Encouraging More Bug Squashing and Followup

rightfuture

Emperor
When it comes to Bug Squashing and Following up I think a few things need to be said overall:

I think responding to bug reports is very important,
It is vital to the health and progress of Caveman2Cosmos to highlight what needs fixed and what we overlook.

The C2C Mod Team and Community do a great job of giving bugs attention - when they can. Please do what you can to help!

It takes time (and help) to figure these things out.
I don't think any of us can truly appreciate the depth and time it took to troubleshoot, identify, fix, and improve the simply staggering amount of things done (and to-do here) in C2C. This is the largest and most comprehensive Civ mod to date, and we want to keep it moving and improving!

The modders have to prioritize and choose what to work on, so let's help bug squashing be part of the improvement, not a distraction of moving C2C forward.

It is an ongoing battle to respond and follow up with all comments here, as most of the Mod-Team is playtesting, building new content, and managing RL -Real Life most of the time. We want to encourage them to want to fix and improve things, but there are limits.
Sometimes the best thing to do is to figure out what we can do ourselves.
We all need to do what we can to help them make the best game possible!

Sometimes the modders just have to get around to fixing things,
A bug fix may be part of a future reworking, it may be immediately less important, or it may be overlooked, it may even be intended as a best at-the-moment solution.
We can't agree on everything, but we can find a way to agree on most things.

Let's do our best to be part of the solution,
and if anyone wants something fixed/improved,
We want to know,
we just need your help to catch them, pin them down, and explore them,
the best way we all can.

Please be patient, but vocal,
try to help out by offering solutions/improvements,
and keep caring - your attention and discussion is what brings improvement to life!

Let's all do our part to keep Caveman2Cosmos moving and improving!

(Hydro -you beat me to it!)
List of Solutions for improving bug identifying and squashing process:

1. Caring - the more we care about something, the more we give it attention.
2. Organizing - We need to remember to keep a regular eye on this thread.
Because bug-squashing happens whenever the opportunity or a solution present themselves, we all need to remember to keep up with the thread. We could use some better followup, listing, and prioritizing here.
3. Encouraging help.
Ultimately the solution will be partially/mostly left to us, because the mod team only has so much time, ability to follow up. We can only do so much by ourselves, and the ModTeam is focused more on moving forward.

Bug Squashing is part of every week maintenance and business, to neglect it is to undermine the stability of gameplay, to let it become a distraction is to keep C2C from moving forward.
I have years of amateur programming experience, and I know how bugs are just part of the fabric of modding and creating. It is always an ongoing process. Every time we introduce changes or new features, we can introduce or tweak new bugs, or aggravate old ones. We don't want to ignore them, but we also don't want them to take over the majority of our time, so we can focus on improvement. It is a matter of improving how we handle it.

I think the more we encourage more discussion, followup, apprenticeship, and community involvement, then the more we can get more done, and free the creative process so we can focus on what we love to do, explore ideas. If we can focus, organize, and collaborate enough, we can get moving even more than we already do.
We simply get more of what we encourage and give our attention to.

You don't need to be a modder to help us figure out how to solve a problem, sometimes just talking about it is enough. Sometimes when we have enough discussion, any of us stumble on a solution for an issue, that solves problems we didn't know we had.

A lot of problem solving and modding, is just learning how to edit and play around with things, goes much faster when you have a teammate, from getting bogged down. I suggest we all partner up a little more , and help free each other up.
Then we can all be empowered to do what we can, with less distraction.

It would be nice to catch some 1st year programmers. By talking about this is school/gaming forums and the like. (I also need to do something about that) :)

Welcome SargonTheGreat2 and Faustmouse!!!!!
(Sargon you inspired this thread!)

It is all an ongoing learning process, never be discouraged, and feel free to chat me up anytime!
Please don't forget to look for apprentices and partners of your own, if we build up the community, we help free the ModTeam to greatness!

Pioneer onward!!!!

@Hydro(shouldn't we make an apprenticeship thread?)

Top Bottom