Espionage Chance of Success

Chieftain
Hello,
I recently played a game (on warlord level) where I obtained a cultural win. During that game, i had my espionage slider at the lowest level, and did not build any intelligence agencies or anything in the late game.

However, throughout the game, every single spy attempt on my civ failed. On the other hand, my spying had a high success rate (although I barely did any spying since I had very little espionage points throughout the game, due to not spending any money on it).

At one point, my neighboring civ had a huge spike in espionage points (probably due to a Great Spy), but still there were no successful espionage activities against my civ.

I am guessing the low difficulty level had something to do with it, but other than that, are there other factors (perhaps culture or military units) that affect it? How about presence of my own spies asleep on my cities? I had a couple of spies inactive in my cities, since I had no espionage points to use them.

Also, I could not find any articles that focused on espionage. I am very interested in learning more about it. I am sure that active espionage can play a very important role in many strategies, but I'm still overwhelmed by all of the options. Mainly I have just used a few of them just for fun (poisoning water, causing unhappiness), but since I did not perform any of these in a tactical manner, i wasn't able to understand the benefits of performing them.

Thank you very much!

Top Bottom