.
Thanks

Brew God

You know where their capital is, how big it is, and what's around it and they know the same about yours.

Snes

The only con is that they know where your capitol is if they did not already.

The pro is that it gives a very minor positive diplo hit that might slow or stop and DoW.
You must have shared embassies to make an RA, and get open borders (you want their open borders)

Most people recommend selling your embassies right away for 1gpt.
I always trade mine and never sell them. I find that knowing the map layout helps scouting immensely, and I don't then have to buy embassies back later in the game

The main pro to an embassy is if you don't, the AIs will constantly nag you about establishing one.

I don't think there's even a situation where you don't want an embassy.

When you want to save all your spies for city-states/stealing tech rather than counter-spying? I can normally keep track of any civ that comes up on a hill or next to plains on the border of my capital and only accept embassies with them.

I can normally keep track of any civ that comes up on a hill or next to plains on the border of my capital and only accept embassies with them.

And clearly those civs won't spy on you, right?

If the AI has already discovered your capital, there is no real con at all.

But if they don't have it already, then the AI could develop land envy from it.

Yup, the AI can't spy on your capital if they've never gotten visibility. (Less of a factor in BNW; AI seems to prefer Diplomats)

Embassies are great. Don't hesitate to set an embassy in another civilization's capital.

The main pro to an embassy is if you don't, the AIs will constantly nag you about establishing one.

This... Gawd I hate it, same with open borders. Give us an option to say "nah, and don't bother asking again I'll come to you if I have an interest" :p

In the early game (I'm still on G&K, maybe it's different in BNW), I always sell my embassy for what I can get and rarely place an embassy in another civ's captial until later in the game when 25 :c5gold: doesn't mean so much. I used to do this just to generate early cash, but I also realized that it sets up an opportunity for a CS to give you a quest to discover the other civ's lands. Then it costs just 25 :c5gold: for 40 influence with the CS. Well worth it IMO.

I've also noticed that CIVs with whom I have a DOF won't offer RAs if I don't have an embassy in their capital. Makes sense, as an embassy is required for RAs.

Really? In a game as Polynesia/Terra/Huge, I made it my goal to forget about the continent I start out on and dominate a completely different one early on with the help of the wayfinding trait. Honolulu was captured, and I didn't exactly want Spain and/or the Huns (my enemies) finding out where the other continent - MY continent - was located, because then they would capture every last bit of it that they could, and they would destroy me.

So I refused all their requests for embassies. Wouldn't you say that's a valid situation?

How about if you are trying to found a religion and the Celts etc. don't know where you live? Otherwise expect to get flooded by missionaries...

Most people recommend selling your embassies right away for 1gpt.

Am I doing something wrong? I try to sell my embassy for 1gpt upon meeting the civ every time and no one has ever accepted. I play on epic speed if it makes any difference.

1 gpt on epic is too much. 1 gpt on standard is 30 gold (30 turns at 1gpt), but on epic is 45 gold -- too much to ask for an embassy.

Top Bottom