1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Erebus Map Script Question

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Iaian, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Iaian

Iaian Chieftain

When starting a custom game with the Erebus Map Script, what do the two Start options...

Use Erebus Starting Plot Finder
    Use Original Civilization IV Method

... actually mean:confused:

2. Torugu

Torugu Prince

Dunno.

Just don't play on Erebus maps, Valk doesn't like it (correct me if I'm wrong) and the AI can't use it anyway. IIRC it has been removed in 1.3.

3. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

well ... not removed - basically there will be available only two mapscripts, which supports all RifE features. However, you can add others by copying them directly into PrivateMaps folder, or you can use launcher to enable standard mapscripts ( like Pangaea, islands, inland sea, etc ). Although none of them will support all features that RifE has.

4. Abremms

Abremms Prince

what are those two mapscripts? will either of them approximate the mountain encircled realms with lots of chokepoints that the Erebus mapscript had?

it could be a frustrating mapscript, but once in awhile it'd spit out a really fun map when everything lined up right.

Erebus continents is fantastic, but i find myself missing the choke points.

5. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

those two mapscripts are ErebusContinent.py and WorldOfErebus.py

iirc erebuscontinent is only part of continent and worldoferebus is whole world ...

6. Abremms

Abremms Prince

haven't ever played on world of erebus. is it awesome?

7. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

idk ... i'm playing only pangaea and inland_sea ... :D

8. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

Missing the chokepoints? I guess if that's you're thing. I actually think, even with the "fewer" option checked, I'm getting too many mountains. At least near starting positions. And even when they're not in the way of development (if my second and third city placement aren't rendered useless by them), they're not really defensive, so much as the open doorrway for Hill Giants into my realm.

9. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Frankly: NO. I absolutely despise Erebus. The AI is unable to deal with it (those mountain chokepoints funnel barbs down your throat), it actually changes game balance (which maps frankly should not do, not to that extent), and just seems stupid to me. There will be no 'supported' map that uses the same mechanic.

Nothing preventing you from activating Erebus, and it is quite easy; We're just making it quite clear which maps we suggest you use, and that other maps are to be used at your own risk, and will not support all features. :p

Very awesome, and not supposed to have been announced yet, anw. :splat:

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

I guess a good idea would be to change the name back to Creation, that way people won't think it's th default mapscript.

11. Valkrionn

Maybe, but I don't think it's important. By default, it is not selectable in game. You must activate it yourself.

Will be extremely easy to do so with our new launcher, though.

12. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

One question about the new map script: Will Mazatl start right or near Mount Kalshekk?

13. Valkrionn

Turn on flavorstart.

14. Meldon

Meldon Warlord

I suggest always using flavorstart, makes my life a whole lot easier.

15. Valkrionn

It's on by default, so you actually have to turn it off to avoid it. :lol:

16. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

sorry, as i said, i'm playing only Pangaea and inland sea, ignoring any other else mapscript, so I didn't know that world of erebus wasn't released anywhere yet nor that it's special to rife. :D

17. velk

velk Chieftain

That's really non obvious from actually playing - maybe something as simple as 'Erebus Continent (Recommended)' could go a long way to helping that. As it stands, I would still be assuming that both Erebus and Erebus Continent were the official maps if I hadn't read this thread.

18. Valkrionn

It will be very obvious in 1.3. Seeing as Erebus will only be found in the 'UnsupportedMaps' folder, and be entirely unselectable unless you take the time to activate it. No map within that folder will be loaded by the mod, it is entirely for the use of the launcher.