Emigration

Minor bug, you didn't check to make sure the city losing the population was greater than 1. You could be killing cities.

Haven't read all the replies past the first few, but figured i'll answer this since it happened to me. Forgive me if its been addressed.

So i planted a new city and i got pushed to -1 unhappiness. During the time it took to build a colusseum i lost a few pops. The newly built city also lost its one and only pop. Did the city disappear? Nope... it showed 0 citizens. Opening the city screen confirmed that no people were working any tiles. The city grew back to size 1 from the food the city tile produced.

What i'm wondering now is... what if the city with 0 pop lost another pop... would it go -1? :D

I play on Prince, which I understand to be the most balanced, but I'm always at the bottom of the "civs that smile the most" table when it pops up. The civs at the top of the table are always around 40 to 50 happiness and I just don't understand how they can get so high and so quickly when they don't even have that many luxury resources!

Where is this handicaps xml file you mentioned? I'd like to take a look at it and try and change mine around.

I still see civs spamming cities and not building trade routes etc and just not playing the game properly, so I'd really like to bring their happiness into line so that they just can't get away with doing that!
steamaaps/common/sid meier's civ 5/assets/gameplay/XML/gameinfo/CIV5handicapInfos

open with notepad.

This is an awsome mod idea - I love it and I will definetely try it out.

More - I think it should become a regular part of any BigMod/ModPacks :) Nevertheless I also have single suggestion.

Emmigration should only take place to the countries you have a Open Border treaty. I will simulate countries like North Korea - nobody can leave even though all would like to :)

This is a great Mod... very much looking forward to the next version.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there should be a way to shut this off in game. Perhaps if a city has been set to "Do not Grow" or something.

Currently it seems that I have no way of running a surpluss in Happines. Even if I turn off the Growth feature in my cities and set everyone to building happiness buildings, they still seem to be growing through immigration.

I love the idea of a delay in emigration so that my happiness counter doesn't keep jumping -1, 0, -2, 0, +1, 0

I don't see myself using this mod unless it came with built-in appropriate reductions to the AI's happiness handicap. With vanilla handicaps, in my experiences the player is almost always by far the least happy civ. So I would expect to never gain any immigrants, but suffer whenever my happiness dips below 0, which (again in experience) is extremely common in the game. It would essentially force me to play as if Happiness 0 is the lowest reasonable happiness, rather than -9 as it is now. So that's like being deprived of almost two full luxury resources in every game! As such, this becomes more of a substantial difficulty increase mod, rather than an interesting addition.

AI is so happy because it likes to build happiness buildings much.
Even with this and AI's handicaps, it is not very uncommon to see unhappy AI (i am playing on emperor level for most) as it can become unhappy after a big war resulting in puppeting many cities.

i am also planning to make happiness more dynamic (with war casualities, starvation, deficit etc affecting it) with next versions of the mod (or rather in the revolutions mod i'm about to start working on and where emigration will be included but its effect be reduced of course as there will be some other consequences for being unhappy)

One mechanic I'd like to see added to happiness/unhappines: Dark Ages. Essentially the reverse of golden ages, penalizing you for remaining in unhappiness for long periods of time (still possible with Emigration 2.0 with garrisons and so on).

yeah the Dark Age is a quite obvious opposite of GA. its being discussed in this thread

Though from the OP, I disagree with some of the effects... I'd prefer a tech loss to city razing, for example.

tech loss is very interesting idea
i think the base effect of DA should be -1 to :c5gold: and :c5production: yields

and city razing is an idea emerged under lack of awareness of emigration modcomp imho :lol:

Definitely. Some combination of reduced yields, gradual tech loss (as in, loss of beakers each turn, over the course of the Dark Age possibly losing multiple techs), no tech progress (as in, only backwards movement on techs during a dark age, no opportunity to offset losses), and improvements having a chance to fall into ruin. Dark Ages would be the result of long periods of unhappiness (or hell, just stagnation, even; low happiness with no positive growth could lead to dark ages as well), with emigration the result of shorter term unhappiness.

i am also planning to make happiness more dynamic (with war casualities, starvation, deficit etc affecting it) with next versions of the mod (or rather in the revolutions mod i'm about to start working on and where emigration will be included but its effect be reduced of course as there will be some other consequences for being unhappy)

Sounds great! I'm really looking foward to it.

If you want the Dark Age to reflect the real Dark Ages in European history it should not cause all thoes negative effects.
Insted it should be an option to trigger it manually when your people are unhappy. (But once triggered you cant stop it manually).
The effects of the darkage would be that it negates the unhappiness (set happyness to 0) tech will be slowed down alot, but you will get a cultural bonus. And you should gain like 4 culture points for evry enemy unit you kill.
Because during the real Dark Ages the culture was flooding and the people was not unhappy and there was no increase in starvation.

So the Dark Age would be a way to buy time to fix the unhappyness issues, but at the cost of technology advances. And as it sets happyness to 0 you are free to anex the cities and wage alot of war to gain the luxery you need.
But if the issues isent fixed when the Dark Age is over your empire will collaps and fall into ruins, the people will migrate etc.

Not really. The initial effects were a loss of technology (rather, non-military tech; They even made a few ADVANCEMENTS with regards to siege) and decrease in culture, followed by first a gradual increase in both, and then a large leap when they rediscovered the knowledge of the Greeks and Romans.

The majority of people would have been incredibly unhappy during the dark ages, as the majority would have been serfs who were essentially slaves.

Top Bottom