Ethical Emperor: Alternate CivCon Ruleset (Draft)

I have a question for those who know more about the game than me. I am spending considerable resources replanting forests that have been wiped out by global warming. I have not seen any instances of grassland or plains being affected anywhere dispite the fact that the sun icon is very orange. I have built no improvements to counter polution but do work carefully to clear it when it appears.

My assumption is that if forests are depleted to a large extent then the game will begin to eat away at grasslands and plains, which I cannot repair.

If my assumption is incorrect then I should be simply mining the tundra.

Does my thinking reflect the game system as it does work or merely that way I think it should?

I am going to tweak rule 2 pertaining to cumulative bad acts to include nuking. Germany has again nuked the hell out of the Aztecs, for the second time cutting off my luxury trade with them. This so affects our strategic interests that I believe it necessary to put a provision in the rules that would allow something to counter it.

I don't mind all that much the slaughter of someone else's virtual civilians but I do need my fur coats and piano keys.

I'm not sure the number of forests matters in global warming? Usually if you have gotten so far in to the game that is is a problem, you could have won long ago. You can turn it off in the editor as well. Just set the tiles they deplete to to none or the same tile.

You guys probably know most of this, but in case you don't. I believe that global warming is caused by polluted tiles and that forests have no effect. Nuclear pollution also counts towards global warming. The game rolls the chance for global warming each turn and the number of polluted and radiated tiles applies to the roll. Besides prompt clean up, the player can reduce their own pollution by building the mass transit and recycling improvements and also by switching coal and oil power plants to hydro, nuclear or solar power plants. The Hoover Dam wonder is valuable as a shortcut to non polluting power. The AI doesn't do well at cleaning up their own tiles so you can still see frequent global warming cycles. There is not much the player can do about polluted and radiated tiles on AI territory short of invading and cleaning up the tiles yourself.

You guys probably know most of this, but in case you don't. I believe that global warming is caused by polluted tiles and that forests have no effect. Nuclear pollution also counts towards global warming. The game rolls the chance for global warming each turn and the number of polluted and radiated tiles applies to the roll. Besides prompt clean up, the player can reduce their own pollution by building the mass transit and recycling improvements and also by switching coal and oil power plants to hydro, nuclear or solar power plants. The Hoover Dam wonder is valuable as a shortcut to non polluting power. The AI doesn't do well at cleaning up their own tiles so you can still see frequent global warming cycles. There is not much the player can do about polluted and radiated tiles on AI territory short of invading and cleaning up the tiles yourself.

This still leaves me scratching my head as to why not a single grassland or plains square has been converted in this game. I've seen that in past games along with the conversion of swamps. As I look at the world map I see almost no forests left in the entire world, except in tundra and these are mostly those I have replanted.

I am almost tempted to let them go and put in mines just to see if the game engine would switch to other terrain types. But lagging on score I need to avoid the population losses.

With a dozen forests vanishing each turn I yearn for a replace forest only auto key.

Top Bottom