1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Emigration

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by killmeplease, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

Haven't read all the replies past the first few, but figured i'll answer this since it happened to me. Forgive me if its been addressed.

So i planted a new city and i got pushed to -1 unhappiness. During the time it took to build a colusseum i lost a few pops. The newly built city also lost its one and only pop. Did the city disappear? Nope... it showed 0 citizens. Opening the city screen confirmed that no people were working any tiles. The city grew back to size 1 from the food the city tile produced.

What i'm wondering now is... what if the city with 0 pop lost another pop... would it go -1? :D

2. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

steamaaps/common/sid meier's civ 5/assets/gameplay/XML/gameinfo/CIV5handicapInfos

open with notepad.

3. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

Excellent, thank you! I'll have a play around with the figures and teach those city spammers a lesson!:)

4. grzybek

grzybek The Mad Sciencist

This is an awsome mod idea - I love it and I will definetely try it out.

More - I think it should become a regular part of any BigMod/ModPacks :) Nevertheless I also have single suggestion.

Emmigration should only take place to the countries you have a Open Border treaty. I will simulate countries like North Korea - nobody can leave even though all would like to :)

5. Garett20

Garett20 Prince

Can I use it in my rise of Rome mod? I would give you a link but I don't have a thread for it yet.

6. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

This is a great Mod... very much looking forward to the next version.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there should be a way to shut this off in game. Perhaps if a city has been set to "Do not Grow" or something.

Currently it seems that I have no way of running a surpluss in Happines. Even if I turn off the Growth feature in my cities and set everyone to building happiness buildings, they still seem to be growing through immigration.

I love the idea of a delay in emigration so that my happiness counter doesn't keep jumping -1, 0, -2, 0, +1, 0

7. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Hi Killmeplease

Any ETA on the next version?

Great mod!

\Skodkim

8. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

v2 is available in the mod browser

9. killmeplease

yeah of course you can use it

10. KeyCey1995

KeyCey1995 Chieftain

Really nice idea you've come up with!

Now I can't play a game without it...:D

11. Perkus

Perkus Prince

I don't see myself using this mod unless it came with built-in appropriate reductions to the AI's happiness handicap. With vanilla handicaps, in my experiences the player is almost always by far the least happy civ. So I would expect to never gain any immigrants, but suffer whenever my happiness dips below 0, which (again in experience) is extremely common in the game. It would essentially force me to play as if Happiness 0 is the lowest reasonable happiness, rather than -9 as it is now. So that's like being deprived of almost two full luxury resources in every game! As such, this becomes more of a substantial difficulty increase mod, rather than an interesting addition.

12. killmeplease

AI is so happy because it likes to build happiness buildings much.
    Even with this and AI's handicaps, it is not very uncommon to see unhappy AI (i am playing on emperor level for most) as it can become unhappy after a big war resulting in puppeting many cities.

i am also planning to make happiness more dynamic (with war casualities, starvation, deficit etc affecting it) with next versions of the mod (or rather in the revolutions mod i'm about to start working on and where emigration will be included but its effect be reduced of course as there will be some other consequences for being unhappy)

13. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

One mechanic I'd like to see added to happiness/unhappines: Dark Ages. Essentially the reverse of golden ages, penalizing you for remaining in unhappiness for long periods of time (still possible with Emigration 2.0 with garrisons and so on).

14. killmeplease

yeah the Dark Age is a quite obvious opposite of GA. its being discussed in this thread

15. Valkrionn

I'll have to check out that thread, didn't know about it.

Though from the OP, I disagree with some of the effects... I'd prefer a tech loss to city razing, for example.

16. killmeplease

tech loss is very interesting idea
    i think the base effect of DA should be -1 to :c5gold: and :c5production: yields

and city razing is an idea emerged under lack of awareness of emigration modcomp imho :lol:

17. Valkrionn

Definitely. Some combination of reduced yields, gradual tech loss (as in, loss of beakers each turn, over the course of the Dark Age possibly losing multiple techs), no tech progress (as in, only backwards movement on techs during a dark age, no opportunity to offset losses), and improvements having a chance to fall into ruin. Dark Ages would be the result of long periods of unhappiness (or hell, just stagnation, even; low happiness with no positive growth could lead to dark ages as well), with emigration the result of shorter term unhappiness.

18. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

Sounds great! I'm really looking foward to it.

19. Lilltiger

Lilltiger Chieftain

If you want the Dark Age to reflect the real Dark Ages in European history it should not cause all thoes negative effects.
    Insted it should be an option to trigger it manually when your people are unhappy. (But once triggered you cant stop it manually).
    The effects of the darkage would be that it negates the unhappiness (set happyness to 0) tech will be slowed down alot, but you will get a cultural bonus. And you should gain like 4 culture points for evry enemy unit you kill.
    Because during the real Dark Ages the culture was flooding and the people was not unhappy and there was no increase in starvation.

So the Dark Age would be a way to buy time to fix the unhappyness issues, but at the cost of technology advances. And as it sets happyness to 0 you are free to anex the cities and wage alot of war to gain the luxery you need.
    But if the issues isent fixed when the Dark Age is over your empire will collaps and fall into ruins, the people will migrate etc.

20. Valkrionn

Not really. The initial effects were a loss of technology (rather, non-military tech; They even made a few ADVANCEMENTS with regards to siege) and decrease in culture, followed by first a gradual increase in both, and then a large leap when they rediscovered the knowledge of the Greeks and Romans.

The majority of people would have been incredibly unhappy during the dark ages, as the majority would have been serfs who were essentially slaves.