[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Here is a recap of the games in the Enjoyable Deity Games Experience (EDGE) series so far in 2020, (games from last year are listed on page 9 of this thread):
42. the Mayans 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Piety challenge
43. Siam (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Patronage partial challenge
44. the Shoshone 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
45. Poland 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Honor challenge
46. the Netherlands (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Liberty challenge
47. the Aztecs 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
48. the Celts (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
49. the Zulus (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge
50. Austria (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
51. Persia (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
52. the Ottomans (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
53. Rome (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
54. Songhai (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
55. the Incas (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
56. Russia 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
57. India 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge
58. Germany 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
59. Byzantium 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
60. the Iroquois (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge
61. America 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
62. Sweden 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Petra challenge
63. Morocco 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial Commerce challenge
64. England 3 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial UN challenge
65. Portugal 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial elimination challenge
66. Egypt 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
67. Polynesia 3 (Archipelago, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
68. Sweden 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
69. Germany 4 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Large size, Unmodded), War academy, part 1, DomV challenge
70. the Huns 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 2
71. Spain 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Huge size, Unmodded)
72. Denmark 2 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used)
73. Venice 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DipV challenge
74. Carthage 3 (Hellblazer´s Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Hellblazer´s map script), CV challenge
75. China 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 3, DomV challenge
76. Mongolia 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 4
77. Brazil 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
78. the Shoshone 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
79. Assyria 2 (Terra Incognita, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used)
80. Indonesia 2 (Small Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), No Liberty challenge
81. Portugal 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
82. Japan 2 (Ice Age, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), No Order challenge
83. Persia 2 (Random map, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
84. the Netherlands 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
85. Denmark 3 (Tiny Islands, Standard speed, Large size, Raging Barbarians, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used)
86. America 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded), No Tradition challenge
87. the Incas 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
88. Korea 4 (Pangaea, Quick speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
89. the Ottomans 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded)
90. Arabia 2 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)

Spoiler Edge 72 Denmark talk :
You did not get a warmonger for killing off Sweden. Your “friends” DOW'd you because you did not have enough units. I think you should go back to T150 (or maybe a little earlier) and build nothing but the UU until you have at least six of them. Turtle until you unlock Astronomy and get 4 move while embarked. My guess is that it’s Songhai who has it out for you, and he asked Theodora or Enrico to join him with DOWing you (and since your military was so weak, they agreed).
Yes, I think it definitely was Songhai who asked Venice to join in the DoW. It happened the turn after Songhai and Venice signed a peace treaty. Can a DoW on someone be a part of a peace treaty? Maybe that's what happened. Theodora declared a few turns later.

Liberating Sydney may have been a positive modifier but I think I did get the warmonger penalty for killing Sweden. I had a negative red warmongering penalty with Theodora on the diplomacy screen. - Unless, can you get the warmongering penalty for simply being at war, for example if someone declares war on you? I thought you had to be the one to DoW on someone or take a city to get it. I wish there was a way to know exactly what diplo modifiers you have, something that shows the numbers.

At the time Venice and Songhai joint DoW me I had a decent amount of units; about 8 berzerkers, 3 or 4 Xbow, a treb, horseman. I was about to attack Shaka actually.

Well regardless, I'm never going to let Enrico and Theodora slide again. They're both in Edge 85 and Enrico is right next door, he'll be the first to go.

Edge 72, Denmark. Lost T198 by total destruction.

Comparing my map to yours Nizef, I should have built Kaupang where you did, it would have been much more defensible but I got greedy and wanted that second fur and cows. I might have been able to hold off Venice but I still would have lost when Byzantium attacked; she had such an overwhelming force.

It is is always a trade off, but in this case I never even considered any other location, because I wanted to run internal cargo ships between Copenhagen and Kaupang.

EDGE#89: All that land, part 2
Welcome to the "midsummer special". This one has a great map that makes it possible to expand. However, there are not so many unique luxuries. Anyway, you have a lot of land that rightfully is yours. The task is to play as the Ottomans on an unmodded Continents map with Large size and Standard speed.
Playing this on now. Warrior to hill then SIP. Aiming for 2 city Liberty NC, then fill up the starting content. Get the UU and cannons online, see what I can do. T75 at the moment, and Wonders are going very fast. Someone enhanced early, so no Pantheon for me. That made me desperate enough to open Piety. It is a total crock that Liberty finisher cannot be used for GPr unless you have a pantheon. If I miss the last religion, I will rage quit and try running a Piety game. I have not tried that in quite a while!
It happened the turn after Songhai and Venice signed a peace treaty. Can a DoW on someone be a part of a peace treaty?
No. But the AI are quite likely to DOW you the turn after a peace deal ends. That turn you needed to get Songhai to DOW Theodora.
Liberating Sydney may have been a positive modifier but I think I did get the warmonger penalty for killing Sweden.
You did not. Taking a city has a single effect. Liberating Sydney significantly reduced your Warmonger score. But did you capture other Swedish cities?
I had a negative red warmongering penalty with Theodora on the diplomacy screen.
Well, you definitely want to try and figure out where that is coming from! Did you take workers from a CS?
Unless, can you get the warmongering penalty for simply being at war, for example if someone declares war on you? I thought you had to be the one to DoW on someone or take a city to get it.
You get warmonger penalty from DOWs and taking cities. That is it.
I wish there was a way to know exactly what diplo modifiers you have, something that shows the numbers.
I agree with you there! Seems like someone should have a mod for that already!
At the time Venice and Songhai joint DoW me I had a decent amount of units; about 8 berzerkers, 3 or 4 Xbow, a treb, horseman.
Okay, cool. That is plenty of units! I was just reacting to what I though I saw in the T150 screen shot. If it were me, I would reload back to a few turns before the DOW, pull my army home, and see if could not weather the first several turns of the DOW without losing a city.

Edit: Attaching a screenshot from my T097. @raider980 I am sorry to say that I think your big problem was poor choices for two of your expos. Your Kaupang is too exposed and too far away. I am not seeing a forth expo, is that correct? The tundra to the south is fine. It has a sheep, a couple deer, and a river.
civ5ss-edge72-denmark-t097.jpg

Last edited:
EDGE#91: Gold & Silver (Pantheon challenge)
Here I was thinking that we should go for a pantheon challenge, so the one rule you have to follow is that you have to take Religious Idols as your pantheon. I don´t think that you will disagree with me much on this! Anyway, the task is to play as Ethiopia on an unmodded Pangaea map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. If you do not like that the map offers surprises, then this is maybe not for you. However, I am sure that most of us will fall for this highly surprising (and sometimes annoying) map. As a bonus task, in your after game report, you should write on which turn you met Cape Town. I also added some more pictures for you to compare (t104 and at the finish on t303). I hope you like them. The starting position is very nice and you can decide for yourself, if you want a capital with an observatory or not, obviously you need to waste one turn if you go for that. I chose Egypt, Morocco and Songhai as opponents to get a more "african" flavour to the game. All in all I had a smooth journey and I hope you also will. Enjoy!

I played according to HOF rules and also submitted my win. There is a short recap of my game behind the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settled t1 on the Silver and Stele-Scout-Granary-Settler-Worker-Settlerx2. I stole one worker and a settler from Austria and one worker from Cahokia. 4 city NC on t91 and Education on t114. I also built Borobudur early on to further enhance the spread of my religion. The start was on the slow side, but I figured that I will be allright. Third religion with Religious Idols/Tithe/Pagodas/Choral Music/IP. Steles in combination with Religious Idols and Mandate of Heaven was a crazy combination. Askia came to visit very early, but I had CBs (I researched it as soon as I found his capital) on repelled the attack easily. I also started to do all quests for Antwerp and they stayed as my ally throughout the game.

Even if I was late to Renaissance, I still managed to build LToP. However all the cultural Wonders (Sistine, Uffizi and GlobeT) went too fast for me. I saved the GE and rushed Louvre with it. I didn´t play the most optimal moves. Instead I wanted more action and new routes. Thus I built up an army and took Gao on approx. t150-160 and I took a city to the north as part of the peace deal. Babylon took the last two cities and Askia was out of the game. Rome was (as usually) very strong and they demolished Egypt. Ramesses stayed alive to the end with two ice&tundra cities but he was pretty much out of it. I was third to Industrial, had no Coal but allied myself with Quebec City fo get some. I was second to pick an Ideology and went Order. Rome had already chosen Authocracy. Morocco and France also join the Order club. Around that time Babylon attacked me. My army was in decent shape and I easily repelled the attack (Antwerp and Quebec were both very helpful to repel it). I researched Dynamite, countered and took Jenne as a seventh city. I was down to two friends but it didn´t matter because Morocco was a very reliable partner to the end of times. However, I had one problem: I was late to Archeology and didn´t get as many AS as I would have liked. This crippled my hopes for a CV.

In the endgame, I tried to optimize just a little bit because I was quite late to Plastics (approx t235-240). Even if I screwed up the Rationalism finisher, I won a comfortable SV on t303. On t302 I declared war on Babylon and took their pop47 capital in the next turn before launching. Two nukes, three Rocket Artilleries, six Bombers and a Jet Fighter combined with 3-4 XComs was a surprise Nebuchadnessar was not prepared for. Rome beat France badly but they had the geography against them and they never became more than a regional power. My religion was the majority religion in appox 20 cities at the end. SP: Piety 2, full Tradition, Aestethics opener, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Order 6.

Attachments

• edge91ethiopia2.jpg
    edge91ethiopia2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 160
  • PDSHaile_Ini_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    958.1 KB · Views: 124
  • edge91turn104.jpg
    edge91turn104.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 157
  • edge91turn303win.jpg
    edge91turn303win.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 175
EDG83 Turn 303 Loss. This was either my most favorite or least favorite game I've played in some time, not really sure.

Spoiler :
So I had already built my 2nd scout before I realized what the map was. Never played on that map before, so it was all a surprise. Beelined Optics at that point, which I never do. This helped/hurt me. Built 3 city tradition, the spots were really good and the cities ended up with pops of 25-33 each. Ended up building a ton of ships, which saved me as Carthage attacked around turh 65 or so. We stayed at war for over 150 turns. It was fun, but quite annoying. The way the water is layed out, she couldnt really threaten me, so my galleas just played target practice, and the 4 that survived had Ballistics before I even got Frigates. They all survived to the end, and had virtually every promotion available. They were sick as Battleships.

Problem was I fell behind on science. I was generating good faith as I had opened the pearls/gems pantheon, but missed out on the last religion. I think it was part turn 200 before a religion even made it to my lands, and by then, it wasnt worth buying whatever buildings i had available with faith. Unfortunately, while Dido and I played wargames (she would not allow peace, I tried, so I just kept promoting ships) Ghandi and Pacal built up. Ghandi's culture was crazy, he had dominated everyone but Pacal, who was barely holding off influential. They were also in a space race. I was 3rd, but far enough behind I didnt think I had a chance. I was about 20-22 turns away from the 3rd tier freedom policy to but spaceship parts, and with GS's I would have been close to getting the last policy around then, so I was looking at a turn 325-330 SV at best when Ghandi launched.

Usually I'd try a replay, but I think map knowledge will be really helpful here, so it might feel like cheating. We'll see.

EDG83 Turn 303 Loss. This was either my most favorite or least favorite game I've played in some time, not really sure.

I am glad you tried it. As you experienced yourself, it is a tough nut to crack. I rarely use the map template in question, but I thought that it will add diversity to the EDGE series. I am not sure what I could have done better myself. Probably I should have gone for a well focused SV from the get go, but that seems a little pointless because I want to enjoy the ride while it lasts. Overtaking Gandhi´s culture was perhaps too optimistic with only 3-4 cities. Did you consider conquering any of the nearby CS?

Started #91

Spoiler :
Played to T108. Found Cape Town on turn 105.

5-city Tradition. Stole 3 or 4 workers from Askia and a couple from Antwerp. Gifted an excess lux to Austria to secure a DoF before I'd get the reckless expansion diplo hit. I tried the same with Babylon but he didn't want to be friends. No problem, I DoWed him around T95 and bribed Askia to help me as well. Didn't have enough firepower to take the capital and Askia didn't do anything unfortunately, but I got some gold from pillaging trade routes and tiles, plus ~30 gpt in the peace deal. And a DoF with Songhai.

Lost Oracle, Borobudur and HS. Egypt's sniping all the wonders and so far I haven't been able to get anyone to attack Ramesses.

T92 NC, and this will be a T110 Education with detours for Optics and Engineering as I needed an Aqueduct in my 5th city and an extra Cargo Ship. I'm thinking Artillery rush here, I don't see this being a particularly strong science or culture game.

20200707203358_1.jpg

EDGE#91: Gold & Silver (Pantheon challenge)
Hmmm, this looks like one I want to try. I'll move the warrior to the gold tile to see what's on the other side. Maybe it'll help me decide whether to settle on the silver or gold. I'm leaning toward the silver to be closer to the cows. I'm playing Edge#5 now but will try this one when I finish.

I am sorry to say that I think your big problem was poor choices for two of your expos. Your Kaupang is too exposed and too far away. I am not seeing a forth expo, is that correct?
Yep, Kaupang is bad, I got greedy for the extra luxes.
Spoiler Spoiler for Edge72 and Edge5 :
Plus, I never figured Venice would attack me that early, I don't ever remember him building that large of an army so quickly. But I got my revenge; Enrico is my nearest neighbor in Edge#5 and I stopped his first Merchant and killed him with CompBows.
And I don't have a fourth city; although I should have buillt it down in the Tundra for sure - although the spot I was eyeing was bad too; just like Kaupang I wanted to get greedy and get a second lux that is to the west so I would have built another exposed city.

Spoiler Opponent spoiler :
I may play this one again but if I do I'm killing Theodora first. Her capital is in a good location to attack as Denmark.

Last edited:
Hmmm, this looks like one I want to try. I'll move the warrior to the gold tile to see what's on the other side. Maybe it'll help me decide whether to settle on the silver or gold. I'm leaning toward the silver to be closer to the cows. I'm playing Edge#5 now but will try this one when I finish.

I am delighted that you chose to try out EDGE#5. The start is of course crazy, but Theodora is not the easiest to play as and having a smooth game with her is quite rare. I also liked the map very much.

As a sidenote, in EDGE#72 I opted against going for the light blue neighbour early. I chose to keep them as a buffer against Shaka until I felt comfortable that I could handle him. A fourth city on the tundra to the S is actually a very good location: there is an unique luxury and rightly placed it will pick up Aluminium and Iron as well.

EDGE#89: All that land, part 2
Welcome to the "midsummer special". This one has a great map that makes it possible to expand. However, there are not so many unique luxuries. Anyway, you have a lot of land that rightfully is yours. The task is to play as the Ottomans on an unmodded Continents map with Large size and Standard speed.
Playing this on now. Warrior to hill then SIP. Aiming for 2 city Liberty NC, then fill up the starting content. Get the UU and cannons online, see what I can do. T75 at the moment, and Wonders are going very fast. Someone enhanced early, so no Pantheon for me. That made me desperate enough to open Piety. It is a total crock that Liberty finisher cannot be used for GPr unless you have a pantheon. If I miss the last religion, I will rage quit and try running a Piety game. I have not tried that in quite a while!
My Piety gambit t worked, but nothing much else did. I abandoned my first play through ~T250 when I could not find an Ideology where I could keep Happy above -20.

I reset to my first expo and did a four-city NC, catching a pantheon this time, so no need to bother with Piety. I did four more cities to Oxford, and no more expanses after that. I always appreciate a map that lets me run Liberty!

I was late to Ideologies, but that at least let me run Freedom. The only The only late-game Wonder I picked up was Hubble. Nevertheless, I thought I was doing well enough that I could spare a war with the neighbor (after I unlocked the Fleas). The war was going fine, but then the faraway runaway launched on T332.

My game was going pretty slow, so I didn’t think I could match that pace. Still, I reloaded back to when I closed out Rationalism (T296), and just turtled for the SV from there. This time, the faraway runaway stayed at war, and he only had three parts when I launched on T342. I only bought one SS part.

Thanks @Nizef for the game!

Last edited:
Finished #91 with a T204 DomV

Spoiler :
Went for Machinery after Education and took Babylon ~T130 and Gao ~T145 with crossbows. Bulbed two GWs for faster Secularism and reached Dynamite on turn 153. Sent one army to Austria and Morocco and another to Egypt, Rome and France. In the end I actually had my Moroccan army swim all the way to Paris and they got there a couple of turns faster than the Egypt-Rome units. Won the World's Fair along the way which provided a huge happiness boost (finished Commerce and went Order for the instant happiness from Monuments and Workshops).

20200709214833_1.jpg

EDG-1 Turn 303 loss.

Oh well, recently lost all my save files, so I have no idea which ones in the series I've played all the way through. Decided, what the heck, start over and try em all. That means start at 1.

Didnt love the start. Salt is great of course, but I prefer coastal starts when Im gonna run max specialists for Cargo Ships. Moved to a hill/river/mountain tile 2 spaces away to found. 2nd city grabbed FoY, 3rd went to the coast. 2 more before going for NC. used liberty finisher for a GS and built an academy. not sure if that was the best choice, but oh well. had some early issues with Mongolia, but the 2 cities by the mountains/FoY were very defensible, so held out. Built 1 more city where i started, and then managed to sneak a city up by Mongolia where the GBR was.

Played a very defensive game and never went to war with anyone again. This would end up hurting me, but i didnt realize it until too late. I was humming along nicely, and would have been set for a SV around turn 314-315 or so. Just waiting on the Order 3rd tier policy. The problem was I had not payed any attention to diplomacy as Alex wasnt in the game, and Ive never lost a diplo V without him around. Siam had gone crazy on the opposite end of the world and had allied everyone. Most of them with 200-400 influence to spare. I tried everything I could to sway some C/S to my side, but even with all spies trying coups and using every coin I had, there was no chance. He was making 500/turn, and always had 10K or more gold to spare. As the AI goes after you, there was no way to hold an ally, and every time I got an ally, it would flip back the same turn. Had I survived the last world leader vote, I may have won, althoiugh Siam had also already launched 5 parts, but was missing the one on the bottom tree, so I dont know if he had the tech yet. Had I built any sort of offensive military, I could have taken some CS to stop this, but as I said, had played D all game, and switching to military would have stopped any chance of beating him to space.

off to #2

As the AI goes after you, there was no way to hold an ally, and every time I got an ally, it would flip back the same turn.
You can ally a CS and declare war on the AI on your turn, so that the CS DoWs them as well. Also I think the AI doesn't try to ally a CS if it has to spend more than 500 gold to get it, but I don't know if the code is different when the AI is close to a Diplo win.

I've recently decided to try most if not all of the EDGs as well, but I'm going in the opposite direction, starting with the most recent games. Currently on turn 112 in #90:

Spoiler :
4-city Tradition, T83 NC into T101 Chivalry and T112 Education. Farmed a Great General vs Indonesia, then citadel-bombed Surabaya to get some tiles for Medina, took Jakarta on the same turn and made peace for 55 gpt or so.

20200711114643_1.jpg

I'm friends with Russia, Korea, Netherlands and Polynesia and we've all denounced evil Indonesia and Babylon. I'm planning to take a city or two from the Shoshone, so I should start the denouncement chain against them too. I also want Babylon (Notre Dame) and Akkad (Petra, Machu Picchu).

First religion (thanks to Wittenberg) with Earth Mother, Tithe, Pagodas and then 15% production and IP. No chance to get Borobudur with the tech path I chose, but you can't have it all.

Going for a science win here most likely.

EDGE#92: Sandwiched
If I calculated correctly, this civ is the last to appear in this series this year. (Actually I didn´t calculate correctly. We are still missing games with Babylon and France).The task is to play as Greece on an unmodded Pangaea map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. Also this map is highly surprising. You have a nice starting area and should be able found 4-6 cities yourself. But remember to do it sooner rather than later. Your neighbour to the SE is expanding and also the neighbour to the NW seems to expand towards you. I manually added Darius and Suleiman. I mean, we are playing as Greece after all. I had a steady journey but I could not really allow myself to play with an adventurous playstyle because 2-3 of the AIs are doing very well here. As in the previous game I also uploaded pictures, this time from t101 and t299. Enjoy!

I played according to HOF rules and also submitted my win. There is a short recap of my game behind the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settled t1 next to the mountain to the SE and BO was Scoutx2-Shrine-Granary-Settlerx2-Worker. I stole one worker from Sweden and two from Columbo. 3 city NC on t90 and Education on t110. I built Oracle before NC and got the 3rd religion with TotG/Tithe/Pagodas/Plowshares/IP. I had good faith output, but that did not help me much. Persia´s religion was all over the place and also Sweden had a very aggressive religion. At the end I did not even bother to hold my religion in my own cities. I added two cities after NC. Around the same time I also built Machu Picchu.

In the midgame Suleiman paid me a couple of visits but he attacked with ships only and never made any progress whatsoever. Both Darius and Gustav were plotting against me but I redirected their efforts elsewhere. Only now I really got worried about Japan. They were spamming cities and also conquering CS and Morocco (even If they stayed alive thanks to Fes, which was situated on "my" side of the vast mountain ridge. I entered Industrial on t159 and was third to pick an ideology. Sweden had already taken Order but I decided to join them down that route anyway. This turned out to be a good decision. I also voted for Gustav´s proposals in the WC and we were buddies to the end of the game. I missed out on some key cultural wonders but built the PT and focused on science.

In the endgame, I relly needed to optimize because Sweden had a heck of a game. They were first to Modern, first to Atomic and I just barely beat them to Information. Their culture was massive and only Japan could hold out against that (much thanks to them conquering most of Persia and Morocco). Japan ended the game on 30 cities. I diverted their efforts towards Sweden, Persia and the Ottomans long enough to buy my first Atomic bomb. After that they did not harrass me at all. I still had to play efficiently to win at all. At the end I launched on t299 but Sweden lacked only one tech themselves. SP: full Tradition, Commerce 2, Rationalism 5 and Order 6.

Attachments

• edge92greece2.jpg
    edge92greece2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 133
  • PDSAlex_Ini_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    991.4 KB · Views: 114
  • edge92greecet101.jpg
    edge92greecet101.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 138
  • edge92greecet299win.jpg
    edge92greecet299win.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
You can ally a CS and declare war on the AI on your turn, so that the CS DoWs them as well. Also I think the AI doesn't try to ally a CS if it has to spend more than 500 gold to get it, but I don't know if the code is different when the AI is close to a Diplo win.

I've recently decided to try most if not all of the EDGs as well, but I'm going in the opposite direction, starting with the most recent games. Currently on turn 112 in #90:

Spoiler :
4-city Tradition, T83 NC into T101 Chivalry and T112 Education. Farmed a Great General vs Indonesia, then citadel-bombed Surabaya to get some tiles for Medina, took Jakarta on the same turn and made peace for 55 gpt or so.

View attachment 562411

I'm friends with Russia, Korea, Netherlands and Polynesia and we've all denounced evil Indonesia and Babylon. I'm planning to take a city or two from the Shoshone, so I should start the denouncement chain against them too. I also want Babylon (Notre Dame) and Akkad (Petra, Machu Picchu).

First religion (thanks to Wittenberg) with Earth Mother, Tithe, Pagodas and then 15% production and IP. No chance to get Borobudur with the tech path I chose, but you can't have it all.

Going for a science win here most likely.
dang, never thought about declaring war. might go back and restart from my last autosave before he won to see if that does it

Your comments above made me really happy. Thank you for trying out the games!

In EDGE#1 I think I used the same tile for my capital. In EDGE#90 Buenos AIres and Prague are interesting cities to visit/ally.

EDGE#93: Magnifique!, CV challenge
I had to redeem myself for the misleading introduction in the previous game and hastily played a game with France to get closer to completion of the line up for this year... I know you will not believe me, but this IS the first roll and Napoleon was granted a Salt start. We play an unmodded Pangaea map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. Also this map is surprising and you will not have to fear any early invasions. In fact you will likely have the opposite problem, where are most of the AIs? This is a Pangaea map after all... All AIs were selected randomly but it turned out to be many competent AIs on this map! You will most likely go for 4-5 cities yourself and take it from there. As described in the headline the aim of the game is to achieve a cultural victory. As in the previous games I also uploaded pictures, this time from t101 and t334. Enjoy!

Spoiler :

Settled t1 next to the mountain to the NE and BO was Scoutx2-Shrine-Granary-Settlerx3-Worker. I stole one worker from Ethiopia and one from a CS. I first settled the "crappy" NW to the N and then two more cities along the southern coast. I built the Oracle on t79 and 4 city NC on t91. I reached Education very late on t120. The early game was surprisingly rough and in fact I lost both my Scouts by being too optimistic. Speaking of NWs, how is it fair that Ethiopia has access to Uluru? Anyway I got the fourth religion with Earth Mother/Tithe/Pagodas/Plowshares/Messiah. I had mediocre faith output, but luckily my isolated start helped me preserve my religion in my cities. Most early wonders went too fast for me and I was seventh (rock bottom since Alexander didn´t make it further than to t60) to Renaissance.

In the midgame I beelined for Architecture and managed to build the Uffizi. Then I beelined Industrialization but of course I had no Coal. Luckily my buddy Washington had a lot to spare. Then I rushed to Archeology and got there first, thus managing 11 AS. I had to dig inside the borders of America and the Huns to do so. Washington picked Authocracy and I went for Order (I know Freedom is kind of the way to go for a CV, but I wanted to try something different). Ethiopia took Freedom but the rest of the pack all went Authocracy. So I really needed to develop my culture and tourism just to stay happy. Attila had a bad time getting beaten by Poland and America.

In the endgame, I got the required techs at a reasonable pace but both America and Poland had massive culture pools and I had to overcome some 72.000 culture to actually win the game. I needed four GMus to get the win. Three would have been enough for Poland but since there were two strong AIs, I needed a fourth. My average faith generation only allowed me to faith buy one, but then I started to ally myself with the religious CS and that way I could speed up the faith generation a little bit. I also had to build the Great Firewall and just barely beat Poland to it. No wars for France in this game but the AIs actually engaged in a nuclear war with Washington being the culprit. In the end I won on t334. Not impressive but everything get so slow with only four cities and Orleans was not very good. SP: full Tradition, Patronage 2, full Aestethics, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Order 8.

Attachments

• edge93france2start.jpg
    edge93france2start.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 142
  • PDSNapoleon_Ini_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    986.5 KB · Views: 137
  • edge93francet101.jpg
    edge93francet101.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 145
  • edge93francet334win.jpg
    edge93francet334win.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Finished #90 with a T212 SV

Spoiler :
Pocatello made it easy for me and captured Kyzyl just as I was about to denounce and DoW him. I liberated Kyzyl and captured Moson Kahni very quickly. The siege of Babylon and Akkad took a long time though and I was done with those only by turn 157 or so.

One funny moment was when Kyzyl asked for a road connection to my capital and the quest was completed the turn after, because Russia was kind enough to do it for me:

Spoiler :
20200712134753_1.jpg

Later on I used the Russian roads to connect all my cities to the capital. Pretty neat how you can do that on a cramped map like Lakes.

I didn't play the ending very well, it took 35 turns to get from Plastics to victory which is a bit slower than I would've liked. The timing was awkward, I had to wait for one last natural GS to spawn before I could finish Hubble, though in the end it was only one turn faster than if I'd just built Hubble asap. I would've avoided all these issues if I'd taken the 50 faith per GP used enhancer and gotten 3 faith GSs instead of 2 GS + 1 GE.

Spoiler :
20200712185203_1.jpg

Finished #90 with a T212 SV

That is of course a fantastic finishing time. I noted that you had Jakarta at a mediocre pop16 at the end. I must say that it was probably one of the worst capitals I have ever conquered.

Top Bottom