Entropy Magic

ClasuSiosa

Thespian of the Sword
Entropy Magic, what is it supposed to be? I looked it up on wiki and all i got was thermodynamics/social dynamics, so what is entropy magic supposed to be?
I mainly need answer because im DMing a rpg based on FFH and thus i need to understand Entropy.

Entropy is the energy in a system that can no longer be harnessed to perform work. This energy is essentially lost and unrecoverable, and so the conversion of available energy to entropy sometimes described as a process of decay. Entropy magic is conceived in that sense; such magic is the channeling of magical energy to accelerate processes of decay.

Rust (Entropy I) is a good example of this: metal has been carefully forged into weapons and armor, but then the application of entropy magic causes the natural process of rust to accelerate to the point that years of corrosion takes place almost instantly. Similarly, Wither (Entropy III) can be seen as the use of entropy magic to age living beings, causing physical damage and reduced capability as years of lifespan pass in moments.

Summon Pit Beast (Entropy II) isn't an example of directing entropy mana to accelerate decay. Instead it summons a demon - one of the harbingers of Entropy who seeks to drive all energy into the universe into entropy and thus destroy all existence. Presumably a caster capable of wielding this power is able to call on the assistance of the demon under the pretext that its service to the caster will further its own goal of accelerating the decay of the universe.

In Erebus, Entropy is synonymous with Despair. Agares was created as the Angel of Hope, but thanks to his false hope of retaining the power of ex nihilo creation and overthrowing his creator he was left broken, and hopeless. The King of Hope now stands for Despair, and since he long ago gave up any hope of winning he devotes himself to making sure everyone else looses too. (Misery loves company, after all.) The closest thing to a victory he now hopes for is showing The One that Creation is naturally flawed and that all his sins are the fault of his imperfect creator. He does not seriously believe that even that could happen though.

Entropy is the energy in a system that can no longer be harnessed to perform work

In a perfectly ordered system there would no little or no energy lost to entropy. Viewed this way, order is in opposition to entropy.

Thanks a bunch, my rpg shall go on!

Top Bottom