Endgame Tedium–My Experience

Diplomatic Victories have always felt cheap in Civ games, and they still feel cheap in BNW. It's back to being an economic victory, and I'm not sure how the devs will ever make it feel satisfying, because it hasn't felt like an earned victory since it was introduced (Civ III).
Personally, I find the new cultural victory more interesting, but now the space race feels kind of boring. Oh well.

I really enjoyed cIV's diplo victory(The UN not the AP mind you) because it actually relied gaining the approval of sensible leaders(either that or vassaling them and forcing their hand). And I really didn't have any issues with the diplo in G&K. Sure, it was mostly economic, but you had to complete CS quests and leaders couldn't vote for themselves.

Diplomatic Victories have always felt cheap in Civ games, and they still feel cheap in BNW. It's back to being an economic victory, and I'm not sure how the devs will ever make it feel satisfying, because it hasn't felt like an earned victory since it was introduced (Civ III).
Personally, I find the new cultural victory more interesting, but now the space race feels kind of boring. Oh well.

I'm not sure how it's "back to being an economic victory" - that was a (then oversimplified) criticism based on being able to buy city-states, however as of BNW you can have all the city-states as allies and still not have enough votes to win (for instance, on a Huge map 37 votes were required for diplo victory - not sure what the "full" number is, since Morocco was gone and so I think were some CSes), but there are only 24 city-states on a map this size. There isn't a way I'm aware of to have 13 delegates by yourself plus city-states, so you do indeed genuinely need diplomacy. Plus on those kinds of map you don't have a chance of buying every CS, you'll need to focus much more on quests.

Or do you simply mean that the only way to win is by bribing the other civs to vote for you? If so, agreed, but then this was true in all Civ games with diplo victory. The Congress system seems fine, but the AI sadly needs a lot of work. Game-long relationships simply don't seem to factor into AI voting decisions at all, which is crippling and wholly at odds with the 'feel' of a diplomatic victory. A civ that's been a game-long friend is no more likely to want you to win than one that hates you, or to offer to vote for you on better terms. Ditto for other resolutions - if they don't want your religion/ideology to be the "World" one, game-long relationships will count for nothing. This did happen in the older Civ games, but not to anything like the extent it seems to in Civ V, and in Civ IV this criticism only really applied to world leader elections (when all but the best friends would abstain unless bribed); UN voting tended to make sense in relation to existing relationshops.

As for cultural victory, while I'm quite enjoying my first serious attempt to play the culture game, the new system is more interesting to me for its interactions with ideology and happiness. The actual victory is more static and linear than the one it replaces - very limited ways to turn out the right GPs, having certain Wonders with theme bonuses is basically essential, and all that's ever really going to vary much between games is how often you use concert tours and against whom, since that will depend on the rival's cultural output.

I'm not sure how it's "back to being an economic victory" - that was a (then oversimplified) criticism based on being able to buy city-states, however as of BNW you can have all the city-states as allies and still not have enough votes to win (for instance, on a Huge map 37 votes were required for diplo victory - not sure what the "full" number is, since Morocco was gone and so I think were some CSes), but there are only 24 city-states on a map this size. There isn't a way I'm aware of to have 13 delegates by yourself plus city-states, so you do indeed genuinely need diplomacy. Plus on those kinds of map you don't have a chance of buying every CS, you'll need to focus much more on quests.

If I'm not mistaken, you receive 2 delegates for each city-state ally in the Information age (or once 3 civs hit atomic), so 24 cs allies would be 48 delegates, more than enough to win. I did win by buying up all the city-states on a large map as Venice (trivial, was making 700-900 gpt late game).

And Gandhi wouldn't vote for me as world leader even if I offered him 9999 gold. We were long-time friends and shared an Ideology. Every single Civ would only vote for themself.

Yes, but it's no longer a matter of rushing to buy up city states at the last moment. There are long-term incremental steps you have to take to get the necessary votes.

Being host gets you extra delegates; Being in the running for inconclusive world leader elections gets you delegates for the next round, so there's a logical progression of working towards a goal.

Researching the Globalization tech is a good leg up as it gives you 1 extra delegate per diplomat you have. Again this is not tied to gold, but your research and generally how well your empire is doing.

As for weather it's really economic victory or not, It's much less tied to hitting a wonder, as the UN wonder is gone.

I find it's the best diplomatic victory in a game in ages. Much less cheap feeling than the old rush buy 5 City States 2 turns before election fighting for influence with another Civ and dumping gold like no tomorrow or Civ4's equally cheap feeling 1/2 population weighted votes for vassals which turned that into a dom-lite victory.

The BNW diplomatic victory (and yes I won my first game on it) feels really balanced. Yes, you probably need a good base of city-state allies backing you, and maybe 1 resurrected AI civ for good measure, but It's not so much economic victory, but a general victory. You have to do well in a number of areas to win it handily.

If I'm not mistaken, you receive 2 delegates for each city-state ally in the Information age (or once 3 civs hit atomic), so 24 cs allies would be 48 delegates, more than enough to win. I did win by buying up all the city-states on a large map as Venice (trivial, was making 700-900 gpt late game).

And Gandhi wouldn't vote for me as world leader even if I offered him 9999 gold. We were long-time friends and shared an Ideology. Every single Civ would only vote for themself.

That's disappointing - they should remove the second vote in that case so that you need both civs and CSes (which was usually required in G&K).

Harun did offer to vote for me when I tested the waters with him, however that was when that wouldn't have given me enough votes to win - maybe the AI refuses to deal only if it knows you'll win. If so the best approach would be to bribe multiple civs independently. Generally this was needed in the earlier games too, so I'm okay with that.

It surprises me that 700-900 per turn is even close to enough to buy the CSes - each gold gift to one CS reduces the influence gain with all CSes, and in my last game Babylon had such a tight grasp on most CSes that even getting 150 influence wasn't sufficient to guarantee alliance (I even had a 0% chance of a coup with, admittedly, a level 1 spy in Kuala Lumpur when I had over 120 influence). You may have been in an atypical game - possibly none of the other civs was going for diplo victory? If they are, bribing city-states is all but impossible because the AI gets bigger bribes and uses them actively. At least in G&K, AIs that weren't after diplo victory would also do their best to bribe CSes away or invade them if you looked likely to get a diplo victory.

The BNW diplomatic victory (and yes I won my first game on it) feels really balanced. Yes, you probably need a good base of city-state allies backing you, and maybe 1 resurrected AI civ for good measure, but It's not so much economic victory, but a general victory.

I was wondering if liberated civs still had to vote for you. I did try bribing Shaka to give me Marrakesh in my last game, so I could liberate it, but didn't have anything he wanted enough or an army large enough to prompt him to give into demands (by that point he was Freedom-loving and allied with all my friends, so declaring war on him was a definite no-no quite apart from being logistically unfeasible).

At least in my game, very few World Congress resolutions really felt momentous. Once the few early ones were done, like group projects and arts vs. science funding, it felt like selecting from a list of things I knew would never pass (World Religion) or things that I didn't care about at all. Maybe my game was unusual that way since it was relatively peaceful, which in turn may have been because I was on random and got archipelago. But WC just left me feeling a little empty. Especially when, for all the talk of improved diplo wins, I won by buying every CS on the map and winning while everyone else voted for him/herself. I tried brining Babylon to vote for me but to no avail, despite having over. 40,000 gold and 630 income to bribe with.

Despite the above I can't comment too authoritatively - so far I've had one duel map, which is a poor showcase and one full game in which I had a minority of delegates, so never got to propose resolutions (and often not to affect them, hence the ban on cloves passing).

In my current game I'm leading the delegate numbers (though narrowly missed out on founding the World Congress because the one clue I had regarding where the final unknown civ was hiding - that France had encountered it - had me hunting near Paris, which turned out to be in the wrong direction), so I've got to propose resolutions. I'm seeing more of an effect, however since the Congress wasn't founded until the 19th Century because the Swedes were hiding, we've only had one session. The second looks to be a challenge - I'm trying to push through Buddhism as the World Religion, a move opposed by half the world. I'm going to have to spam Prophets and do some serious diplomatic legwork to work with that; I have the most delegates, but not a majority by any means.

By the way, there seems to an issue with Arts vs. Science funding - in my last game both were enacted, however only the first (Arts) was counted, when surely the effects on GP generation should be a function of the combined effect of both?

Tourism, once I got the hang of it, also didn't feel like it was adding much meat to the game–more like empty calories. I got Archaeology and Exploration early, and quickly found myself with more useless beads than I knew what to do with. Pretty soon I was settling useless landmarks everywhere just to avoid running out of slots for works of art.

Yes, it's not great that you have to make the decision at that specific point, so you must park archaeologists until you're ready to use them. I'd like artifacts to have some feature distinguishing them from art (such as different outputs related to era or civ), particularly since landmarks scale with era. Also making the landmark a UI associated with a random feature of the landscape that's uncovered late is awkward. It would undoubtedly work better in games with more warfare in the early game, however since most sites seem to be associated with barbarian camps, by definition they're going to be outside any civ's borders, and quite often former camps are on the best city sites so that the ones that aren't outside your borders are under your cities, and so destroyed.

Also, there appears to be another bug - I can build archaeologists, but I can't buy them (no option to purchase at all, not just greyed out, and I can't see an option to do so even when I can buy any other civilian unit), and I can't see a reason this would be intentional (after all, you can buy Artists etc.)

The works trading system is really lackluster, and once I filled the Louvre and my Hermitage for their theming bonuses, I felt like new culture wins were a lot like the old ones. Just waiting for circles to fill up. Except the old way, as non-interactive as it was, at least gave me rewards. I'm talking from a strictly behaviorist perspective here. Getting a new policy and hearing the pen-scratch sound is a good reinforcement. The new way, AFAIK, doesn't really give me an incremental reward in the same way as I get closer to victory. It's just a binary "I've won or I haven't yet" system. Also the fact that another civ pursuing culture makes it so tedious hurts it a lot, although having interactivity in culture wins (past nuking then) is really good.

Fully agreed with this, but I think the game significance of the 'rewards' is deeper than behavioural psychology. Policies give you different rewards depending on which ones, and which trees, you select, and that can add variety to the way the game plays in a way a useless tourism resource can't.

The one thing I really did like, though, was the ideological blocs. While just basing ideologies off culture, effectively making them slightly more customizable trees, is a big disappointment, I loved how they influenced politics. I was first, getting Freedom, and then when my two closest allies Ethiopia and Carthage took Order and Autocracy respectively, we started drifting apart, becoming rivals. Ethiopia even sent a fleet after me I think, but rush-buying a fleet of WWI bombers and upgrading my Frigates to Battleships made him think better of it.

I love the political effects, but in my first game where I got to see it in action the effects were too binary - all the non-Freedom civs rapidly became rivals, and one an enemy. It seems to take very little account of other diplo modifiers built up during the game.

Another weakness is that it was basically outside my control in that game - I happened to choose the ideology that became dominant (actually when I chose it, Order was more common than Freedom), but the effects on other civs were driven by Persia's cultural influence rather than mine. There's nothing wrong with this conceptually, indeed it's somewhat reflective of reality (the Cold War success of capitalist democracy was driven by the fact that America had adopted it, not that Belgium had), but in a game context it means you're forced to play tourism heavily or have no control over the defining feature of late-game diplomacy, and this is not good.

Then later when my old rival Babylon took Freedom, we started patching up old rifts and ended the game with a DoF. That dynamic diplo experience was really rewarding.

Yes, it was great to see Shaka come in from the cold after his unpopular Order government was overthrown and he was forced to adopt Freedom.

Trade routes, while a great addition, also didn't feel like they were adding anything to the late game slide. Just another button to click again every 30 turns.

If you're the one pushing an ideology or trying to become influential, they're an important way to spread your influence. If you're not, they're not. I feel this is a big flaw with BNW - it seems to be forcing a playstyle that focuses too much on its sometimes restrictive new mechanics. If the tourism system was better-realised, with more varied ways to significantly increase your output, this would not be an issue - like religion it would be a mechanic that you should use, but that you can use to pursue a strategy in a number of different ways. Unfortunately this focus on tourism means that the failure to implement it well has negative knock-on effects on the rest of the game.

Anyways, I'vs seen nothing but praise for the endgame in BNW, so I wanted to put this out there for people to way in on. Is my experience unusual? Was there possibly something I missed, or maybe the map script tamped down on the game's ability to provide at the very end? What's your own experience been? Overall it was a great experience and I love the expansion, but I just didn't see where the late game love was coming from.

I don't think there can be any argument that BNW doesn't change the late game, or that there isn't more to do in the late game than there is in G&K, and the latter was the thrust of the expansion. I fully agree with you that the BNW mechanics are not brilliantly implemented - as a whole, to me the game feels less complete now than with G&K, with unfinished systems that make a third expansion more necessary than the second one was (if a third expansion can do for tourism what BNW did for religion or G&K to city-states, it would be well worth it) - but it does do quite a lot to make the end-game at least more varied, even if it does just mean pushing a couple of buttons every 30 turns they are at least different buttons.

That's disappointing - they should remove the second vote in that case so that you need both civs and CSes (which was usually required in G&K).

Harun did offer to vote for me when I tested the waters with him, however that was when that wouldn't have given me enough votes to win - maybe the AI refuses to deal only if it knows you'll win. If so the best approach would be to bribe multiple civs independently. Generally this was needed in the earlier games too, so I'm okay with that.

It surprises me that 700-900 per turn is even close to enough to buy the CSes - each gold gift to one CS reduces the influence gain with all CSes, and in my last game Babylon had such a tight grasp on most CSes that even getting 150 influence wasn't sufficient to guarantee alliance (I even had a 0% chance of a coup with, admittedly, a level 1 spy in Kuala Lumpur when I had over 120 influence). You may have been in an atypical game - possibly none of the other civs was going for diplo victory? If they are, bribing city-states is all but impossible because the AI gets bigger bribes and uses them actively. At least in G&K, AIs that weren't after diplo victory would also do their best to bribe CSes away or invade them if you looked likely to get a diplo victory.

I was wondering if liberated civs still had to vote for you. I did try bribing Shaka to give me Marrakesh in my last game, so I could liberate it, but didn't have anything he wanted enough or an army large enough to prompt him to give into demands (by that point he was Freedom-loving and allied with all my friends, so declaring war on him was a definite no-no quite apart from being logistically unfeasible).

Granted, it was only on King, as I was testing the waters with Venice. On the other hand, my early play was far from optimal and I'm certain I'll be able to do better next time--my capital was 10 pop lower than Poland's at one point, because I didn't discover how incredible using internal trade routes to ship my capital food was until later on. Eventually I beat out Poland's capital in pop using sea trade routes to ship my capital something like 30 food per turn, but I could have been doing that much earlier than I did, would've made up for the lack of wheat and only deer at the capital. My start was also pretty meh, with forests everywhere slowing early development, no river anywhere nearby (only 2 tiles were riverside in the whole 3 hex rings), a not-riverside, not-mountainside, coastal city with no sea resources surrounded by forests in grasslands. And that was Venice, my only "real" city.

I'm certain I wasn't the ONLY one going for a diplomatic victory, as 3 or 4 of the other civs had patronage policies and Greece was on the map. My main rival however was Poland, who had 3x my military yet instantly switched to "afraid" of me when I built my first nuke, which I never used. I did have some city-state battles for influence, which was somewhat uphill because my religion wasn't widespread, but I noticed the AI wasn't really using their spies to rig elections or do coups, which helped a lot. I suspect they may have been using them as diplomats instead? In any case my economy was far stronger than any of the AIs, and I did have the patronage policies to increase the effect of my gold gifts, and I did quests for them as often as I could. I should note that in addition to the very high GPT I was also full Commerce with boosted Merchants of Venice coming in very quickly, even from puppets, giving 6000 gold per pop in the later eras, plus buying them with faith. I'd say that gold-spamming is still definitely a viable strategy for obtaining a diplomatic victory, provided you can do it well.

Lyoncet, what difficulty level? If the AI is more active late game at higher difficulties,,then that would force us to work more, at least in theory.

I'm going to start playing a real game soon on immortal before I tell you guys 'I told you so'. :)

This was on Emperor. I can usually grind out victories on Immortal in G&K, but I hadn't played in months so I flipped it down one to learn the ropes for BNW. I'm doing one more victory on Emperor while I explore the features in more depth (Pangaea this time), and then I'll go back up to Immortal, probably on Small Continents (my favorite water/land balance script) and see how it goes.

On the subject of diplo wins, they honestly don't feel any different to me. If anything, it was easier. Like I said, I had over 40,000 gold and 630 gpt outside golden ages. No one even seemed willing to compete with me for city-states. I ended up with all of them as allies without even trying, on account of trade routes and Treaty Organization. (Not that I dislike TO; I think it's a really cool policy. Probably OP though). The only real difference in how the victory played out was that everybody voted for themselves (not that it mattered) and I got extra (unnecessary) delegates from diplomats because of Globalization.

It doesn't feel cheap to me anymore with the amount of quests there are to complete. Sure you're still going to be handing over money for alliances but that doesn't actually get you very far anymore especially with the new gold constraints. Last game I was stuck on an island forever with just 2 city states and some barbarians. By the time I got off the rock both city states were at over 150 influence just from doing quests and killing barbs.

The AI should NEVER vote World Religion or World Ideology that is not their own.

I don't actually agree with this. The AI should have some ability to see which way the wind is blowing, and factor that into their decision. Just because you founded Catholicism in X BC, you shouldn't automatically be opposed to the widespread Hindu faith in the 21st Century. In fact what you should do is get behind it and then help it spread to your cities. If your religion has no hope of becoming the World Religion, it's senseless to stick with it. Ditto with ideology - switching may be painful, but if you're on the losing side it's less painful than the alternative of civil unrest, possible revolution, losing cities, and aggression from civs with a widespread ideology and more allies.

Of course you'll already have recognised that the AI doesn't do any of this - it will help you vote for your religion, and then resolutely object to anyone spreading the world religion to them. It will stick to its ideology until revolution forces it to change even if the World Ideology is set against it.

Simply put, it's fine for the AI to vote for your religion or ideology (or any other measure) - but what is not fine is for its gameplay behaviour to be wholly unaffected by the resolutions in place. This seems to characterise the whole system; the World Congress is its own mini-game apparently almost wholly divorced from all other elements of gameplay (including, to a large extent, diplomacy).

Simply put, it's fine for the AI to vote for your religion or ideology (or any other measure) - but what is not fine is for its gameplay behaviour to be wholly unaffected by the resolutions in place. This seems to characterise the whole system; the World Congress is its own mini-game apparently almost wholly divorced from all other elements of gameplay (including, to a large extent, diplomacy).

Very well put. This was bugging me quite a bit, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

On end-game tedium: I still feel it, though I agree with general consensus that it is much reduced with things to do in late game other than wage war.

The one thing that causes me to loose interest is the ease of mapping the whole world. Often I have a whole continent cluster (Asia/Europe/Africa size) explored and fully known long before 1 AD. The rest of the world is similarly known shortly after I build one or two caravels. My interest in the game would be much extended if there was an actual Age of Exploration that was at least a little challenging. (Stopping map trading was a huge help here, but I still know the whole starting continent long before 1 AD.)

Yes, but it's no longer a matter of rushing to buy up city states at the last moment. There are long-term incremental steps you have to take to get the necessary votes.

Being host gets you extra delegates; Being in the running for inconclusive world leader elections gets you delegates for the next round, so there's a logical progression of working towards a goal.

Researching the Globalization tech is a good leg up as it gives you 1 extra delegate per diplomat you have. Again this is not tied to gold, but your research and generally how well your empire is doing.

The BNW diplomatic victory (and yes I won my first game on it) feels really balanced. Yes, you probably need a good base of city-state allies backing you, and maybe 1 resurrected AI civ for good measure, but It's not so much economic victory, but a general victory. You have to do well in a number of areas to win it handily.

You get to be the host by: Buying up city states (all civs will always vote for themselves).

You get to enact world religion or world ideology by: Buying up city states (or, buying up major civs, who charge you based on how friendly they are.... but even arch enemies can be bought with something like 2000 worth of gold... which is the equivalent of two city state alliances... which is also how many votes you can buy from the civs... which basically make them city state-prices if you absolutely screw up diplomacy, as long as you are not at war).

You get to build the Forbidden Palace by: Opening up Patronage, an entire tree of things that only affect city states.

Am I missing anything else? What's the logical progression here? You start with a lot of city state allies, get more city state allies, get all the city state allies, then win? =/ Yayyyyyyy. Logic.

That's fine and all, but TRUE diplomacy with major civs serve ABSOLUTELY zero purpose in the Diplomatic victory now, so long as you can get them to not declare war on you. They don't even have to like you for you to send a diplomat over to get the globalization bonus. The AI liking you vs hating you makes zero difference to winning the DIPLOMATIC victory. Come on, that's like the science victory unlocking spaceship parts in the medieval era that take 200+ turns to build. At that point, it's no longer a science victory, but a production victory. The diplomatic victory right now is NOT a diplomatic victory, it is a pure pure CITY-STATE victory (although, the quests and Autocracy/Freedom tenants do give you different ways to get influence besides pure gold; still not diplomatic).

All of that is just the illusion that it's not about buying up the city states... but it is. It is still about buying up the city states... you just now have to buy them up a couple of times throughout the game, instead of all at the end. But, it's really retains all of the problems from G&K, while getting rid of G&K's one saving grace, that real diplomacy mattered because the AI (and you) could not vote for themselves (yourself), and so you actually got a benefit from DIPLOMACY.

::bitterly continues to mumble to himself in public::

I really hope culture is more fun. In G&K, culture was so bad, I switched to Diplomatic victory because it was the most fun (to get these seemingly arbitrary, but actually fairly consistent AIs to like me). Now, BNW killed the diplo victory, I really hope my experience with a culture victory isn't as bad as the OP's. :sad:

So far I proposed to make Orthodoxy a world religion, since I made it the dominant one. OFC all converted civs voted pro for it and now ALL of us are having 3 delegates in the world council... Still I think I get a tourism bonus anyway.

Russia is a bit annoyed at me cause they have the second strongest.

Edit: Cultural victory got more complicated for sure, but in reality its a tourism victory now. The actual cultural output is gross. 1/10th of what it was, and I cant say that you have any hope of getting any meaningful number of Policies without guilds and Aesthetics.
Barring civs with UB, UI that generate culture that is.

Poland OFC has it better than most.

Top Bottom