Enviromental dependant Science

masaykh

Prince
One thing that i dont like about civ: our prehistoric people somehow knew that they "research" - but in reality it is not only impossible but actally less fun.

Enviroment dictate what one or other country have access for and can use for their live.
Like how africans can have woodworking if they dont have forests?
Or how you can "research" some metal if you dont have it?

Like you have iron but no copper, so you need to obtain first copper and only then you can research and use iron.

I suggest to make some of techs enviroment dependant and some meta techs what give acess but dont enable using of accessed resources.

Metals
Gems
Grains
Fruits
Skinning (need to be available only if you have access to skinnible animals)
Stone and Marble (both can be opened by same tech)

I think it is good idea for hardcore mode as it will make game more harder but in other hand more fun.

and some offtopic:
If there is knowledged or simply interested in JavaScript developer and he want to participate in creating of online game with best of civ and my enviroment dictated techs - please pm me^)

The problem is that without camel AND horse, you will be stuck early ancien era cith the actual tech tree...

Not when you provide routes around those techs. This is what Hydro, DH and I were discussing at great length in the ideas and discussions thread.

It would take a tremendous effort to pull this off and it's something we would probably like to do at some point. Whether it's critical to do NOW and risk greatly destabilizing our tech tree over at this point is a matter the team leads are a bit split on. I personally don't want to fool with it yet but I'm strongly in favor of the DIRECTION you're pointing in.

Many cultures dont go too far in their knowledge (australian aborigens) becouse of less resources available then other cultures. This must be simulated.

So, tou wont be able to play on map with many continent, because everyone risk to be stuck before being able to have navigation?

I dont tjink it's because african dont have ressource they didn't go so far in technology: they have wood (no, Africa is not a giant desert), gold, iron, uranium, coal, diamond...

Australia have wood, iron, coal and uranium. In fact, more ressource than Europe. With this logic only, you dont explain well your aborigene example.

You can learn how to use something only if you have it.
only this i want to say and to see this function in game:)

But techs like Iron Working reveal Iron resource. How can you know you have it or not without researching the tech?

Reveals (and even basic access to 'having' the resource) should precede the research of the ability to work the stuff with any real effectiveness.

Iron was used long before it was worked. Meteor iron has been used well before the ability to get iron from rock which is what Iron Working is about. It was hammered into shape suitable for jewelery, cutlery and small weapons.

I'm not opposed to the basic idea but iron working is a poor example. The technology you need to produce iron from ore is more advanced than what you need to produce copper or bronze or gold e.t.c. And without any earlier experiments with 'easier' metallurgy it is highly unlikely iron working would have developed. And as for the aboriginals in australia. The reason they didn't develop iron working e.t.c was not lack of metal deposits, they used meteoric iron when they could just like everyone else on the planet. The resources they lacked to keep them from pretty much all civ techs was all the domesticable crops and animals. Without any crops for any would-be farmer to grow or animals for any would-be pastoralist to herd they decided to stay hunter-gatherers.

... without any earlier experiments with 'easier' metallurgy it is highly unlikely iron working would have developed.

It does not have to develop "in house". There are couple of examples I know of where the tech was imported either through trade or when a whole group of people migrate from their homelands to the safety of another nation. If I was being mischievous I would say that a modern example of this was rocketry exported from Germany to the rest of the world after WWII.:mischief:

Top Bottom