Epic speed in Civ 4 is still too quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielos

Emperor
I think that time passes too quick even on "epic" timescale. I don´t like when new technologies are discovered before I even had the chance to fully implement the last technology. I like it when you are stuck with your stone-age-units for a long time and each new advance is a big event, a bit of a technological WONDER, something I need to fully implement in my civilization in the long waiting for any new technologies.

I know this snail-pace in technological evolution is not in everyone´s taste but why not include another speed-option: "grand epic", where the incremental time-steps even in ancient times are small, and technology comes at the pace of the "normal" time-steps? I hope i make myself clear...

Slower technology-pace means a more epic Civilization!

I agree with you.
If you are a succesful civ (top 3 civs in the world) then the speed of tech research is very fast. You can research most techs at a speed of one per 4 or 5 turns. On epic! I don't want to know how fast it will be on normal or fast! One per turn on fast?
The pace of normal speed is faster then Civ3. Epic is only a bit slower then Civ3 I think. In the beginning of the game it is slow enough. But later on in the game it is still too fast. Maybe it has to do something with the fact that a turn is at least a year. Maybe in the 20th century it should be split in two?

Agree, i'd love to play a Reaaaaaly long game. :) except it would be kind of unrealistic having the entire world map discovered before the industrial/modern era, which would happen in such a game...

It's probably quite easy to change.

See $\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml.

'Normal' is fine for me. :)

Whole heartedly agree here. Last nights game the tech was really moving fast to the extent where I was upgrading Archers to SAM Infantry in my border cities.

I was fairly lucky though and had managed to spread my religeon through my bordering neighbours who hadn't founded any religeons.

Louix, Mao and I (England) remained firm allies through out the whole game.

In the late game I tend to lower the research slider and get some culture/money instead. This way I can rush build a lot. A succesful civ doesn't need to be the science leader.

By the way: I am playing at normal speed/ standard map/ monarch. And the game speed in 1.09 feels ok. I think when playing at a larger map it is better to switch to 'epic speed'.

Maybe you should try a higher difficulty level? It is said that it slows research.

Well, I play on "Monarch" and get clobbered, so I don´t think that´s an option for me! :)

There are mods to slow down the game like you want, but there really should have been a grand epic speed!

Epic on a large map suits me just fine. It started off seeming far to quick, but settled down as I got into the middle part of the game. The technology speed can be a bit quick, especially if you focus on military techs, as the new units keep on coming - at least it's possible to upgrade.

Agree, i'd love to play a Reaaaaaly long game. except it would be kind of unrealistic having the entire world map discovered before the industrial/modern era, which would happen in such a game...
That's a good point. Slowing down the tech is only part of the story.
On the other hand, you still need ships that can sail across the ocean to explore the whole map.

Danielos said:
I don´t like when new technologies are discovered before I even had the chance to fully implement the last technology.

This has nothing to do with Game Speed setting. On Epic, more turns are added, but all the costs go up as well, so that's a wash. All three game speeds have the same gameplay balance.

If you really want slower games, KEEP THE SAME GAME SPEED but increase all the tech costs by a factor of X, and increase the number of turns in the game by a similar factor.

- Sirian

I second that. Half the games I play I hardly go to war for most of the game since I am trapped on the science/ improvement treadmill and any army is obsolete before it is large enough. This is on Epic. End up going to war in the late game more out of boredom than anything else

This realism mod makes the game feel much more correctly paced

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137650

I am playing with the 18 civ world map that I also downloaded from the downloads section here, and combined with the realism mod, it feels like I am replaying world history :) Many of the discoveries are occuring at the time when they really were discovered. I played all night last night and only got to about 1000AD or so, and I am a quick player. Check it out.

If it is mostly the tech-rate you find going to quick, you could try to disable tech trading.
This should make the pace go down abit.

The marathon speed (which is slower) came out a few years ago for anyone looking at this since the first posts.

Why would anyone be following a 13 post thread that has been inactive for six years?

Try the world map in Realism Invictus (mod) and you will have a truly epic game - highly recommended! Though unfortunately the turns times can become really long in the late game. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom