[R&F] Era Score: What Gives It And How Much?

That's an interesting take. My own perspective is that the already-favoured slinger-first builds are optimal because barbarian camps provide more era score than villages and are more reliably obtainable in quantity, so you want to be able to go on the offensive ASAP.

The caveat to that being that I fell five points short of entering a Classical Golden Age, but I only had three villages available - I don't think picking up a couple more that might have been taken before I got to them would have offset the +6 I got from clearing camps in the Ancient Era.

I agree with going after barbarian camps, but scouts help you find those camps. Scout->slinger->builder? I might just have to suck it up and go into the dark age in Classical.

A good mid-game enhancement for Era score is to build the Taj Mahal. Gives +1 Era score to any event that generates a +2 score or better - makes all of those +4 and +5 events into +5 and +6

I agree with going after barbarian camps, but scouts help you find those camps. Scout->slinger->builder? I might just have to suck it up and go into the dark age in Classical.

Another thing is with the slightly lower science per pop, I've noticed my early techs take a few more turns each (2.7 to 2.5 is about a 10% reduction after all), so that ever so slightly alters how early you need to get a builder too.

I'm finding it very hard to make even a normal age the later in the game I am. In fact, in every game bar one I've played I've made a golden age in classical and the rests of the game was spent in dark ages or occasionally making a normal age. Regardless of the supposed"powerful" dedications you a get in a dark age it is very hard to get out of one later in the game. Much of this is due to the fact that most of the era scores can only be gained in early ages. On levels of emperor or higher it just gets worse as you are unlikely to get many wonders and the AIs use of corps and armies makes warfare so much harder then it was.

I was hoping this expansion would make me play more Civ 6 but so far it's a bit "meh".

I'm finding it very hard to make even a normal age the later in the game I am. In fact, in every game bar one I've played I've made a golden age in classical and the rests of the game was spent in dark ages or occasionally making a normal age. Regardless of the supposed"powerful" dedications you a get in a dark age it is very hard to get out of one later in the game. Much of this is due to the fact that most of the era scores can only be gained in early ages. On levels of emperor or higher it just gets worse as you are unlikely to get many wonders and the AIs use of corps and armies makes warfare so much harder then it was.

I was hoping this expansion would make me play more Civ 6 but so far it's a bit "meh".

What was your plan for escaping a Dark Age? I managed to get out of mine a turn before the Renaissance ended (like you, I entered a Classical Golden Age and went into a Medieval Dark Age), but had to do it aggressively - this is Immortal, so era score for being first to civics/techs are hard to come by and you're unlikely to get them from Wonders (i was beaten to three Wonders in the early game, which set me back quite a bit - especially since I'd come close to completing Petra). I'm also in the process of building the Taj Mahal. I had secured a religion, and had reasonable faith production, so I chose Exodus of the Evangelists and focused on aggressively churning out missionaries and apostles (getting the boost to era score for completing the religion).

I'm not sure how good the DA dedications are - the trade one's barely different from the diplomatic policy that gives you extra food and production from trade, for instance. But at the same time, other than loyalty problems from settling poorly, I don't see any real downsides to being in a Dark Age - it feels worse than it seems to be mechanically. I didn't notice any hit to my science output; I think the DA penalties only come indirectly from reducing loyalty, but only one of my core cities ever had loyalty fall below 100, and then not by much before I installed a governor.

What difficulty are you playing on?

I've played two full R&F games so far (one on 4, one on 6) and I have yet to get put in a dark age

It would be great if the era point requirements for the next age were to scale with game speed.

It's much easier to get Golden Ages at marathon speed and much harder to get Golden Ages at online speed.

Note that it affects not only the player, but the AI as well.

A little hard to see but here is a report of all the "Moments", their era score, max and min era unlocked, and era obsolete.

I assume Interest has something to do with the AI but I am not sure.

upload_2018-2-9_23-36-26.png

BTW I was unsure what some of these did, like the Build on Desert one. I happened to have a game open where I had a Settler near desert. You indeed get a era point for settling on desert (and presumably Tundra and Snow too):

upload_2018-2-9_23-44-29.png

What difficulty are you playing on?

I've played two full R&F games so far (one on 4, one on 6) and I have yet to get put in a dark age

He said Emperor and above, so at least 6. That will make a meaningful difference as you can get a lot of historic moments from techs, civics and Wonders at lower levels.

So far into the Modern age in my playthrough - I've had four normal (Ancient, Renaissance, Industrial, Modern), one Golden (Classical) and one Dark (Medieval) Ages on Immortal. Avoiding the Dark Ages demanded actively working dedications (Exodus of the Evangelists and Hic Sunt Dracones in my case - the latter left me two points short of a golden age, and I actually got an historic moment that would have put me straight in a golden age the very turn the era changed - so it didn't count towards the new era).

+4 era score for completing your first campus which has 3 or more adjacency bonus

Seemed really dumb that all the space race projects were only +1 era score. If anything should help propel you to a golden or heroic age in the late game its being the first to space!

Consider that one of the easiest ways to get points in the late game is extracting artifacts which also give +1 Era Score (repeatable) and it even makes it more out of whack.

I'm not 100% on the points for these, as I've only half way through my first R&F game, but I ran into some of these, which I didn't see listed:
Capturing another CIV's capital, may have been plus 5.
Capturing another CIV's last city
Building first City on a desert tile
Not sure what sparked this, by a I got a historic moment for a Naval Battle in which my galley survived with minimal damage from Quadreme bombardment, with a message about heroic songs being sung in my seaside towns. May be surviving a naval encounter against the odds or something.
Building an "old" wonder gives less than a contemporary one.
Building a new wonder.
Recruiting an "old" great person.
Recruiting a new great person.
Circumnavigating

Also, on those that are listed, some are worth less points in later eras. For instance, clearing barbarians gets you nothing in later eras, per the new Civlopedia entry.

Also, it's worth noting that your get extra points depending on your directives that count toward your era score but don't show up as historic moments. For instance, selecting the science-oriented directive gives points for each Eureka, which can add up quickly in certain parts of the game. (After the Renaissance, I find the Eurekas get more challenging without being triggered by a GS.) Also worth noting that there seems to be some kind of unclear game mechanic about how many times you can use the same directive in consecutive eras.

any idea from where i strech these eras score ? theyre too short for me.also if anyone knows from where i block/hide this era timer it'll be great

Seemed really dumb that all the space race projects were only +1 era score. If anything should help propel you to a golden or heroic age in the late game its being the first to space!

Consider that one of the easiest ways to get points in the late game is extracting artifacts which also give +1 Era Score (repeatable) and it even makes it more out of whack.
I agree 100 %, that was really strange. Also quite disappointing that an archaeologist will yield a total of 3 era score (one for each artifact) whereas a great artist only will give you 1 era score (for recruiting him). Artifact museums were already vastly superior to art museums as it were, and this will only skew this balance even more.

Top Bottom